Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a gay or lesbian president?
Yes 170 73.28%
No 62 26.72%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That being said, I don't think that anyone could deny that being female with a buzz cut, big belt buckle, and boots is normal. Nor is it normal for a guy to be interested in decorating, fashion, and to have an effeminate voice. There are exceptions to the stereotypes, but the exception proves the rule.
I guess I don't have such rigid ideas about how men and women should dress or behave. It's maybe not typical to have the traits you mentioned, but it's also not typical to be a genius or to have the agility and strength of an Olympic gymnast.

Studies have shown that gay men have brain structures that are similar to heterosexual females. It's not a surprise, then, that many gay men have interests that would be considered feminine by some, or that gay women have characteristics that could be called masculine.

Quote:
In medical school , we were told by staff psychiatrists who participated in the formulation of the DSM 1 and beyond that the elimination of homosexuality from the DSM classification was a political move that corresponded to the rise of the gay agenda in the 1970s. Many thought it should have never been removed. I would tend to agree,as I think that it may provide a better avenue for increased tolerance if the general public simply accepted it as a disorder which cannot be helped.
It just seems hard to believe that all of the major medical and psychological associations in the modern world would allow millions to live with a disorder for all of these years, and pretend like nothing is wrong due to political pressure from homosexual activists in the 1970s.

Quote:
I personally do not have anything against gays at all. Whatever they want to do in thier own house is okay. However, if they enter the political arena as a public servant, thier personal life open to examination. The president needs to be squeeky clean and I do not think that someone living the gay lifestyle would be able to hold up under public scrutiny.
Given the histories of heterosexuals like Mark Sanford, John Ensign, John Edwards, and Bill Clinton, is "squeeky clean" really a logical or realistic standard?

You said that there are mental disorders that have a genetic component. Most of the time, if someone believes homosexuality is wrong, they say they believe it's either due to a mental/emotional disorder or a genetic disorder/birth defect. It sounds like you're saying you believe it's both. If that's the case, then wow - you must think that homosexuals are really screwed up, huh?

Are you a physician now? If so, do you have any homosexual patients and do they know how you feel about this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I agree. I don't believe homosexuality is a mental disorder. I'm still convinced that it's some sort of genetic variant that causes a relatively small percentage of the population to be sexually orientated toward the same gender. I think the incidence of this genetic variant is low because probably, historically, homosexuals didn't reproduce that much. But I believe the incidence of homosexuality is going to steadily increase due to homosexuals being able to reproduce using their own eggs/sperm via all kinds of fertility methods (in-vitro artificial insemination, surrogates, etc.). I'm not saying that homosexuals necessarily have homosexual children, but the possibility is there if my theory of homosexuality being a genetic issue is true.

But then again, I'm not a scientist, so I'm just speculating.
There are so many theories, but one that, I believe, is gaining credibility is the theory that sexual orientation is determined by hormonal levels in a mother's womb. I don't think this can be the only component, however, because it wouldn't explain how twins are sometimes born where one grows up to be heterosexual and the other, homosexual.

What I do believe is that there will someday be a way to monitor and manipulate hormonal levels in a mother's womb to ensure that a fetus develops a "heterosexual brain". Obviously, this will be hugely controversial, and will run into all kinds of ethical questions, but if the decision is a private one between a couple and their doctor, I don't see how it can be stopped. Although most people say they would love their children no matter how they turned out, very few, I believe, would allow their children to develop into homosexuals if they could do anything to prevent it. The parents might not even be anti-gay; they may just want to prevent their children from growing up to be homosexuals, and living with the stigmas and burdens that go along with it.

There probably would be some who wouldn't do anything to prevent it, just as there are some parents who don't have their children vaccinated for preventable diseases, but their numbers are few.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
Why or why not? Do you feel it's actually possible in your lifetime?
As long as they weren't the cartoonish types, who play act their gayness like some sort of a clown.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There are so many theories, but one that, I believe, is gaining credibility is the theory that sexual orientation is determined by hormonal levels in a mother's womb. I don't think this can be the only component, however, because it wouldn't explain how twins are sometimes born where one grows up to be heterosexual and the other, homosexual.

What I do believe is that there will someday be a way to monitor and manipulate hormonal levels in a mother's womb to ensure that a fetus develops a "heterosexual brain". Obviously, this will be hugely controversial, and will run into all kinds of ethical questions, but if the decision is a private one between a couple and their doctor, I don't see how it can be stopped. Although most people say they would love their children no matter how they turned out, very few, I believe, would allow their children to develop into homosexuals if they could do anything to prevent it. The parents might not even be anti-gay; they may just want to prevent their children from growing up to be homosexuals, and living with the stigmas and burdens that go along with it.

There probably would be some who wouldn't do anything to prevent it, just as there are some parents who don't have their children vaccinated for preventable diseases, but their numbers are few.
Good points. I guess scientists really haven't pinned down the cause(s) of homosexuality. And with our limited funds for research, I hardly think determining the cause of homosexuality is a priority. I don't mean that in a cruel way; on the contrary, I think that being homosexual is such a benign thing, biologically, that it doesn't warrant being given priority over, say, finding a cure for cancer. It's like spending millions of dollars on research trying to figure out why some people are left-handed. Does it really matter?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
You know, I gotta say, I really don't care why someone is gay. Whether it's genetic, hormone levels, etc., it simply doesn't matter. Someone is gay, get over it.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You know, I gotta say, I really don't care why someone is gay. Whether it's genetic, hormone levels, etc., it simply doesn't matter. Someone is gay, get over it.
Well, your view is the sensible one, but you are battling the religious zealots who claim that being gay is an abomination against God, and who, up to this point, have significant voting influence (Prop 8 in Cali, for instance). So if the biological process that leads to homosexuality could actually be identified, then science might one day reign supreme over religion.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Well, your view is the sensible one, but you are battling the religious zealots who claim that being gay is an abomination against God, and who, up to this point, have significant voting influence (Prop 8 in Cali, for instance). So if the biological process that leads to homosexuality could actually be identified, then science might one day reign supreme over religion.
That's probably the one reason why I'm ok w/the research for it, to turn those naysayers heads & watch them spin.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

I don't think its much different then one guy likes brunettes with dark eyes, who drink beer and love sports, and another guy like redheads who are intellectual, hate sports and paints Fabergé eggs. Who knows how we acquire are tastes in people or lovers, but I do not think we are born to it.

Last edited by Wapasha; 07-08-2009 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't think its much different then one guy likes brunettes with dark eyes, who drink beer and love sports, and another guy like redheads who are intellectual hate sports and paint Fabergé eggs. Who knows how we acquire are tastes in people or lovers, but I do not think we are born to it.
Who knows. I do think we are born into certain things. I've heard plenty of stories about twins who are separated at birth, then brought back together many years later, and discover that they speak and act in similar ways, and also have very similar interests. In one recent case I heard about, two women actually shared the same favorite book. That's incredible to me.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Genetics has always fascinated me. I think genes are beyond incredible, and I think they play a far more prominent role in who we are than many peoople understand (except, maybe geneticists). The human "blueprint" so to speak, is so complex, yet, paradoxically, so orderly that it's downright amazing.

To think that one little variant, on one single little gene, can cause HUGE human biological deviations. It boggles the mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies