Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The geezer hung around long enough to be a general. She was elected by citizens. Big difference.

Being lucky enough not have her represent me I don't know how she got elected. No doubt she had a whole team talking her up to those who can't think for themselves and promising things she wouldn't deliver on. You know the typical vote for me crap. Not so in the service.

In the military where rank is earned it's earned by the individual and his/her accomplishments alone not voted on.
No babies are kissed and no hollow promises are made. The individual earns it.
There lies the difference. Elections for the most part are popularity contests.
Becoming a high ranking officer in any branch of the military can take upwards to twenty plus years.

However you can be excused from respecting the ones who protect your freedom to be ungrateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I might add that a gentleman addresses a woman by whatever title she prefers.

There are no finger bowls in the service.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I didnt watch this, but did he call the male senators "Senator"?

edit - oh he called them "sir" and her "ma'am."

He was being fair. She's being as touchy as the Dont Call Me Liz! lady -- I'll bet she gets a lot of "ma'am"s after this.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:26 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
How is this relevant to this discussion in any way shape or form?!
The Sarah Palin worshiping is nauseating!
Why I thought you'd never ask.....

Practically every time Sarah Palin gives a speech, she goes out of her way to recognize and express appreciation for the many sacrifices our men and women in uniform make so that the rest of us, including myself who have not worn the uniform can live freer, more peaceful lives. What she says is clearly from the heart, and if you can't or just plain refuse to recognize this, you're blind and deaf...or just a hateful bigot.

I contrast Palin's poise and class to Boxer's immeasurable jackassery when it comes to their views and feelings about our military. The juxtaposition is entirely relevant to this discussion.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ya think the General has never corrected a subordinate about being properly addressed?

Being addressed as madam is rather diminutive and a bit patronizing in this day and age.
You are so wrong, my friend. Addressing a female as ma'am is a show of the utmost respect equal to addressing a man as sir. What is demeaning to women everywhere was Ms Boxer's behavior. Obviously she thinks its demeaning to address a woman as ma'am and women everywhere ought to be outraged.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:53 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,066 times
Who Cares? Is this what American's have been reduced too?

Old 06-20-2009, 04:43 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
No apology from this ego Senator....but let us all wait till 2010 and see how many agreed with her behavior that she has showed over and over...First trying to have some Rep. Senators look like fools when they showed how big the spending bill was and that they didn't have time to read it before voting and now this.....this woman is just as nasty as Pelosi and certainly not helping the view on woman in business...

Old 06-20-2009, 05:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Since it seems to be OK to have two threads on this I'll post this here, too.

If Senator Boxer had been male this wouldn't have been newsworthy.

But a mere woman has the nerve to correct a MAN and everyone gets their knickers in a twist! A WOMAN making the rules, setting the guidelines, taking CONTROL!!!!

AAAAHHH Can't have THAT!!!

A woman "gets uppity" and OH MY! Who DOES she think she is!

She doesn't want to be called "boy" anymore! OH HORRORS!!!

LOOK at the hatred directed at her because she wants to be addressed correctly ! It is nothing but misogyny with a heavy dose of stupidity.

The term "Ma'am" is SEXIST.

What they do in the military has nothing to do with the circumstances of Boxer's request...SHE isn't in the military.

AND, the military has a history of sexual harrassment, sexual bias, and RAPE of it's female soldiers so don't tell me about his level of respect for Boxer or any other woman!!!!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:31 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Has anyone else considered the amount of willing co-operation that Babs is likely to get from the military after she displayed this attitude toward them?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Default The General vs. Babs

What is the latest public approval rating for congress,and what is it for the armed forces?Doesnt our military outpoll the politicos by about a 3 to 1 ratio?Senator Boxer has comitted a huge gaff that will haunt her,one that will be remembered in the election and that will earn her even more emnity among our service members.Chalk up a win for General Walsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies