Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,342,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Some yes, but not all foreign Blacks think this way. Some of my closest friends happen to be foreign-born Blacks or the children of foreign-born Blacks.

This is my "take" on the general attitudes of foreign-born Blacks in America. They obviously know that they look more like "us" then White Americans but for many of them there is an effort to distance themselves from the unshakeable stereotypes that plague Black Americans of all walks of life. For others, they embrace the (middle and upper class) Black American culture because it is the one that most readily embraces them.

Also remember that all to often, the only images that foreign-born Blacks have ever seen of Black Americans is that of the underclass so when they encounter "The Huxtables" and realize that "The Huxtables" are not an anomally it is a contradiction of what their (low) expectations were with regard to Black Americans.

I remember having to explain to a friend of mine (Trinidadian) that ALL Black people in America were not slaves when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued; many were free people of color. And that not ALL Blacks were poor until the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Black middle class existed before that time. I also had to explain the "ways" of the Black middle/upper class and many of the traditions that we embrace. It was an eye-opener because foreign-born Blacks never see the way the other half lives.
Execellent explanation

I remember meeting a Chinese kid who was raised by southern whites while in school. I guess that they had told him the way to meet and "get in good" with blacks was to go up to them and say "whats up my n****r"
Nevertheless they tried to get him killed and he did not even know it. I sat him down and explained the origins of the word and how it has been used. The poor guy felt pretty bad after that

I mentioned this story to say that because of the power of the media many negative racial sterotypes are kept going internationally and alot of reality is ignored.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,342,043 times
I think the question should have been "Why do rich people hate the poor?"

Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I think the question should have been "Why do rich people hate the poor?"
And vica versa (not that I'm rich or poor, though closer to the latter if anything)

I think the real question should be: Why are blacks so racist against whites and other non-blacks (yet that's NEVER discussed)?

Better yet, how about: Why are all these latest flash mobs ALL blacks?

Oh, and how about: Why don't blacks get charged with hate crimes even though they attack Whites, Asians, and Hispanics often (especially Whites).

Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,697,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth9 View Post
And vica versa (not that I'm rich or poor, though closer to the latter if anything)

I think the real question should be: Why are blacks so racist against whites and other non-blacks (yet that's NEVER discussed)?

Better yet, how about: Why are all these latest flash mobs ALL blacks?

Oh, and how about: Why don't blacks get charged with hate crimes even though they attack Whites, Asians, and Hispanics often (especially Whites).
Oh, I see you've been banned and are trying to weasel your way back onto C-D.

Good luck. Hope they catch you soon enough.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,343,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

Or a regular user to a shame to post on his/her regular accounts...

Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,625,868 times
Quote:

Why don't you try and answer the question instead of insisting that he is full of BS or whatever.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,697,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Why don't you try and answer the question instead of insisting that he is full of BS or whatever.
I have addressed this, repeatedly. As a Hispanic Black man, I find the question baffling.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,449,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thats what I thought, I have noticed more and more that blacks from other countries come here and immediately distance themselves from the American Blacks, not realizing that to any other American non-black we are one and the same. It rally pizzes me off that they come over here AFTER all hell had broke out (slavery, Jim Crow, riots, lynchings, lawsuits) and than have the audacity to look down on American blacks! It is like I'm hungry and you invite me into your house and I complain about the way your house looks and ugly your children are and demand that you cook what I want to eat!
I have to tell you more and more Americans are taking note of the difference between foreign oriented Blacks and traditional American Blacks. I can't tell you how many times a white person upon hearing my last name immediately associates the name with Ghana.

You'd be wrong to assume just because someone is white that they see all Blacks alike. Let go of your racial baggage.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I believe that he is. No matter how much he goes out of his way to bash AAs and distance himself, to the racists, he's still another black person (not exactly what I wanted to say but probably would've gotten my post cut).

When you've been called a ******, been denied housing or employment because of your skin color, you may not be so quick to side with racists. I am not responsible for anyone else's failures, bad decisions or ignorance.

Anyone who immediately passes judgement based on race, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation is a narrow-minded, insecure person looking for someone else to blame for their inadequecies. When the person belongs to the group that they're bashing, well that makes them self-loathing.
None of that has happened to me. Even if it did I would move on and not dwell on it to the point my entire existence was consumed by it. I control my destiny not some mythical all powerful white man.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Which is exactly why I doubt this individual's veracity. You can't be a black human being, an adult, and live in this country in your entire life, and go through the experiences with racism, micro to macro, that black folks (of ALL ethnicities) go through, and still come off as bad as any garden-variety white racist. This is why I don't believe that this "black white supremacist" is in any way Ghanaian, African or anything even remotely black.
You sound silly. You think we all process experienes the same way? The brutal truth of the matter is if we are talking purely about negative experiences based on my ethnicity or race it has been at the hands of Blacks not so much whites in my case. I went to a white private school up to the 7th grade. Never heard the N-word, never knew there were different color variations of being black, never knew Blacks were not supposed to do well in school.

That all changed when I went to the mostly black public jr and sr high school where the N-word was thrown around with regular frequency, where I soon found out something was wrong with my skin, and that raising my hands and acing exams were "acting white".

You want all Blacks no matter their background to see life as you do because they all are victims of white racism. Would you then find it hard to believe that many Africans and Caribbean Blacks have negative attitudes with Black Americans based solely on their negative run ins with them? Such as being robbed, murdered, taunted etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies