Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Start enforcing a policy and it will take effect. Cops start going into bars with breathalizers and anyone with a firearm gets a test. If you are drunk (above the legal limit) and have a gun on you, 90 days in jail and a large fine. People will get the hint pretty quick. If drunk driving can get reduced through enfrocement, then so can drinking and firearms.

No problem there.

People can be trained to shoot to maim. Change the policy if you think prosecutors are going to go nuts on this. If someone is paranoid, and is ready to draw a gun and fire to protect themselves, the threat is probably at close range and its entirely possible.

At close range you might not have time to take careful aim at a non-vital area. Have you ever been in a fight? Like have you and another person physically attacked each other? Have you even been assaulted? If you have, you probably realize three things:

1) You revert to semi-animal behavior. The rush of hormones makes you quicker, more aggressive, and stronger, but it can also effect coordination and judgment. You probably will not be of presence of mind to take careful aim at another person's leg/shoulder/pinkie.

2) Real physical altercations often last only a few seconds. A lot of martial artists and self-defense instructors will tell you that it is extremely rare for a fistfight or an assault to last more than 30 seconds. Even in you are in the right frame of mind, you might not have time to take careful aim.

3) In a real attack, overkill might be the only option. Although being shot almost anywhere will f--k you right up. It sometimes takes a while to take effect. There have been cases where people have been shot over a dozen times and kept on going. If you are fighting for your life, you probably will not have the luxury of hoping that bullet to the arm will stop a guy who is pumped on adrenaline.

I would also like to ask if you have ever fired a gun. It is not as easy as it looks. You remember those old Westerns where the cowboys are standing across the street from each other shooting away and missing? That is closer to reality than you might think. There is a reason why you are supposed to aim for "center mass" when shooting for self-defense, because it is the easiest to hit and other than the head, it is the place most likely to stop an attack.

If a person is known to leave a gun out in the open wherever some kid can get it and then shoot another kid or commit a crime, it is negligence, they're a source for firearms just like those who sell them by illegal means, only while those that sell them are greedy and unscrupulous, those that get them stolen are stupid and irresponsible. Put an alarm on the case, photo cameras around them if you want to show you did everything in your power to keep them from getting stolen, whatever, but if you want the right, you need to take responsibility.

Those laws are already in place. Most places require guns to be stored in locked safes with the ammo stored separately.

I'll tell you a story, a guy in Flint left his gun where his 6 year old nephew could get it. The six year old took the gun to school and shot his classmate. The name was Kayla Rowling I believe and it happened in spring of 2000. Who should get penalized in that?

I know of that incident. The man was also a crack dealer (look it up) who had his sister living with him. He didn't have a gun lying around because he was an irresponsible legal gun owner, he had a gun lying around to shoot people who might try to rob him (and possibly to scare or kill any rival dealers on his turf).

If you want a gun, keep it under control, if you can't for any reason, you are a threat to others and you don't deserve that right.
My text is in bold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Just what we need, drunks with guns.
You didn't read it did you? Here is a learning exercise for you. First, read the article. Then pull out of the article any direct mention to what the law being purposed states (conditions and restrictions). Now after you have all of that information, please explain your claim of "drunks with guns" and how the information you obtained properly supports this mention. Could you do that for us please?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I live in Arizona and its a terrible place. Everyone has a concealed gun and we used to have a couple of gun fights outside every bar most evenings. The cops did nothing. They just wait to see who the winner is and, if they have been drinking, put him/her into tent city for DUI.

But it gets worse, while we are allowed to shoot each other, we are not allowed to shoot the wildlife. Even Chipmunks are off limits. I mean, what can a guy do for fun?

Now they are allowing guns in bars which means that the juke boxes are going to get shot up and we won't even have music. I don't mind stepping over the odd corpse to get to the juke box but it has to be working after all.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,187 times
Arizona was wild to begin with. Worries me, however, considering the combination of drinks and drugs found so often in such establishments. Not that I go to them, but sometimes bars are connected to restaurants. I have found the crime here to be somewhat less than I had been told. (small rural town)

Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Excellent law.

I carry concealed all the time - as does my wife.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
First off, the law does not allow guns in bars. The law allows a person with a CCW to legally carry in Resturants that serve alcohol. You still cannot carry in establishments whose primary revenue is generated by alcohol sales. Thus, no bars. Second the law states that one who does carry in a resturant may not drink alcohol.
Why would an otherwise law abiding citizen break the law suddenly and drink alcohol while carrying?

People who carry in bars and drink are lawbreakers. They did it before this law was passed and they'll do it after the law is passed. Laws mean nothing to lawbreakers. 39 other states already offer this same option and there has been no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies