Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:23 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Someone's ego exceeds her ability.

He should reply that he will only reply to "general". Takes a lot more effort to achieve that than "senator".

Dang right it takes a lot more effort and talent to be a General than a dirt-bag politician.

It takes an entire life to achieve that status, and all it takes are a bunch of mindless voters to be a Senator.

I'll give a General more respect any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Wow, didn't know a Senator can be such an assh*le. Hey ma'am, I'm sure it takes much more work and sacrifice to become a General in the US Army.
Amen to that Bostonian.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:27 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,943,303 times
Typical anti-American, military hating nut job Liberal. Might I remind this piece of trash that it is because of the General she disrespected who has given his LIFE to the military for her freedoms? She should have apologized and thanked him for his service instead of degrading him. What a piece of liberal filth...

Old 06-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, but Boxer is not a general she's a Senator and should be addressed as such.....and a military person should be sharp enough to use the correct word...afterall, THEY are so fussy about how they're addressed!
In the military, they are called "Sir." A person in the military never calls a superior by their rank, it is always "Sir" or "Ma'am."

Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, but Boxer is not a general she's a Senator and should be addressed as such.....and a military person should be sharp enough to use the correct word...afterall, THEY are so fussy about how they're addressed!
And you know this first hand how? Did you ever serve? In the Military we seldom address one another by rank. We normally call a male officer Sir and a female officer Mam.
The General meant no insult and was being perfectly polite. The Senator in question? Well rude is rude and thats what she was.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
What gets me is that this hag forgets she is a public servant, elected to serve the people, not the other way around. She is arrogant and crass. It's been well known she hates the military, except when the BRAC rolls around, then she becomes a patriot so her state won't lose jobs and revenue.
As a Congresswoman representing a Bay Area district prior to being US Senator, she wasn't able to prevent the George H.W. Bush administration from closing the Bay Area's bases.

Quote:
It's a Senator, Congressman or even a judges call to either demand being referred to by a title or accept being addressed as sir or ma'am. Many a politician or judge allows themselves to be addressed as sir or ma'am. The uptight ones who have fragile ego's and need to be reminded of how self-important they are, are the the ones who make a fuss. She's a failure in terms of her job, California's budget is in the toilet.
Senators don't make decisions on state budgets. Boxer has never served in state government, having gone from local government (the Marin County Board of Supervisors) to the House to the Senate. And she hasn't been in local government since 1982. Senators and Congresspeople do play a role in bringing federal money to their states but the California Congressional delegation has a long history of being divided and fractious and putting party and ideology above the interests of the state. (Contrast this to the Texas Congressional delegation which is solidly united and puts getting more money for Texas above party and ideology.) In any case Boxer isn't to blame for CA's fiscal meltdown as she would only play a small role in CA's finances- the Legislature and the dysfunctional CA Constitution are to blame as well as an insane fiscal structure which Boxer had nothing to do with crafting.

As for her personality, like it's that unusual for women from NYC to be abrasive and ballsy, especially short women? (She moved out west due to her husband's law practice.)

Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Dang right it takes a lot more effort and talent to be a General than a dirt-bag politician.

It takes an entire life to achieve that status, and all it takes are a bunch of mindless voters to be a Senator.

I'll give a General more respect any day.
Yeah, that's why there are more than 8 times as many Generals and Admirals than Senators.

Sorry, but it takes a lot of achievements to ever even be considered for Senate.

Boxer was a congressperson and a President of The County Board of Supervisors. And she has been able to withstand two elections after her initial election to the Senate. To say that a General is somehow more important and more accomplished than a Senator shows how narrow-minded you are.

BTW, I was an Officer in the Navy, all it took to be an officer was a college education and the Military BEGGED me to stay when I said I was leaving, they even offered me about 75k to stay. Yeah, it's so tough to excel in the military.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
In the military, they are called "Sir." A person in the military never calls a superior by their rank, it is always "Sir" or "Ma'am."
That's pure hogwash.

Comander Hallal was NEVER called anything but Commander by my unit.
Captain Davis was ONLY Captain Davis.

Even Gunnery Sergeant Gregory was Gunny or Gunnery Sergeant to the enlisted guys.

You say "Yes Sir" or you say "Yes Lieutenant Montgomery", to say that you never refer to them by their rank is just a fallacy.

What is your military service that you can say that with such authority?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I said I could forgive her not I forgive her. That does not mean that I agree with her. You should also pick up a dictionary. I think you are making up definitions of words as you go along. If there is a word that you don't understand, just look it up before you use it. I know Elitist is probably a catch phrase some blow hard commentator is probably using.
I explained it and how it related to your post, I know what it is. Apparently you do not.

Quote:
e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism
n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
1. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
2. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.
As I explained, elitist view their positions as superior because they believe themselves to be superior be it by various means as described above (intellect, social status, financial status, etc...).

Your acceptance or rather "willingness" (could forgive) to accept her behavior is contingent on her agreeing with your position which is an aspect of "social status" (ie Class A is more educated, cares more, etc...). Because of this relationship to that status, the perceived superiority excuses various actions because it is within the "perceived" group. Much like a lord who is excused of crimes that would be much more severe of a peasant or of racial elitism where one race is excused of its actions over the other.

Now you can accept the error in your claims or you can as is common with elitist, cling to your position of superiority to absolve yourself of the issue. Either way, my point stands.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
"Elitist" is a euphemism for high school behavior.
It may be applied in that manner, though my use of it was directly associated with its actual definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies