Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I'm black and I despise the term African-American. If you research the history of the term African-American came about, you'll see that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were the forces behind African-American becoming a part of American vernacular.

Actually.......that term came about long before most of us ever heard of Jesse and Al...........

Old 10-11-2009, 09:32 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildevited View Post
Honestly, I think the blacks that demand to be called "African AMERICAN" just don't want to be called black because they're ashamed of their heritage.
what is "Black" Heritage?
There are "Black" people in Madagascar, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Australia, New Guinea and all over the world.
What do Black people in America have in common with black people all over the world? Africa. What is Different ? American Culture. The most distinguishing thing about Africans in "The Americas" and the rest of the world is Slavery and more importantly ,Segregation. Mainstream America was not very knowledgeable about African American culture until the 1960's
Many of the 150 ethnic groups in America don't think of themselves as just "American" either

Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,808 times
I don't know why someone would have a problem uing Black instead of AA.

I'm also questioning the veracity of your post. Takes the confederate flag with her whereever she goes? Yet she wants to call herself Black.

Yeah, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As I recently mentioned on another thread, we have an adopted daughter who is 19 years old. She is Black. She REFUSES to use the phrase / term "African-American". Under no circumstance will she use the term. And, she has had some problems at the University for not using "African-American" rather than Black.

Then again, she loves Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. She also loves NASCAR and INSISTED I get her a Confederate Flag beach towel which she takes with her everywhere!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
As I recently mentioned on another thread, we have an adopted daughter who is 19 years old. She is Black. She REFUSES to use the phrase / term "African-American". Under no circumstance will she use the term. And, she has had some problems at the University for not using "African-American" rather than Black.

Then again, she loves Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. She also loves NASCAR and INSISTED I get her a Confederate Flag beach towel which she takes with her everywhere!
If this is true, it's sad.

If it's true, I am embarrassed for her and concerned about her.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
I have a gentleman that works for me as a Lawyer. He was born and raised in Johannesburg (sp?) South Africa. He legally immigrated to the United States when he was in his early 20's. He became a naturalized citizen.

He is White

He checks the box "African-American" on the forms that ask for disclosure.

Do you agree with his selection?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
They have no connections to Africa at all.
True, but to use the term African-American, it is more likely the scourge of slavery and white man's culpability will never go away, even though it would be difficult to find any AA in the US directly descended from slaves.

It is just a convenient term that perpetuates the need for "compensation".

Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
I have a gentleman that works for me as a Lawyer. He was born and raised in Johannesburg (sp?) South Africa. He legally immigrated to the United States when he was in his early 20's. He became a naturalized citizen.

He is White

Of course he should check AA, that is what he is.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 AM

193 posts, read 191,899 times
He is more African American than virtually every American citizen who happens to be black. Blacks do NOT deserve to call themselves both African and American in the same word.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halleda View Post
He is more African American than virtually every American citizen who happens to be black. Blacks do NOT deserve to call themselves both African and American in the same word.

Which is why there are many black americans that don't want to be called african american.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:

He is White

Wow, the hits just keep on coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies