Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:49 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,288,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree with that. People over 75 should NOT have transplants. They should have MRIs but transplants should be reserved for those who will most benefit from them. I would say that ends around 70 or so.
Aw hell, when one gets to be 75 let's just let the government deny ALL treatment. Why allow MRIs to a 75 year old? Pure waste of time and money. RIght?

Let's see how you feel when you get to be 70 or so,....OK?

Odds are your bluster will turn into a lawsuit, or a pity party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 05:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Who made hm a god/ He isn't even a doctor. What next decide who gets life savings procedures? I say leave nedical ethics upoto doctors and the decision upto family oir living wills.Like a nuse from england told me just the other day;she thniks that say someone who falls and has a bad break is going to have a hardtime being in tracton for weeks and not getting emrgency surgery which what people expect of heathcarte in this country as a example.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,580,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Aw hell, when one gets to be 75 let's just let the government deny ALL treatment. Why allow MRIs to a 75 year old? Pure waste of time and money. RIght?

Let's see how you feel when you get to be 70 or so,....OK?

Odds are your bluster will turn into a lawsuit, or a pity party.
I believe it's pretty rare for someone that old to receive a transplant.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,580,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"That is why it should not be left to them to decide."

A little story for Kevy about my neighbor..

Around 10 years ago my neighbors mother had a stroke, after being in a coma for a while the doctors told the daughter there was no hope and wanted to pull the plug.

The daughter refused and the mother came out of the coma and is a live today doing very well..

Moral of the story, Doctors don't always have the correct answers.
I know someone when I was in college who got into a really bad accident & was in a coma for..geez, I don't even remember how long. I'll say at least quite a few months if not a year. Anyway, he eventually came out of it. His speech & walking were of course affected, but otherwise healthy. This is why it is IMPERATIVE that people write a living will. Because in that instance, it is ultimately left up to the person who's sick what they want done to them. When that is not done, then we get situations like Obama is talking about, which I must say I do agree w/him on that stance.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:56 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,059,891 times
Quote:
I FULLY 100% agree. ALL treatments should be weighed with cost, side effects and prognosis considered. People who are death's doorstep should be made comfortable but all life prolonging treatments should cease when the doctors agree that it is futile.
My wife is an RN in the cardio labs where there put in stents and such.
When she tells me families are insisting on doing these procedures on 99 year old great grand parents I have to question it. These procedures are extremely expensive. I do not want to put a dollar price on a human life but sometimes families act on emotion and not clear thinking when making these types of decisions and it is not a benefit to anyone involved or anyone in general.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:02 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,921,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But isn't that for "I don't want any more to prolong life" type of documents ?

What if it goes the other way though..doctors deciding that you don't need that treatment based on your current health and studies on whether or not the next procedure is considered "needless" ?
1) No. They are for anyone who wants to make the decisions in their medical care and may become unable to make those decisions when the time comes. Anyone of legal age can have an Advanced Directive.

2) We already make those decisions. There is such a thing as the cure being worse than the disease. We also will not order tests a patient requests unless it is clinically indicated or a preventative measure.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:11 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
The Doctor. Or rather I would say the doctors since more than one should be in on such a decision. But if the person is gravely ill or injured and 3 docs agree that further life extending treatments are futile and will not give any quality of life, the plug should be pulled whether the family desires it or not. Families do not make logical decisions when it involves a loved one. That is why it should not be left to them to decide.
19 years ago my mother had cancer so bad the doctors thought she wouldn't survive and a priest was called in for the last rites. She's still alive today...

Let me put it bluntly: any stupid bureaucrat tries to deny myself or a loved one medical treatment like you wish, I'll take matters into my own hands with them. Nazis can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:12 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,952,698 times
Welcome to Logan's Run...

Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I agree with that. People over 75 should NOT have transplants. They should have MRIs but transplants should be reserved for those who will most benefit from them. I would say that ends around 70 or so.
Several people on my father's side of my family have lived into their 90's and 100's. You won't be so quick to deny healthcare to someone in their 70's when it's you though, I'm sure.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Welcome to Logan's Run...
That seems to be where we're headed. I pray it's not accepted by most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies