Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:10 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I did not see indigent in the article did I miss that?
Not in the op, you didn't.
I've since posted many other links, which discuss the fact that Marcia powell was mentally retarded, suffered from mental illness including schizophrenia, was homeless and indigent, and had no known family.

We've already discussed why the OP headline read the way it did; the job of a journalist is to draw in readers, and nothing draws them in like the word "prostitute".

But "prostitute" was merely one aspect- a very pathetic aspect- of who and what Marcia Powell was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I've since posted many other links, which discuss the fact that Marcia powell was mentally retarded, suffered from mental illness including schizophrenia, was homeless and indigent, and had no known family.

We've already discussed why the OP headline read the way it did; the job of a journalist is to draw in readers, and nothing draws them in like the word "prostitute".

But "prostitute" was merely one aspect- a very pathetic aspect- of who and what Marcia Powell was.
Sorry I was thinking of something else. Thanks though.
It is pathetic for sure. People should not have to live like that.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
Quote:

Please, give us a synopsis of her life, other than what we already know. Was she abused as a child? Did she go to school? Was she an educated woman to the point her mental capacity could handle it? I believe I read in the deep dark depths of all these accounts she was being seen by a prison shrink. I did not see anything about her being indigent, FWIW. She was incarcerated in 8/08, so she had three hots and a cot. Was she supposed to be given preferential treatment because she was indigent, homeless, mentally ill? Incarceration is not supposed to be a cake walk into to town, as I understand it.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:19 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Please, give us a synopsis of her life, other than what we already know. Was she abused as a child? Did she go to school? Was she an educated woman to the point her mental capacity could handle it? I believe I read in the deep dark depths of all these accounts she was being seen by a prison shrink. I did not see anything about her being indigent, FWIW. She was incarcerated in 8/08, so she had three hots and a cot. Was she supposed to be given preferential treatment because she was indigent, homeless, mentally ill? Incarceration is not supposed to be a cake walk into to town, as I understand it.

I won't gratify this rant with a response.
The mentally retarded should not be incarcerated in penal institution gen-pops at all, and certainly not for the "crime" of merely trying to survive.
She hurt no one.
If it offended society to see her on the street trying to survive by plying the only trade available to her, then perhaps somebody should've helped her.

Easier just to lock her in a cage in the heat to die, I guess.
I'd add "like an animal", except we don't do that to animals.
We euthanize them humanely. The law demands it.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
DP, I would think from reading your post that you would have preferred the Frank Valdez treatment for her.......

So it 'preferential treatment" IYO not torturing someone to death in the sun?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
The guards didn't build those unshaded cages, either.
Your suggestion is akin to sending Lindee England to prison for the systematic abuses that occurred at Abu Ghraib.
It makes everybody feel a whole lot better, I guess... but in the end, it solves nothing.
It allows the problem to continue, while we all turn our attention to other things, confident the issue is now resolved.
The cages need to be banned. Her family - assuming she has one and they actually give a crap about her (and, sadly, the families of many mentally ill prostitutes do not) - needs to sue the AZ Department of Corrections for as much as they possibly can.

With that said, I stand by my comment saying that the guards should be charged. They had to have seen her withering away. They did nothing - they denied her water and medical care and wouldn't even bring her inside.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-13-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Jeez, that is a horrible way to die.
First of all she should not have been in jail because what she was accused of doing was not harming anybody or violating anybody else's right to life, liberty and property.
That said, when you do crimes, you are not entitled to air conditioning. There are many good people in this country who cannot afford air conditioning and many of them die from it. Over 900 people died in Chicago in one summer- many of them old people who never stole a thing. I am not interested in paying for air conditioning for prisoners. A fan- yes. Cold water to drink- yes but AC - NO!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Arizona. Home of Sheriff Arpaio. And some think he's a hero.
I don't know about him being a "hero" but I agree with what he says when he points out that our troops live in tents in 130 degree heat in Iraq and we certainly do not owe criminals anything more.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I won't gratify this rant with a response.
The mentally retarded should not be incarcerated in penal institution gen-pops at all, and certainly not for the "crime" of merely trying to survive.
She hurt no one.
If it offended society to see her on the street trying to survive by plying the only trade available to her, then perhaps somebody should've helped her.

Easier just to lock her in a cage in the heat to die, I guess.
I'd add "like an animal", except we don't do that to animals.
We euthanize them humanely. The law demands it.
Too bad you see my statement as a "rant." It is not. I asked you for clarification and a bio on this woman. And you did respond, didn't you?

You are taking a lot for granted in your propositions you have listed. Did you know this woman previously? Are you an advocate for the homeless, the indigent, the prostitutes? You've gotten my curiosity up, now, and I think the longer you keep beating on that dead horse, the longer you will beat on it, and that's all.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
DP, I would think from reading your post that you would have preferred the Frank Valdez treatment for her.......

So it 'preferential treatment" IYO not torturing someone to death in the sun?
Who, or what is the Frank Valdez treatment?

Preferential treatment is just what it is. Simple for most folks to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies