Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,321,890 times

Advertisements

Yes, I want "Socialized health insurance"

Why do republicans talk all day long about "Socialized health care"
The health care system is completely fine as it is (FYI, has been socialized=subsidized for decades).

The problem are the health insurance companies.
We pay them money for insurance,
when is time for them to pay, they find a million excuses to not pay.

So yes, I want "Socialized health insurance"
if the health insurance company go broke, I will be the 1st one to celebrate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,854,562 times
It's about time America caught up with the rest of the Industrialised world and stopped treating Illnes as a comodity. Health is NOT a luxury item but in America it is only for people who can afford it.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,293,671 times
cant believe a hospital has a marketing rep.....

Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,424,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

The health care system is completely fine as it is (FYI, has been socialized=subsidized for decades).

if the health insurance company go broke, I will be the 1st one to celebrate it.
and you do not think the government would not make thousands of excuses not to pay? Well it takes a min. of 2 years to get approved for disability, and you have to jump through hoops and pray you do not die before you get the coverage. YEA um... no, the government would also come up with thousands of reasons not to pay the bills, or you will get say government approved treatments IE low cost treatments, instead of other treatments that may be more expensive.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
and you do not think the government would not make thousands of excuses not to pay? Well it takes a min. of 2 years to get approved for disability, and you have to jump through hoops and pray you do not die before you get the coverage. YEA um... no, the government would also come up with thousands of reasons not to pay the bills, or you will get say government approved treatments IE low cost treatments, instead of other treatments that may be more expensive.
What exact experience have you got of a Govt. run health care System?
The Govt does NOT come up with reasons to say no to a Doctors request for treatment, a Private Health Insurance Company, on the other hand, has to because of it's very nature. Govt run Treatments are top quality treatments,,,,, I know because i have recieved them and being Diabetic i get all my Insulin etc free. Try that with a private Health Company who have to make sure that their CEO's and Directors get their huge bonuses.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,424,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
What exact experience have you got of a Govt. run health care System?
The Govt does NOT come up with reasons to say no to a Doctors request for treatment, a Private Health Insurance Company, on the other hand, has to because of it's very nature. Govt run Treatments are top quality treatments,,,,, I know because i have recieved them and being Diabetic i get all my Insulin etc free. Try that with a private Health Company who have to make sure that their CEO's and Directors get their huge bonuses.
Lets see. Some very close friends of mine, who are also afflicted with multiple sclerosis like myself must rely on Medicare for their treatment. One relys on England's UHC system for treatment. My friend with Medicare was told that Tysabri was not an option for her unless All other medications were tried, so for the past 5 years, she has had to endure the rejection of all treatments except for Tysabri which is working wonderful for her. Unfortunately the nature of MS is of a progressive nature, the other drugs did not work for her, meaning her progression was not slowed, and thus her requirement for a Wheelchair now. Tysabri works wonders for many with MS, if she were allowed to start Tysabri when she had requested it, the likely hood of her not having to rely on a Wheel chair would be VERY high. As for my friend in England. She i only allowed to take Copaxone for her treatment, they WILL NOT authorize any of the other treatments for one excuse or another. She does not tolerate the Copaxone very well, and has the hives from shots to show for it. I on the other hand have private health care. I can get in to see my Neurologist within 12 hours if I have an attack, I can pick and choose from any of the 5 approved treatments, as well as some experimental treatments that are going for FDA approval if I so wish with some of it being covered.

now for cost. Medicare has a copay on the treatments for MS of 30%. My insurance has a flat copay of 75.00 / month for the treatment. That 30% costs my friend 630.00 PER MONTH. Mine is well... 75.00 per month. The cost of treatment without insurance is 2100.00 per month.

There, you opened the can of worms, and now have a hand full. I have plenty of experience dealing with Medical issues, and helping friends deal with Medical issues.

your right, the government does not come up with reasons to deny you, they just do.

Now, before you start talking down to someone before you know them, think before posting

Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Social Security is broke. Medicare is broke. Medicaid is broke. The Federal government is broke. Why would a Loonversal Health Care System not be broke like the rest of our entitlement programs? Do you really trust them to not raid any trust fund set up to take care of our medical needs? If they can't be trusted with a little, why should we give them more? 1 in 6 Americans do not have health insurance. A lot of these people are young and healthy opting out of employer health care programs. The poor receive Medicaid already, so what's the reason for scrapping the best system in the world? Power, that's why. The democrats want to control every aspect of our existence. They want a system that makes decent hard-working Americans beholding to politicians. They want to rob us and our children then act like they are doing us a favor by returning part of it. Outside of the military, can you name one government entity that functions competently and efficiently? You want to trust this same government with your life?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,479,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The democrats want to control every aspect of our existence.
Sounds like some sort of tinfoil hat conspiracy to me.

In reality the system we have in place does not work and hard working Americans are unable to provide the most basic human necessity for themselves and their family. National health insurance isn't going to be the end of the world and many people are sitting down at the table to make it a reality.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:38 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Sounds like some sort of tinfoil hat conspiracy to me.

In reality the system we have in place does not work and hard working Americans are unable to provide the most basic human necessity for themselves and their family. National health insurance isn't going to be the end of the world and many people are sitting down at the table to make it a reality.

What about the current system doesn't work?

Does Social Security work?

Does Medicare work?

Does Medicaid work?

Can you name on entitlement program that hasn't been raided by the federal government?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:39 PM

MS Society - MS Society
Noahma..
Here is the link to one of many societies in the UK that helps with MS.
NO effective treatment for MS is denied to patients in the UK.
Medicare, as i have said before, cannot work properly as is is undrfunded and a half hearted effort to give health care. With a UHC there will be NO medicare/aid as the UHC will cover everyone and all equally.
Can of Worms? What exact experience do YOU have of a UHC...Not hearsay but you personally?
If you think i am talking down to you i am sorry but i Actually have first hand experience of a UHC and not a "Friend told me"
It has also been shown that Tysabri works well on some people and not on others. The NHS in the UK will prescribe a drug and if it isn't working you will be prescribed other drugs until you find the one that is best for you....Fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies