Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 03:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
he was marketed better and managed better--the wonderful black artists of the 40's,50's etc had more talent in their little fingers than mj--tony williams of the platters had a remarkable vocal range-- but early black performers were purposefully mishandled,robbed of their monies--some even dying in poverty---THEY opened the door for the black musicians of the 90's like mj imho

mj was talented,but not the best---just very well marketed!
Exactly right. That, and the fact that he was more acceptable as a "crossover" artist than someone like James Brown--who was probably just as popular and at least as talented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
There have actually been studies done on the link between creativity and depression; there's a book about it. And again, the first route that people
generally take when hit with the pain of depression is to self-medicate, with drugs, alcohol or both. He'd had to work like an adult since he was 5;
he was always trying to create that lost childhood for himself. Also, he clearly suffered from arrested development. Stop picking at his bones.
Agreed

To the OP, Let the dirt settle on the poor guys grave before you go to **** on it. He was a talented but tortured entertainer. Nothing more or less. Alot of the self righteous tongue clucking about his life and death is just as shrill and ridiculous as the over the top mourning of his most rabid fans.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:18 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Agreed

To the OP, Let the dirt settle on the poor guys grave before you go to **** on it. He was a talented but tortured entertainer. Nothing more or less. Alot of the self righteous tongue clucking about his life and death is just as shrill and ridiculous as the over the top mourning of his most rabid fans.
Fair enough. But I disagree about the "talented" and tortured" entertainer bit. His talent was a matter of opinion, and any torture he endured was self-inflicted.

I made my point in this thread. Jackson was a hard-core drug user who used him money and influence to illegally obtain prescription drugs and horrifically abuse them. To glorify him and elevate him to hero status is absolutely ludicrous.

Enough said.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:19 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times

YouTube - Michael Jackson NYC Subway - Smooth Criminal
Smooth criminal on the subway.
I understand these subways are not as animated, most times.

This is slightly older, but fun

YouTube - Thriller dance in Chinatown - Michael jackson thriller

YouTube - NEW-Inmates at CPDRC dance to "Thriller" 08/30/08
New rehabilitation technique in the phillipines.
Skip ahead to halfway through - 1500 inmates dancing to thriller.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Fair enough. But I disagree about the "talented" and tortured" entertainer bit. His talent was a matter of opinion, and any torture he endured was self-inflicted.

I made my point in this thread. Jackson was a hard-core drug user who used him money and influence to illegally obtain prescription drugs and horrifically abuse them. To glorify him and elevate him to hero status is absolutely ludicrous.

Enough said.
Never said he was a hero - Like I wrote Just an entertainer, no more or less.

If you think his torture was self inflicted you are ignoring the beatings he took from his dad as a kid and those he endured throughout his life from the public & press.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post

YouTube - Michael Jackson NYC Subway - Smooth Criminal
Smooth criminal on the subway.
I understand these subways are not as animated, most times.

This is slightly older, but fun

YouTube - Thriller dance in Chinatown - Michael jackson thriller

YouTube - NEW-Inmates at CPDRC dance to "Thriller" 08/30/08
New rehabilitation technique in the phillipines.
Skip ahead to halfway through - 1500 inmates dancing to thriller.
+1 way cool. Thanks for sharing

Old 07-11-2009, 04:31 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post

Enough said.

You will never be accused of having too much empathy. Enough said.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:09 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Whatever.... Micheal was taped about sleeping with your boys.
I guess your OK with your kids engaging in this activity.
LOL, what? Nice comeback, what are you, a child? Either that or drunk. Judging by the time of this post, I'll go w/that.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Just because someone was a drug user doesn't mean they had no cultural impact.

Example: Pretty much every musical artist ever
I agree. I don't understand the extreme need for some people to point out that MJ used drugs; you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who was/is considered a musical legend who didn't have a substance problem or run-in's with the law. Only one I can think of off the top of my head would be Stevie Wonder. I guess caring more about the lifestyle they lead then the music they make is a new thing

Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree. I don't understand the extreme need for some people to point out that MJ used drugs; you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who was/is considered a musical legend who didn't have a substance problem or run-in's with the law. Only one I can think of off the top of my head would be Stevie Wonder. I guess caring more about the lifestyle they lead then the music they make is a new thing
Most people who are creative take some sort of drug, usually it's pot. But I really don't care if they do. If they produce something that I love & that speaks to me, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies