Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
But my guess is we are doing nothing and my guess is Obama doesn't have the stomach for increasing the live intellegence gathering and operating process.

I'd say that guess would be completely out of character with the President's actions and rhetoric as a Senator.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The President warned about this very thing yesterday:

"Either way, we were going to be dealing with an Iranian regime that has historically been hostile to the United States, that has caused some problems in the neighborhood and is pursuing nuclear weapons.
The second thing that I think's important to recognize is that the easiest way for reactionary forces inside Iran to crush reformers is to say it's the US that is encouraging those reformers."

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

It is very clear to me that the President knows exactly what he is doing, and, he is doing the right thing in this situation.

As for Senator McCain, we're supposed to listen to ideas about diplomacy from the man who sang 'Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran?'

McCain*Unhinged - Swampland – TIME.com
The American people chose the person who would think through volatile times as well as react, a wise man will possess both traits.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I'd say that guess would be completely out of character with the President's actions and rhetoric as a Senator.

How so? I am not sure if you are being complimentary or insulting to his character - as him taking some covert behind the scenes action would contradict his public persona and policy on "non-interference" and "complete transparancy" and possible get him in trouble with his core constituents.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Amazing. Thousands of unarmed protestors defying armed soldiers in order to obtain the freedoms we take for granted.

And what does our moral President do? Nothing. The only thing worse than this sham artist are the legions of rubes who bought into that "Change You Can Believe In" nonsense.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's an interesting question. I would hope we do - working with opposition groups and gathering intelligence, offering aid (non-military). However I seem to remember reading that we had been lacking in live intellegence assets and operators in the middle east since about the early 90's - the old fashioned spy network. That is indeed one of the reasons why 9/11 happened and why we were so mistaken with WMD's in Iraq. This in favor of technological snooping devices like sattelites, etc. Did the Bush administration lay some networks inside Iran? Who knows.
That is a question I cannot answer as I do not know the answer to it (and if I knew, I wouldn't post the answer on the Internet) but it is possible.

Whether or not the US has spy networks inside Iran, it appears that Britain does and the Iranians are aware of said networks existing based on Khamenei's angry anti-Western tirade that didn't mention the US at all but did bash the UK heavily. I know the French have old fashioned spy networks on the ground throughout the Middle East - and French intelligence is highly respected ; French intelligence warned MI6 and the CIA about the jihadi threat years before 9/11. One of the problems that existed pre-9/11 was the lack of intelligence sharing and coordination between not only different US agencies but between the US and its allies. Even if the US has no one on the ground that doesn't mean the US isn't doing anything through its allies. It would be out of character for the US to do nothing.

I sense something is being done quietly.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
No he was bashing the UK because the UK undermined a democratic system in Iran 50 years ago.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Obama's Iran Response Should be Bolder

Quote:
President Obama's tepid response to the evidence the Iranian election was stolen from the people of that country by current president President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his thuggish allies is disappointing.

The president says he entertains "deep concerns about the election" in Iran. Well, who doesn't? Expressing concern is "nice," it's "diplomatic"--in the worst sense--but it is not sufficient to the circumstance, as Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton are reportedly arguing within the White House.

"The ruling power claims to have won the elections," says Sarkozy. "If that were true, we must ask why they find it necessary to imprison their opponents and repress them with such violence." We must also ask why President Obama is not pressing Iran as aggressively as his French counterpart.
The Nation - NOT a bastion of conservatism.

Hot Air » Blog Archive » The Nation: Obama’s “tepid” response on Iran “disappointing”

Quote:
Obama’s apologists say that any expression of support for the US would undermine the protestors’ credibility.
Sound familiar?

Quote:
With whom? The mullahs? They already believe the protestors to be illegitimate, and they’re already blaming the US for the crisis. The mullahs have lost credibility with the people of Iran, which is the real credibility crisis — and Obama will lose credibility with the Iranian people if he continues to worry more about Ali Khamenei and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad than about the people demanding freedom.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
No he was bashing the UK because the UK undermined a democratic system in Iran 50 years ago.
MI6 does have an extensive network in the Middle East:

MI6 chief visits Mossad for talks on Iran's nuclear threat - Times Online

Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I say that the rethoric verus the real facts about so called liberal concerns on human rights for others is obvious. Even JFK must be turnig over in his grave at his parties keeping quiet so as not to disturb oppressors. He would be pounding the point day after day that freedom is a basic right not keeping quiet. Its ust a interntional extention of the liberal ME generation of thought.ME:ME <ME is all they think about in domestic and foreing policy.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
I've pointed out how the US overthrowing Iran's gov't is far more inline with US interests than those of Iranians, so I'm not sure how butting out of another country's affairs constitutes selfishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies