Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Earth to zippy...
I'll bet you got a tingle running down your leg as you typed that.
lmbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
it took tutu ten plus years with the comapny to become vp. living in hawaii like you did jenny you would know that even a big salary does not go far on these islands. obama school was paid with the help of scholarships. If you want me to discount that I can, I can say too, yes, a punahou grad is quite special, however his parents, his life, has given him a compassion and heart that is much needed for our country. did you miss the culture when you lived here?

Old 05-25-2009, 12:00 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Maui~ Back then, that area wasn't considered bad. It still isn't. Any apt in the Manoa/Punahou area is $$$$$$$$ AND how many apts in Hawaii are big? You are guessing on the square footage.

He didn't get scholarships for Punahou, he said that in his book. His Grandmother paid his tuition.

I had friends that went to Punahou and there was not a "poor kid" going there. Maybe Kamehamaha , but not Punahou.

~Me ka aloha pumehana~
"back then" there wasn't anywhere else to live but in and around the city so kinda hard to say that just because it is near punahou it was a great area. even then there were homes that were huge so if they truly were wealthy I doubt they would have lived where they did. I did not read his book and if he said tutu paid then I will go with that, I had read the opoosite. we don't know what kind of hardships were put on the family so that their grandson could go to the best schools around. isn't that what america is about. giving our children the best education, and a life better than we had?

"if" you can believe what has been reported his "wealthy" tut rented in her building for 44 years and the sq. footage was 647 so I gave her more room than she had

Old 05-25-2009, 12:02 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Just like all politicians.
Bush and his 'gosh dernit, I'm juss a Texan' crap when in reality that boy was raised in the lap of luxury and never had to worry about money.
Obamas mom was a flake, its true - but his upbringing with his grandparents was probably like a lot of American upper middle class. But no, he was not raised in the ghetto with nothing but hope and government cheese.
Clinton was legitimately able to talk about his working class roots, as was Reagan. Carter came from a richer then hell family as did the Kennedys. But to be fair, I don't believe either Carter or Kennedy tried to pretend otherwise.

I don't know when it became fashionable for politicians to pretend to understand the working class when by and far they tend to come from wealth.
*Bush never pretended to be other than who he is. His way of talking is who he is. That has nothing to do with the way he was brought up. And he wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty and worked on his ranch regularly, so he does know what hard work is, even though it did not support him.

*Reagan's working class roots like the 30 years he was a movie star and 25 years in politics? Ok, his first 25 years he was just like us, working for a living and residing in apartments. And he DID come up from there on his own, not on anybody else's coattails.

*The politicians think that they appear more likable and understanding of the working man's issues if they say they are from the same. It is so staged these days that nothing about them is real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
he seems down to earth...for a guy who's lived extraordinary life...
Quote:
Seems is the keyword there.

This is a man who attented nothing but elite schools, never lifted a finger to work in his life and his wife is wearing $550 tennis shoes to go to food banks. Doesn't sound too down to earth to me.
Obama was manufactured by the democratic party to look good and seem approachable so they would win in the election.

All during the campaigning and elections the party had him emulating John Kennedy. There are many photos of him and his family striking poses IDENTICAL to famous photos of JFK and his family, none of which irks me more than the one of his daughter climbing through the desk exactly as John Jr did as a baby.

The dems attempted to create the illusion of the Camelot days revisited to pull at people's heartstrings.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
mr obama is a skilled politician. he does not make many mistakes.
i supported him and helped him get elected. i switched parties.
i though a change of management would bring us financial stability.
i was wrong it did not, the DC spending machine does not care who sits in the chair.
when the titanic goes down the people in 1st class will drown just the same.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm pretty sure I'm not "just like" anyone of you guys either. My background is unique to me, as is everyones. Plenty of people had it better and worse than I. Plenty of people had it better or worse than Obama. How far down into the "just like us" well does someone have to be to avoid this kind of stuff anyway? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Yeah, we sur is tired of these elistits whom have an edukashun and gots all thgeir stuff from book learning. What ever happened to goodole counrtry boys gittin lected? They is like us. Whom need that smart stuff anyway. We all know that everybuddy is a commie and no good, except us. Dat guiy's a terrorist lover and a mueslim. What more evidents do we need?

Old 05-25-2009, 12:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
I just watched that video and listened to the man on the bench say he supports Obama because he was brought up just like us. He said he was a laborer.

Oh really?

Well, first of all remember he was only in Hawaii for 2 yrs. until his Mom ditched his drunk Dad and ran off to Indonesia to be with another man.

Then his Mom sends him back to Hawaii when he is about 8 to be raised by his Grandmother who was a VICE PRESIDENT of Bank Of Hawaii. His "Typical White person" Grandmother sent him to Punahou. The most elite school in Hawaii.

He went there from 8-18 yrs old. Now I have no idea when the "food stamps" that he claimed he was on came into being since there was no such thing when the Mom was there with the first husband. Then it was started up as an experimental program later but Obama was already there with his Vice President Grandmother and attending Punahou.

Here, take a look at the tuition of Punahou and see if you think Obama is just like you and me. This is his grade school and his high school.
Punahou: Tuition and Payment (look on the 6th line)
You seem obsessed about Obama's class level and economic level. Doesnt look healthy really.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:24 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night;8974404
Obama was manufactured by the democratic party to look good and seem approachable so they would win in the election.

All during the campaigning and elections the party had him emulating John Kennedy. There are many photos of him and his family striking poses [I
IDENTICAL[/i] to famous photos of JFK and his family, none of which irks me more than the one of his daughter climbing through the desk exactly as John Jr did as a baby.

The dems attempted to create the illusion of the Camelot days revisited to pull at people's heartstrings.

You are right. Michelle even hired the same stylist company that Jackie had. They tried to sell them as the new Kennedy's. But I don't know if they can be like them...are the Obama's drunks? (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 05-25-2009 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 12:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
You are right. Michelle even hired the same stylist company that Jackie had.
What company is that?

Last edited by delusianne; 05-25-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies