Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,460,911 times

Advertisements

The Confederacy died 150 years ago.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:08 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,232,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
It a flag of rebels, traitors to the United States.

It's flown by people here in my area of PA but they are nothing more than common racists.

strange.

did you know that after the civil war had ended, that the USA did not try and charge any southern state with treason, as they had seceded, and secession is not illegal. the federal government understood this, it just that they do not understand it now.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,485,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
As a Southerner, I have flown it.
What is a "Southerner"? Personally, I no longer see a South, a North, an East, or a West, except for geographics.

I was born in the South but I have traveled all over the US and a few foreign countries. I now reside in Florida. Florida probably has more transplanted Northerners than do many other states. Atlanta is a modern city with business headquarters of national and international companies. Huntsville, Alabama is a technological center with folks living there from all over. Many Southern cities are the same. Many Northern cities are the same. Texas has had a huge influx of people from all over.

My son married a girl from Columbia. One of my daughters married a boy of Mexican descent from Galveston, Texas. My other daughter married a boy from England. I have family now living in Queens, New York, in Los Angeles, and scattered all over. I cannot fathom any longer a hatred toward the South or of the North or of any other section of the country. Most of the Blacks on here, truth be told, are a mixture of one or more of other races.

I am not a "Southerner". There is one race as far as I'm concerned. I am a member of the American race.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,382,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Got anything to say about the Black slave owners, especially the ones in Louisiana who used their Black female slaves in their sex industry?
You seem very obsessed with Black female slaves and sex. You mention it almost every post. It is obviously a fantasy of yours. Unfortunately the vast majority of sex acts that occurred amongst slaves was white slave owners brutally raping their female slaves and impregnating them and making their own children slaves also. What a noble group of Americans they were.

By the way, I looked it up and 142 slaves in Maryland in 1790 were owned by free blacks. 103,000 slaves (which was 1/3 of the population of the state) were owned by whites. This means about 1% of slaves were owned by blacks. That number is negligible and those cases were rare. Basically a slave was 10x more likely to be born color blind than to end up being owned by a free black.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
As a Southerner, I have flown it.
Congratulations. You flew the battle flag of a confederation that seceded and attacked the U.S. primarily for the purpose of preserving the chattel slavery of African-Americans (according to confederate Vice President Alexander Stevens). You are a great American.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM

25,880 posts, read 16,598,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
Congratulations. You flew the battle flag of a confederation that seceded and attacked the U.S. primarily for the purpose of preserving the chattel slavery of African-Americans (according to confederate Vice President Alexander Stevens). You are a great American.
To be fair slavery existed under the stars and stripes for far longer.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 PM

12,622 posts, read 13,973,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
strange.

did you know that after the civil war had ended, that the USA did not try and charge any southern state with treason, as they had seceded, and secession is not illegal. the federal government understood this, it just that they do not understand it now.

Not true just because you think it is. Funny that Andrew Jackson was going to hang Calhoun for even talk of treason. Calhoun backed down. Secession was considered treason. Don't believe me, read what Madison had to say. And I'm sure he knew a lot more about the Constitution than you do since he wrote the damn thing.

This by a conservative magazine no less:

James Madison, Nullification, Interposition and Sovereign Constitutional Powers

Learning of such arguments, Madison felt compelled to enter the fray. Madison insisted that neither he nor Jefferson was responsible for nullification, a doctrine with a “fatal tendency.” Rather than protecting the diverse interests of the Union, Madison believed, nullification put “powder under the Constitution and Union, and a match in the hand” of any faction, leaving it to their whim whether “to blow them up.” Secession was a “twin” to the “heresy” of nullification, warned Madison. Both doctrines sprang “from the same poisonous root.” The growth from this root would bring “disastrous consequences.” By 1832, he noted how inexpressibly “painful” it was that Calhoun’s doctrine might cause the Constitution to be “broken up and scattered to the winds.”[48]

The father of the US Constitution considered secession "heresy" and considered it poisonous. Yeah right, I'm sure he considered it constitutional since he claimed it put "powder under the Constitution and Union" to blow it up.

When will you blowhard right wingers ditch your revisionist history? There were many that wanted to try the Confederate leaders for treason, but Lincoln insisted on "malice toward none" and forgiveness. After Lincoln's murder they didn't want to besmirch his memory by going after Davis and Lee, etc.

Anyway, point to me where in the US Constitution it mentions leaving the Union and how a state is to do it? Where is it? It is certainly not in the 10th Amendment, or Madison would have never wrote what he did about secession and nullification.

The only way out was thru rebellion and revolution. That is as plain as day.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,485,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
You seem very obsessed with Black female slaves and sex. You mention it almost every post. It is obviously a fantasy of yours. Unfortunately the vast majority of sex acts that occurred amongst slaves was white slave owners brutally raping their female slaves and impregnating them and making their own children slaves also. What a noble group of Americans they were.

By the way, I looked it up and 142 slaves in Maryland in 1790 were owned by free blacks. 103,000 slaves (which was 1/3 of the population of the state) were owned by whites. This means about 1% of slaves were owned by blacks. That number is negligible and those cases were rare. Basically a slave was 10x more likely to be born color blind than to end up being owned by a free black.
Hardly. I did watch Diago Unchained or whatever the name of it was. My point has been to show that even Blacks did own slaves as did the whites and my own Cherokee people. My other point was to show that the Black slave owners in Louisiana (especially around New Orleans) did use some female slaves in the sex trade.

All that said, even if you claim it negligible and try your best to dismiss it, you can't. It is still factual. I have not tried to dismiss the fact that the Cherokees owned slaves. You black folks may as well man up to it and accept it.

Now, what have you proved other than the fact that you are a racist?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Touché, that's why I don't fly that flag either. The flag I have hanging in front of my house is my state flag.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,975,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Pssst, the ignorant don't want to hear that, but most people know that it is true. The Stars and Stripes flew 89 years of slavery. The flag they are hollering about was a battle flag that flew for 4 years.

Last edited by Scotty011; 08-26-2014 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies