Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:55 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Because it is normal for humans to have a sex drive ...
sleep, eat, shelter, same throughout the life span.

that's what we are here for.

sexual activity is the way procreation happens it is the result of sexual activity. not the reason for.
You also seem to be saying that we should all live like cavemen, just the basics like food, water, shelter, fire ...so religion doesn't really fit in, does it? You should really think about rejecting whatever b.s. your parents beat into you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Why Do Some Straight People Get More Emotional About Gay Issues Than The Gays Do?

Because they are frightened.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Short and Sweet.....

Old 05-23-2009, 09:14 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

I have family members that are gay and I see how happy they are with their partners so I want them to have the same rights as i do. They are my blood and I care about their happiness.
Bravo; I wish my family were more like you......

Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm just asking; I haven't seen such blind hatred since the Cold War.
BC we're skeered of you...... LOL!

Lots of hatred among the ignorant.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
heterosexuals have intercourse, homosexuals have sex play.
um, no.

you're wrong.

sexual intercourse
noun
sexual contact between individuals involving penetration

Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
I'll explain opportunity cost to you. Its when you give up your time for something else.

You never asked for clarification, so please stop playing the victim.
1) You are seriously flattering yourself if you think you made me feel "victimized". that's laughable. just because I called you out on acting like a pompous a-hole doesn't mean you made me a victim.

2) I've already responded to this the first time you posted it. Telling kids, hey, sometimes people of the same sex have sex together, and don't beat them up for it, is NOT taking any serious amount of time out of the school curriculum.

You response was to reword your same sentiment using the jargon of "opportunity cost" but not explaining how teaching tolerance takes "ZOMG, so much time out of the school curriculum!" lol.

So explain to me exactly how a sentence, or even a 45 minute session on tolerance is keeping kids from learning all the other stuff.

Quote:
I am mad since you are politicizing sexuality rather than teaching education.
How does one teach education? Are they all learning how to be teachers?

Quote:
I disagree with your premise that it is a state job to make people more "civilized"

I don't want to mandate morality, since that it an individual responsibility, not a state responsibility.
You must not have any kids. So typical of someone with no children thinking they can tell everyone else what to do their kids.

Guess what? Schools HAVE to teach civility or they wouldn't be able to teach, period. What do you think, that the kids should be allowed to run around in the classroom, have sex in the closet, and physically fight one another? No. You cannot teach when there is chaos. It's also hard to learn and stay focused on your schoolwork if you're worried about being bullied.

In order to teach, the school/state/whatever you want to call it, has to institute some order and in doing so they inadvertently teach civility.

Teaching children to be tolerant of gays is just an extension of what the schools already have to teach kids. There is no big deal here.

What you're suggesting, that the state stay out of it morality, is impossible. Please tell me how an institution who has a child five days a week for eight hours a day is going to make children behave but without telling them why they should behave. Kids need explanations as to why they shouldn't fight someone, for example. You can't just order them around like they were dogs without explanation, at least not if you want it to sink in and stick. You think the parents should teach their children, I agree with that, but the school is responsible for children while they are there and in some senses they do parent the child. That's just the way it is.

Quote:
If you want to mandate morality, then we should start teaching the Bible in public school, but somehow I believe that you would be against this concept.

So, stop being a hypocrite.

So, please stop calling yourself a liberal and join the religious right.

lol, nice strawman. You tell me my feelings and then call me a name because of what YOU'RE SAYING I feel, when I've said no such thing.

unbelievable.

anyway, your twisted "logic" (which is no surprise to me at this point) is wrong.

I have no problem with the Bible, or any religion, or atheism being taught at a school as theory so long as they're all taught together, so kids can compare and contrast for themselves. I would have a problem with just one of them being taught, if that one were being taught as fact, because religious beliefs are NOT facts and we shouldn't be lying to children, but that's because lying is wrong, not because I hate the Bible or whatever.

If you want to say I'm not a liberal just because I don't think we should teach lies, well, then you're crazy. Sorry.

Quote:
Then you should have no problem with voluntary association, but you do. You want to mandate morality.
No, I just want every child to have a safe learning environment so that they can actually learn because they're not looking over their shoulder every minute.

What's your great solution if we don't teach tolerance in the school? Take every child who has a beef with someone and stick them both in the Thunderdome? I mean, seriously.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Probably because Jesus.....

Old 05-24-2009, 01:31 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

I have family members that are gay and I see how happy they are with their partners so I want them to have the same rights as i do. They are my blood and I care about their happiness.
Good for you.. It takes love, support and acceptance of gay family members. I think more and more people like you represent what most members of the str8 community will be in the years ahead.

Last edited by mississauga75; 05-24-2009 at 02:44 AM..

Old 05-24-2009, 01:41 AM

10 posts, read 36,309 times
Smile Educate our kids so they can form an opinion!

Quote:
Those reasons are inaccurate. I support gays, gay rights, gay marriage, and even gay adoption, but I do not support teaching our youth about gayness.

Even though I am strong advocate of gay right, I have been called angry by gay advocates whenever I support an impartial teaching plan.

Gays and their advocates do not respect liberty, nor tolerance. Instead of of education they promote their brand of sexuality, which is not different than the Religious Right.
Inaccurate? Are you kidding? It is based on fact/statistics. Perhaps do some research and reading, and you will find that your response is based on your own opinion, not fact. I was simply turning over information that I can and did back up. Individual feelings from all of us are just that, feelings. This person was asking for some kind of direction/guidance/explanation, to help them understand the possible reasons that lie beneath the surface of such cruel, opinionated behavior and cruel acts.

I personally believe that there is a disrespect on both sides of this whole issue, and that we should all just be ourselves and mind our own business, unless someone gets hurt. No one is ever going to agree about everything, but we all need to just let go and learn to live our own lives instead of trying to tell others how to live theirs.

If I had a choice of a nice gay family living next door to me, or a person who beat his (or her kids), or sold illegal drugs for a living, I'd pick the gay family any old day. It's not WHO we are, it's WHAT we chose to do with ourselves aand to each other that really matters.

As far as your comment "I do not support teaching our youth about gayness" I disagree. You need to prvide them with the knowledge and various beliefs/facts/statistics/resourses, and allow them to form their own opinions. To educate them can prevent hate out of sheer stupidity. Not doing so isn't fair, and who knows how many of them might even be gay and looking for answers themselves. Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies