Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Among the reasons for the new optimism: a significant easing of the credit crunch, improvement in consumer spending, a potential bottom in housing, a less-grim jobs picture and expectations that the government's massive stimulus spending could start boosting economic growth sooner than later.

US Economy Could Rebound Much Sooner Than Expected - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com
The CBO is predicting that the 0bama budget and stimulous will result in a short up tick in the economy, and then it tanks. We cannot sustain any of this, and simply printing more money will only make things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This begs the question: If the economy is doing this on it's own, then why the need for the "massive stimulus spending [that] could start boosting economic growth sooner than later?"

I've held all along that the free marketplace will work itself out. These things you boast of are independent of the stimulus, at least as it is stated here. What gives?
It's NOT done it on it's own.
The credit crises has eased because of the money Bush and Obama have pumped into the banks.

The stimulus spending is to ensure that the recovery doesn't sputter and fade.

True enough the economy WOULD have recovered on it's - the questions however is HOW SOON - and how robust would the recovery be?

Would the recovery have come in 5 years?
10 years?

There have been historical recessions that have lasted DECADES.

Ken

Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
It is nice to see that people are optimistic about the economy, as not all of us are.

Job loss continues to be rather high, and has not slowed down at all despite the stock market recovery. Even when the stocks go back up, it does not guarantee the jobs will be recovered, the slow return can sometimes take years.

In the past, few situations have pulled us out of recession. Generally wars have pulled us out of recession in the past, other than that only radical economic policy changes, and a boom in specific sectors (technology, dot com, housing, etc.) have pulled the economy out of recession in years past.

In any case, it makes you wonder what real impact the stimulus will have if the economy recovers while only <13% of the spending has begun. Does not bode well for Obama's public image if it turns out the situation was not as 'dire' and the results 'catastrophic' as we were told.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:37 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
It is nice to see that people are optimistic about the economy, as not all of us are.

Job loss continues to be rather high, and has not slowed down at all despite the stock market recovery. Even when the stocks go back up, it does not guarantee the jobs will be recovered, the slow return can sometimes take years.
Actually job losses have started to slow:

Jobless claims show surprise decline - Apr. 30, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

In any case, it makes you wonder what real impact the stimulus will have if the economy recovers while only <13% of the spending has begun. Does not bode well for Obama's public image if it turns out the situation was not as 'dire' and the results 'catastrophic' as we were told.
That will no doubt be the GOP argument - and whether true or not, most people will still give the credit to Obama.

Personally, I don't think the situation needed to be as bad as it was - and now people are starting to realize that. By that I mean, that - while the financial crisis was/is bad, I think the "deer in the headlights" image Bush conveyed during the height of the crises back in September/October panicked the markets. While there was no doubt the markets were headed for a correction anyway, I think Bush made the the crises a whole lot worse by the way he behaved. Whereas Obama appeared calm and collected in the crises, Bush seemed just the opposite (as did McCain to a certain degree) - triggering the massive slide in the market that occurred during that 2 week period.

The massive market crash in turn panicked businesses (and the American people in general) - which put the economy into an even steeper dive than it was headed for anyway. Now, I think folks are realizing that much of it was an over-reaction - hence (in part) the recovery of the markets and the signs of hope for economy in general.

Don't get me wrong. The economic crises was/is bad - but not QUITE as bad as it seemed.

Ken

Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The CBO, back in January 2009, predicted the recession would end late 2009/early 2010 - that is without any interference/stimulus.

But, of course, you didn't read that report, did you?
Actually the report is says nothing of the sort.

How about reading it for yourself.

http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/100xx/doc1000...ts_of_ARRA.pdf

Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
I've been saying for weeks that things are starting to turn around - much to the likely irritation of this boards' Obamabashers. The stock market is already well into the recovery - with both the DOW and the S&P pretty much recovered back to the point that they were at when Obama was sworn in (and the NASDAQ already recovered well beyond that and in positive territory for the year) we are now well over 20% up from the lows of early March. The NASDAQ has had 8 SOLID weeks of gains, and the S&P and DOW have been up 7 of the last 8 weeks - and so far look to be up again this week.

This is not because of some fluke - there are good reasons behind it. While the economy is still in recession, there have been a LOT of indicators over the last few weeks that are suggesting that we are either at or very, very near the bottom - and the markets has been responding appropriately.

There is no doubt this is going to be a very tough year, but by the end of the year, the picture will likely look very different and I expect next year to see a LOT of improvement.

All of this is very bad news for the Obamabashers of course, who were frantically hoping for a total collapse of the economy so that Obama could be shown to be failing and the door re-opened for the GOP.

Unfortunately for them, I doubt that either of those things are going to happen.

Ken
Good to see you around here Ken, I was hoping you would chime in. The market has shown lots of resiliancy lately. I think we still may see a summer drop, but there is a lot optimism all of the sudden.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Of course the folks who back Obama will swear up and down that everything is looking better because of what Obama has done, but there are two problems with this:

1. He hasn't been in office nearly long enough to actually make change.
2. The CBO said that things were going to get better WITHOUT any additional government spending.

Of course no Obama supporter is bothering to talk about the fact that the U.S. government is broke for the year and is now operating on borrowed money until October 1st (That means they have already spent all taxes collected from 2007). And even when told about this, they still insist that they will never have their taxes raised, and they are probably right, all the government has to do is to start taking away tax credits to increase revenue, but they can stand right there and say "But we kept our promise, we didn't raise your taxes!"

The end result is the same, each year all of use will be writing bigger and bigger checks to the IRS, the government has no other choice, it is spending money way to fast for any other plan to work.
I linked the CBO testimony, I suggest reading it in its entirety.

It is critical of the stimulus but is supportive of it overall. The CBO clearly states that its estimates for the recovery without the stimulus are a ROSY scenario. It says that the recovery estimations without stimulus are "if" the recession runs a normal course and further states that this recession shows no signs of doing so and the recovery could be much worse.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Since none of the stimulus has even kicked in yet and considering the CBO said in Jan 2009 the recession would end late this year, early next - it has little to do with obama.

So far, obama has lost over 2,000,000 jobs.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/99xx/doc9...07-Outlook.pdf
Yet the speculation of the effect of the money from the stimulus sure is a factor for the confidence?

Its going to be a long "EIGHT" years for you.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This begs the question: If the economy is doing this on it's own, then why the need for the "massive stimulus spending [that] could start boosting economic growth sooner than later?"

I've held all along that the free marketplace will work itself out. These things you boast of are independent of the stimulus, at least as it is stated here. What gives?
Read the link please?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Yep it's getting better alrighty!! Chrylser's in the tank (which lost us billions) and GM will most likely follow soon (more lost billions). Banks need more money (which they'll get) and may still fail and eventually inflation will have to kick in.
Of course Turbotax Timmie and the Fed are looking at negative interest rates which will be great for you and me short term but when the bill for all this spending comes due all you Obamaites will be singing a different tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies