Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 09:59 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleda View Post
He is more African American than virtually every American citizen who happens to be black. Blacks do NOT deserve to call themselves both African and American in the same word.
"Deserve"??? Blacks don't "deserve" to call themselves African-American?

Maybe you should focus on whites who call themselves or identify each other as Polish-Americans or Italian-Americans or German-Americans, etc.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Yeah, it's your right to tell a group of people how they should refer to themselves..........black and African American are not synonymous.....while all African Americans are black, not all blacks are African American.

The whites ,or the Arabs from Africa who emigrate to USA are called "whites " & "Arabs " respectively.

Everybody uses the AA term only for blacks.However,u are right,there are islander blacks too,like Powell( Jamaica) & AG Holder( Barbados)...

Now,a black offended by the term "black " is paranoid,
like someone with a white car who gets nervous
when they call it ..."white "...

Let them introduce to sensus 2010 the term "islander black "...

Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have a gentleman that works for me as a Lawyer. He was born and raised in Johannesburg (sp?) South Africa. He legally immigrated to the United States when he was in his early 20's. He became a naturalized citizen.

He is White

He checks the box "African-American" on the forms that ask for disclosure.

Do you agree with his selection?

Sounds like one of the many South African whites who decided that SA had suddenly become aware that whiteness in that country wasn't particularly healthy. Unless he's got dual citizenship, he's no more AA than anyone else. But then again, this world is kind of messed up by the labels so he can call himself whatever he wants.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
If this is true, it's sad.
Yes, what I related is very true. Why would you feel "sad"?

Quote:
If it's true, I am embarrassed for her and concerned about her.
Why are you "embarrassed" for her? Why are you "concerned" for her?
She certainly does not feel "embarrassed" - not in the least!!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Yes, what I related is very true. Why would you feel "sad"?

Why are you "embarrassed" for her? Why are you "concerned" for her?
She certainly does not feel "embarrassed" - not in the least!!
Precisely. That's why I feel embarrassed for her.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:14 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
I have a gentleman that works for me as a Lawyer. He was born and raised in Johannesburg (sp?) South Africa. He legally immigrated to the United States when he was in his early 20's. He became a naturalized citizen.

He is White

Trust me I don't of know of any White person Born in South Africa who will say they are an African, Historically They came there to kill Africans. Don't know how familiar you were with Apartheid, but they weren't say'n "We Africans can't get along"
This is a very old and tiresome thread, In a nut shell , African American is a "TERM" designated to describe Black people in the United States who's History and more importantly, Culture, have direct links to the Atlantic Slave trade.
So your friend is ignorant of who the United States government thinks he is.
I bet when Job applications, apartment complexes, bank Loans,and Country Clubs ask him who is is he isn't ignorant, he checks "White"

Old 10-11-2009, 12:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:

He is White

No, as he is a European descendant from Apartheid South Africa.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
True, but to use the term African-American, it is more likely the scourge of slavery and white man's culpability will never go away, even though it would be difficult to find any AA in the US directly descended from slaves.

It is just a convenient term that perpetuates the need for "compensation".
I look in the mirror and see an African. So do the police.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
The whites ,or the Arabs from Africa who emigrate to USA are called "whites " & "Arabs " respectively.

Everybody uses the AA term only for blacks.However,u are right,there are islander blacks too,like Powell( Jamaica) & AG Holder( Barbados)...

Now,a black offended by the term "black " is paranoid,
like someone with a white car who gets nervous
when they call it ..."white "...

Let them introduce to sensus 2010 the term "islander black "...

Not sure what you are getting at here.........but I have mentioned numerous times on this forum what the definition of African American is......and Powell and Holder fit the second definition (a non African American black person who has assimilated into the African American culture)...

Old 10-11-2009, 01:12 PM

193 posts, read 191,899 times
Quote:
"Deserve"??? Blacks don't "deserve" to call themselves African-American?

Maybe you should focus on whites who call themselves or identify each other as Polish-Americans or Italian-Americans or German-Americans, etc.
I would but I don't see those kind of idiots down here. I am an American of Irish, Indian and French heritage. What? Am I not allowed to criticize blacks because I am white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies