Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,939,753 times

Advertisements

I just talked to a friend, who works in the GLBT center from one of the backward states(so I thought). He said that a major bank is moving to their state. In order to seal the deal, this state had to change their discrimination laws for them to move. This bank is from a progressive state. The workers spoke up about their laws. The powers-to-be talk to the powers-to-be and they are in the process of passing the anti-gay discrimination bill for the whole state. Members who have read my posts know I'm for this. My question is... Does it take a corporation to make a change, in the process anger the Christians at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
You made it quite clear in other posts that you are gay. You thought you were being subtle, I guess, but it didn't work. We get it!! What you don't get is that you are not angering Christians...even if you were it wouldn't matter. What matters is that you are angering God.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:26 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You made it quite clear in other posts that you are gay. You thought you were being subtle, I guess, but it didn't work. We get it!! What you don't get is that you are not angering Christians...even if you were it wouldn't matter. What matters is that you are angering God.
And bada-bing... there's the judgment we're talking about! If you really felt it was up to God, why say anything at all? I don't think "He" needs anyone to speak for him.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-11-2007 at 11:35 PM..

Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Well...I don't know if it's a Christian thing, exactly (I'm not Christian, BTW).

As far as whether it takes corporations to make such changes, sometimes, yes...definitely! Sad but true. Money really does talk. I don't think that's *always* the motivation, but I think a lot of the time it can be.

What's the state you're referring to?

Old 04-12-2007, 02:38 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times
I think its wonderful that some corperations are using there financial power to pursuade these backwards states into making sure that all people are protected against discrimination. I guess this proves that financial interests override the extreme fundamentalist "christian" conservatives agenda of discrimination against selective groups!

Its interesting and I think its great that common sense and financial interests take priority over these backwards states that use religion to discriminate against people and issues they can not agree with.

Its like the State of Nebraska right now where they have an extremely, out of main-stream extremely socially conservative right-wing majority in legislature that is not pro-choice and does not agree with stem cell research. The issue is though the University of Nebraska Medical Center and The University of Nebraska Lincoln both want to become state of the art facilities and they more then likely cant compete if the state does not fund stem-cell research.

I think these two issues show that the fundamentalist conservative agenda is about to move into the backseat.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:33 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I guess this proves that financial interests override the extreme...
I would like to think that economics would override such discriminatory policies. And maybe in some cases it does.

But, then I also think of what happened in the south for generations where segregation and discrimination occurred for decades, even when it was obvious that it was a waste economically (I mean building two of everything?) This continued though until the more enlightened elements of our country showed these people how backward they were and forced them to change. The south is now only starting to recover from years of economic malaise.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:12 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I just talked to a friend, who works in the GLBT center from one of the backward states(so I thought).
What's the list of "backward" states? Are they just states that don't follow what you believe? Ones that are traditional and value morals? I'd love to know the list and criteria for making it.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:44 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I just talked to a friend, who works in the GLBT center from one of the backward states(so I thought). He said that a major bank is moving to their state. In order to seal the deal, this state had to change their discrimination laws for them to move. This bank is from a progressive state. The workers spoke up about their laws. The powers-to-be talk to the powers-to-be and they are in the process of passing the anti-gay discrimination bill for the whole state. Members who have read my posts know I'm for this. My question is... Does it take a corporation to make a change, in the process anger the Christians at the same time?
Who cares? We all know that America is sinking in the mire of filth and perversion, so one more stupid company bowing down to the gays is what is to be expected.

Why bring up Christians? This to me is another attempt to incite us knowing we are opposed to homosexuality. This is the gay agenda showing its ugly head again.

You insult folks that live in these "backwards" states by saying that. Just as gays insult us by their perversion.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:52 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Why bring up Christians? This to me is another attempt to incite us knowing we are opposed to homosexuality. This is the gay agenda showing its ugly head again.
Or maybe it's a taste of your own medicine.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:13 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
I doubt that this is a true story brikag! If it were it wouldnt be a news flash, corporations are responsible for the bottom dollar to their stockholders, very few major corporations have a social consious especially a bank., but it works both ways, I just had to pick up material at one of my suppliers and before i got off the phone i told him to tell his fancy boy out in the wharehouse to turn off his rap music or i will start going to their competitors! When i got there no rap and no fancyboy! They had a diferent cleancut guy out there! Bottom line is the dollar, corporations know homosexuals have money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies