Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:37 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,905,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Oh shush, you with your facts!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:37 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
If they are well enough to spend ill gotten gains, they are well enough to work.

Work where? Do what with the kids? I'm not disagreeing with you but talk is easy, it's the application that's difficult.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:41 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,865,534 times
The answer is education, nothing more, nothing less. Until we start dumping good money into education, then people will continue to leave school with no skills to take care of themselves. Also, birth control needs to be widely available and accessible. Birth control is not cheap, esp if you are poor. But finally, people need to give up the myth of the welfare queen, noone reproduces for the sole purpose of getting a few extra bucks each month, NOBODY. Some folks on this board need to take some basic sociology classes or some urban politics courses to truly understand a part of American culture that they are so detached from. It's easy to throw stones when you are sitting in your suburban home with a legacy of college education. Get a clue people.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I'm very much to the left on social issues and to the slightly to the right on fiscal issues. Could you elaborate on how this is governmental interference? People on welfare fill out so many forms to prove their worthiness anyway. I don't think I'm being heartless here. My best friend worked as a social worker in the Midwest. I've heard the sob-sad stories from her and the excuses people have invented to create a lifetime of welfare for themselves. I think it's wrong except in the situations I describe above.

PS: I'll edit it to be "crutch" instead.
Sorry to go crazy -- as Dirty Harry said, "No reason for it really." Your plan is actually a really good one, and I'll go edit my post now to acknowledge that I think so.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,865,534 times
Right, and another thing: I have the luxury to have a job to be able to afford quality child care. Where on earth will these people leave their kids to work a minimum wage job?? Again, clueless....

Old 05-22-2009, 10:45 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Right, and another thing: I have the luxury to have a job to be able to afford quality child care. Where on earth will these people leave their kids to work a minimum wage job?? Again, clueless....
Part of the fallout nobody wants to address.

The problem with most internet forum ideas is that there is no real follow through.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
My goodness.

Myth: A Huge Chunk of My Tax Dollars Supports Welfare Recipients

Fact: Welfare Costs 1 Percent of the Federal Budget

Myth: Welfare Encourages Out-of- Wedlock Births and Large Families

Fact: The Average Welfare Family Is No Bigger Than the Average Nonwelfare Family

Myth: Welfare Families Use Their Benefits to Fund Extravagance

Fact: Welfare Families Live Far Below the Poverty Line

/quote

But I love the myths...I need the myths...how can I feel smug if I dont have my myths?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,797,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Oh shush, you with your facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
My goodness.

Myth: A Huge Chunk of My Tax Dollars Supports Welfare Recipients

Fact: Welfare Costs 1 Percent of the Federal Budget

Myth: Welfare Encourages Out-of- Wedlock Births and Large Families

Fact: The Average Welfare Family Is No Bigger Than the Average Nonwelfare Family

Myth: Welfare Families Use Their Benefits to Fund Extravagance

Fact: Welfare Families Live Far Below the Poverty Line

/quote

But I love the myths...I need the myths....
Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself.

It still doesn't mean that abuse doesn't happen.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,758,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I propose that when women who are on welfare go to pick up their monthly checks, they should be required to receive the depo shot. They would not receive their check until they received the shot. Thus, this keeps their breeding at bay & reduces the need for welfare so all of you out there who complain about it...problem solved. Thoughts?
Depo is not appropriate for everyone. And that's just the first issue of many that I can see with this "solution".

Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Many pro-lifers are, but many aren't.

I'm pro-life, but also pro-BC, pro-comprehensive sex ed in schools, and pro-free health care for children.
That's good to hear. I think you may be in the minority though. I'm basing this on of course many of the posts on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies