Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Geez, here we go again.

I've got homework for you. Point me to a piece of CA law that explicitly...read that again...explicitly says that "marriage is your right" or words to that effect. Not inferences. EXACT language.

It doesn't have to, the SC's interpretation says so:
Quote:
On May 15, 2008, the court ruled in a 4–3 decision that laws directed at gays and lesbians are subject to strict judicial scrutiny and that marriage is a fundamental right under Article 1, Section 7 of the California Constitution, thereby holding unconstitutional the previously existing statutory ban on same-sex marriage embodied in two statutes, one enacted by the Legislature in 1977, and the other through the initiative process in 2000 (Proposition 22)
The SC's job is to interpret. If you don't like that, change the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:33 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Which is why the anti-same-sex marriage group got the amendment on the ballot. Because a specific constitutional amendment takes precedence over a more broad one.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Which is why the anti-same-sex marriage group got the amendment on the ballot. Because a specific constitutional amendment takes precedence over a more broad one.
Yeah. That isn't my problem. If you amend the constitution, then that's fair. What I have a problem with is how easy it is to make such a great change to it. And Prop 8 was a great change. but even then, I'm still not complaining. I'm confident that a re vote would overturn Prop 8. And after that, require a 2/3 majority for any more amendments.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Yeah. That isn't my problem. If you amend the constitution, then that's fair. What I have a problem with is how easy it is to make such a great change to it. And Prop 8 was a great change. but even then, I'm still not complaining. I'm confident that a re vote would overturn Prop 8. And after that, require a 2/3 majority for any more amendments.
I agree. The 2/3 vote requirement would be more fair.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:07 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,597 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to, the SC's interpretation says so:

First of all, you said "CALIFORNIA LAW" says that marriage is a right. I asked you to point me to where it says that. You in turn not only did not provide the direct reference, you linked to Wikipedia, the least credible source there is since any Joe can edit text at their leisure.

You quoted without providing the source of your quote.

You say "the court". What court? Supreme Court? Doesn't matter.

You quote an article from a year ago which has already been superseded by Prop 8.

Assuming your quote is even credible, it references Article 1 Section 7 of the California Constitution. Let's use a REAL law reference.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official California Legislative Information Database
CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

SEC. 7. (a) A person may not be deprived of life, liberty, or
property without due process of law or denied equal protection of the
laws; provided, that nothing contained herein or elsewhere in this
Constitution imposes upon the State of California or any public
entity, board, or official any obligations or responsibilities which
exceed those imposed by the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th
Amendment to the United States Constitution with respect to the use
of pupil school assignment or pupil transportation.
Moderator cut: copyright violation, link and first sentences only please
Nothing in there speaks to marriage as a right. In fact the word "marriage" is not mentioned at all. Do you know why? Because as I said, California law does not explicitly allow it. It can be inferred, as the court did, but it's not exactly specified, which is why Prop 8 was even allowed to be introduced in the first place.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/us...oM9AWvJWHHmtCw
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
Still, Chief Justice George took pains to emphasize the limits of the ruling.
It does not require ministers, priests or rabbis to perform same-sex marriages, he said.
Which goes back to what I said a few posts ago. The law should have deferred to whatever the religious leaders decide to do in the matter. That's essentially what they did.

Or did you forget that it was this same Supreme Court that sided with the voters in keeping Prop 8 active?

Justices seem to be leaning in favor of Prop. 8 (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/05/BALP169S2G.DTL - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Francisco Chronicle
The California Supreme Court, which last year declared the right of gays and lesbians to marry, appeared ready Thursday to uphold the voters' decision to overrule the court and restore the state's ban on same-sex marriage.
Another member of last year's majority, Justice Joyce Kennard, said the challenge to Prop. 8 brought by advocates of same-sex marriage involved "a completely different issue" from the court's ruling that the marriage laws violated gays' and lesbians' rights to be treated equally and wed the partner of their choice.

Moderator cut: copyright again
I say again...civil unions were created for those that want to bond and receive the same rights and protections as those who are married. If you feel that the rights and privileges are not being afforded to you under a civil union, fight for that, because it's your right. Your argument sir, is null and void...because you referenced events that took place prior to that same Supreme Court doing a 180 on you. Like I said many posts ago, the government does not care about you the individual. The government will not take sides. It will only flow where the votes go. If the majority keep voting it out, it won't happen. The best thing you can do is get civil unions where they need to be and be happy with that.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 06-08-2009 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies