Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
just a questioin. I bet no one can come up with a single right that a straight person has that a gay person does not. the marriage argument doesn't work. gays have the same rights as straight people when it comes to marriage.
Ah .. but when it comes down to *words, spoken out of anger or frustration, Gays have the upper hand ...

If a Straight guy and a Gay guy got into a fight, and the Gay guy called the Straight guy a bunch of names, nothing would happen to the Gay guy ... but if the Straight guy called the Gay guy a bunch of names during the fight, the Straight guy could be charged with a *Hate Crime ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you can make the marriage argument, but it doesn't really work. a gay man can't marry a man, a straight man can't marry a man. a gay man can marry a woman, a straight man can marry a woman.
That is very self-serving, disingenuous reasoning. You know that the point is that the straight man can profess to a legal union with the partner of his choice in keeping with his sexual preferences; the gay man cannot. That is the true comparison, and you know it.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Ah .. but when it comes down to *words, spoken out of anger or frustration, Gays have the upper hand ...

If a Straight guy and a Gay guy got into a fight, and the Gay guy called the Straight guy a bunch of names, nothing would happen to the Gay guy ... but if the Straight guy called the Gay guy a bunch of names during the fight, the Straight guy could be charged with a *Hate Crime ...
Hate crimes are determined by the motivation. Contrary to what some people believe, there is nothing in the hate crime laws that gives preferences to gays.

If it's determined that your attack on a guy was motivated by a hostility toward his sexual orientation, then yes, you could be charged with a hate crime. My advice: The next time you beat up a gay guy, don't yell "fagg*t" while you're doing it.

It's sort of funny that you say "gays have the upper hand" when it comes to words spoken out of anger or frustration. Guess who invented most of the anti-gay words and phrases? It wasn't gay people.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:03 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
all I know is that God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve
Then I would ask who created Steve? I was taught that God created everything and everyone. BTW, did you know that the man who first came up with that line for Jerry Falwell was a closeted gay man, working as a speech writer for Mr. Falwell?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:10 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:

That just goes to show that you really don't understand hate crimes. Has nothing to do with "getting into a fight". If the straight guy attacks the gay guy and the reason he attacked is because the second guy is gay, then uses terms that indicate that was the reason, then the straight guy is charged with a hate crime. If, OTOH, the gay guy attacks the straight guy and in the process uses terms that show the only reason for the attack was that the second guy was straight, he also could be charged with a hate crime.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:11 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
all I know is that God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve
Maybe you should take the blinders off and stop viewing the world with such a primitive old-world religious interpretation.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hate crimes are determined by the motivation. Contrary to what some people believe, there is nothing in the hate crime laws that gives preferences to gays.

If it's determined that your attack on a guy was motivated by a hostility toward his sexual orientation, then yes, you could be charged with a hate crime. My advice: The next time you beat up a gay guy, don't yell "fagg*t" while you're doing it.

It's sort of funny that you say "gays have the upper hand" when it comes to words spoken out of anger or frustration. Guess who invented most of the anti-gay words and phrases? It wasn't gay people.
You're right about the anti-gay words and phrases.

But what would happen if the Gay guy yelled out his own choice of anti-straight words and preferences? Then what?

The Straight guy got beat up because he was supposedly getting too friendly with the Gay guys partner (Witchita) ... The Straight guy got cited for fighting, but the Gay guy did not, even though he started it and anti-Straight words were used during the fight .. Witnesses both Gay and not, told the police exactly what was said during the altercation incidently, and yet, no one was cuffed and put into the car.

On another occasion, a Gay guy and a Straight guy got into a fight, the Straight guy wouldn't have to use any of the assumed anti-gay words or phrases for it to be presumed a hate crime .. the Straight guy is, by default, cuffed and put into the car when police learn of the sexual orientation between the two combatants.

And before you say anything, I'll ad that this has actually happened (in Houston) .. nothing to do with sexual orientation .. it was money that started it all .. but the police would have no part of it, even on the word of witnesses, both Gay and Straight.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:37 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Still awaiting a response from Amazin Gracie.

Charles
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you as I am getting ready for a cross-country move.

The priests I referred to were the members of the Levitical Priesthood. If you are unfamiliar, read this;

http://www.realtime.net/~wdoud/topics/levpriest.html

Also, it would help if you are familiar with the Holiness Code;

Holiness code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, Leviticus was written for Jews in the time it was written. If it was as applicable today as it was when it was written, ALL the laws would be followed. But they are not. And unfortunately, Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 are routinely picked as an argument against homosexuality.

And for your further reading pleasure, you may want to read this also;

What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link)

"Even the devil can cite Scripture for his purpose" ~ William Shakespeare

Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,346 times
Quote:

That's all well & good but how many instances have you heard of a gay man beating up a straight man? I don't think I've ever heard of one, yet how many instances have you heard of a straight man beating up a gay man?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Maybe you should take the blinders off and stop viewing the world with such a primitive old-world religious interpretation.

Why would I want to go against the way life was meant to be and the way God created it?

I'll leave the blinders on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies