Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,772 times

Advertisements

I wonder how her little reference to the University is playing at the U of C. She was a "bright and promising student", even if she had to say so herself.
An excerpt for Michelle Obama's speech at Merced:
"By using what you have learned here, you can shorten the path perhaps for kids who may not see a path at all. And I was once one of those kids. Most of you were once one of those kids. I grew up just a few miles from the University of Chicago in my hometown. The university, like most institutions, was a major cultural, economic institution in my neighborhood. My mother even worked as a secretary there for several years.
Yet that university never played a meaningful role in my academic development. The institution made no effort to reach out to me –- a bright and promising student in their midst –- and I had no reason to believe there was a place for me there. Therefore, when it came time for me to apply to college, I never for one second considered the university in my own backyard as a viable option.
And as fate would have it, I ultimately went on and accepted a position in student affairs at the University of Chicago more than a decade later. What I found was that working within the institution gave me the opportunity to express my concerns about how little role the university plays in the life of its neighbors. I wanted desperately to be involved in helping to break down the barriers that existed between the campus and the community."

In the future, we will send the university door-to-door, just like the Fuller Brush man...
More at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/16/us...1&pagewanted=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 04:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
I appreciate that she's absolutely honest

also that she's frank about holding herself in high esteem, and wanting to find a college that was right for her.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:35 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
so because as a young student the local university did not reach out to minorities, and years later she gets a job there and tries to change that so other people can feel included is somehow biting the hand? trying to make higher ed easier for others is not a bad thing

Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Having attended UofC, I can say that it indeed turned its back on the surrounding neighborhood. When I was there nearly 30 years ago, we students barely ever crossed the Midway because, honestly, it was scary. My dorm roomed looked south towards an abandoned 15-story building, with curtains blowing out of the windows at all times of the year. Not exactly the place you'd send college recruiters.

I too appreciate Michelle's honesty. I'm proud that she is First Lady. Her predecessor was hardly more than a hairsprayed housewife so this is a welcome change. And before that, Hillary was too harsh for my taste, though I always feel great when a woman discovers--and uses--her voice.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Having attended UofC, I can say that it indeed turned its back on the surrounding neighborhood. When I was there nearly 30 years ago, we students barely ever crossed the Midway because, honestly, it was scary. My dorm roomed looked south towards an abandoned 15-story building, with curtains blowing out of the windows at all times of the year. Not exactly the place you'd send college recruiters.

I too appreciate Michelle's honesty. I'm proud that she is First Lady. Her predecessor was hardly more than a hairsprayed housewife so this is a welcome change. And before that, Hillary was too harsh for my taste, though I always feel great when a woman discovers--and uses--her voice.
thanks for a first hand account.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:55 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

One of my degrees is from the U of C as well, I was offended. I guess you were not the same kind of student I was, through the university I was encouraged to work as a Head Start volunteer, with Big Brothers, Big Sisters. The University was good to give her a high paying job...short memory.
And by the way, Laura Bush has worked for the cause of literacy her entire adult life, much of it as a volunteer, very unlike Michelle Obama - guess you need to get out more.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:00 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
One of my degrees is from the U of C as well, I was offended. I guess you were not the same kind of student I was, through the university I was encouraged to work as a Head Start volunteer, with Big Brothers, Big Sisters. The University was good to give her a high paying job...short memory.
And by the way, Laura Bush has worked for the cause of literacy her entire adult life, much of it as a volunteer, very unlike Michelle Obama - guess you need to get out more.
I stand corrected on Laura Bush. For me, I guess it is guilt by association: I didn't like her significant other.

I can't say much that's nice about UofC, my time there was uneventful. I found the campus depressing and the faculty uncaring. But I'll gladly defer to those who stayed longer and more recently than I did since they probably know better...

Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
I was a student at the U of C when Ms. Obama was applying to college. It did not really reach out to black students and had few of them as undergrads. Black students were regularly harassed and considered to be interlopers or muggers if encountered on the quadrangle. Further, the university basically had established a vacant 'DMZ' between its campus and the community to the south.

But Ms. Obama should understand that the college did not really reach out to anyone. Its much more of a graduate institution, which she knows.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times
First Lady being honest as usual

Old 05-17-2009, 05:53 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
One of my degrees is from the U of C as well, I was offended.
You were offended, gee what a surprise. You're offended if anyone in the Obama family breathes. If they get dressed in the morning, you're offended. If they eat breakfast, you're offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies