Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 01:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,103,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Not sure what you are getting at here.........but I have mentioned numerous times on this forum what the definition of African American is......
Maybe an illustration might help.

Americans

Subset:
African Americans
Subset
black Nigerian Americans

black Jamaican Americans

black Peruvian Americans

Native born black Americans.
It really doesn't get any simpler than that.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,312,106 times
As a black male who's family has been here since at least the 1790's (thats as far back as I can trace), I really dont care for the term African American. I use it in public b/c it seems to make the public comfortable, but in all honesty, Ive never been to Africa, dont have a clue about everyday culture over there, dont know the language and may not ever visit in my lifetime.
Dominicans and Brazilians of African Descent dont even think about AFrica, they are just straight up Dominican or Brazilian and thats it. They embrace the culture of that country and thats nice to see.
I personally believe if your liniage in this country traces back a hundred or so years, just call urself american and leave it at that. A lot Africans that come to the USA dont particularly care for American Blacks anyway. They have derogatory terms that they use.

Also 75% of American blacks have european or American Indian blood in them anyway but a lot of people like to forget about that

Old 10-11-2009, 02:03 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,431,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halleda View Post
I would but I don't see those kind of idiots down here. I am an American of Irish, Indian and French heritage. What? Am I not allowed to criticize blacks because I am white.
I don't care what color you are -- or aren't -- I just wish you'd make sense. Saying blacks don't "deserve" to be called African-American doesn't make sense. And you failed to clarify.

You can criticize anyone you want. You can be racist if you want. You can be sexist if you want. Your body, your choice.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:10 PM

42 posts, read 125,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I was going to say "good for her" until I got to the part about the confederate flag beach towel . . . I think unfortunately you are nursing an identity crisis in her and it will blow up in your face. No one should be carrying around a confederate flag -- sorry -- and I have ancestors from Texas so I have a lot of fondness for southern culture. But I don't see a healthy black young lady embracing the confederate flag.
I agree with you. Many people might give her strange looks for carrying around a confederate beach towel. Is she proud that her ancestors were mistreated and forced to be slaves?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,300,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildevited View Post
I agree with you. Many people might give her strange looks for carrying around a confederate beach towel. Is she proud that her ancestors were mistreated and forced to be slaves?

My daughter simply believes that those who are so against a piece of cloth are, to use her words .... STUPID.

Heck, she has even been cursed at by some of her peers for liking NASCAR

Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,103,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Dominicans and Brazilians of African Descent dont even think about AFrica
That's interesting, Google Afro-Brazilian and you get 543,000 returns.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM

193 posts, read 192,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I don't care what color you are -- or aren't -- I just wish you'd make sense. Saying blacks don't "deserve" to be called African-American doesn't make sense. And you failed to clarify.

You can criticize anyone you want. You can be racist if you want. You can be sexist if you want. Your body, your choice.
Okay, I'll be clear. They are either Americans of African heritage or they are Africans living in America. If they lived in Africa during their life and moved here then African American applies. If they were born here then they do not deserve to call themselves the same category as those who actually ARE Africans who moved here. I am American and I have Irish ancestors. I do not deserve the right to call myself an Irishman because I was not born in Ireland. I am part Irish and ALL American. I call myself an American, no hyphens.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:27 PM

193 posts, read 192,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildevited View Post
Just how may blacks freely and willingly fought FOR the Confederacy? How come there are numerous blacks here who attend Confederate day ceremonies and even wear soldier garb because their ancestors were on the side of the south. Remember, the War between the States was fought over a lot more than slavery. The south wanted to retain the balance between states' rights and the fed. The north's capital wanted the right to dictate to all the states. I realize a lot here don't mind swapping security for freedom but we southerns, after losing our sovereignty to an invading army and having been an occupied country for 150 years now hold freedom a lot more dear than some here.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:44 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,431,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halleda View Post
Okay, I'll be clear. They are either Americans of African heritage or they are Africans living in America. If they lived in Africa during their life and moved here then African American applies. If they were born here then they do not deserve to call themselves the same category as those who actually ARE Africans who moved here. I am American and I have Irish ancestors. I do not deserve the right to call myself an Irishman because I was not born in Ireland. I am part Irish and ALL American. I call myself an American, no hyphens.
Wrong on so many levels.
1. If someone lived anywhere else and moved here later in life, s/he can only call her/himself an "American" if, indeed, s/he is an American. If s/he hasn't been naturalized, then s/he isn't an American.
2. An African-American is calling himself an American of African descent. That's what the hyphen does, it shows that the first word modifies (that is, explains) the second. While it would indeed be incorrect for you to call yourself an Irishman, it would not be incorrect for you to call yourself Irish-American.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 PM

40,967 posts, read 49,283,992 times
I have a client who's white who's family goes back generations in southern Africa.

He had a point that he is also African - American. Many people believe this term only describes blacks but many white Africans have moved here to the US.

So does African-American not apply to these whites also if you must use a label ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies