Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,845,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I call total BS on you AND your thread(s).

ADVOCATING Cheney of all people for POTUS
https://www.city-data.com/forum/9723942-post23.html

FAR right.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/9979301-post21.html

Loving you some Newt.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/9979223-post10.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/9976847-post1.html

Loving you some right wing wackos.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/9919127-post1.html

SHOWING your lack of support of Obama.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/9728410-post37.html

You have less than 60 posts and have started one right wing thread after the other.....IF you are going to CONTINUE to do such,you better up your game because you are pretty transparent.
lmao the poster actually forgot or didnt know u can look at what he posted in the past.. this dude/chic dont have anything else better to do than to fake like he voted for obama

lane poster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,866,869 times
I love how the topic of this thread changed

I just hear " another one bites the dust and another one gone another gone another one bites the dust.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,987,246 times
So this whole thread started out about the Gates scenario, but suddenly it has turned it into another "stimulus" thread. Why don't you address the topic of the thread instead of going completely off topic?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,663,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
lmao the poster actually forgot or didnt know u can look at what he posted in the past.. this dude/chic dont have anything else better to do than to fake like he voted for obama

lane poster
Again, no one faked anything, follow the logic please! The OP is QUOTING from the video.

Just when you think liberals can't get any more dumb!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:12 PM

16 posts, read 20,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, the stock market's rallied to over 9,100. There's skyrocketing housing starts. Consumer spending is up and a lot of major companies are posting profits again.
Really?

http://www.census.gov/const/newresconst.pdf

Quote:
Privately-owned housing starts in June were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 582,000. This is 3.6 percent (±11.3%)* above the revised May estimate of 562,000, but is 46.0 percent (±4.3%) below the June 2008 rate of 1,078,000.
Not sure I'd call a 3.6% month-over-month increase, during the building season (which only starts in late June/early July in the Pacific Northwest, at least), "skyrocketing".

The P/E ratio for the S&P 500 index is skyrocketing, that's for sure! (Price/Earnings - the price of the stock per share divided by the anticipated earnings per share.)

Historically, the S&P's P/E ratio has been below 20 (that means you invest $20, and expect to earn $1 per year, or 5% rate of return, or repaying your investment in 20 years, however you want to look at it) except for a brief runup in 1999-2000, when it got into the 30s. In December of 2008 it shot up over 60. (See first link below.)

Yes, as of December 2008, investing $60 in the S&P 500 index would pay $1 per year, or pay you back your investment in 60 years. Surely, it couldn't get worse.

http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf...00pe_ratio.xls

March of 2009 the actual P/E is 116.31. Guess it could get worse. Your investment repaid in 116.31 years. Planning to live that long?

June 30, currently 53% of companies reporting, actual P/E is . . . 768.73!

http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf...P500EPSEST.XLS

No doubt it will come down when the remaining 47% report (see commentary below, expected to decline 43.5%), but it's still expected to remain higher than 116. And higher than 350. And that's more than 12 times the historical average of the last 130 years.

But yes, everything's fine, and we should run out and buy stocks because they're not overpriced at all.

Also from the second spreadsheet:

Quote:
Q2 2009 197 issues (52.75% mkt val) rptd: Oper EPS expected to decline 16.5%; As Rpt expected to decline 43.5%
Actual operating reported (same companies) are 7.2% ahead of estimates but 29.6% lower than Q2,08; As Rptd off 4.52%
60.9% beat their estimates, with 35.5% beating last years EPS, and 23.9% beating both
Sales off 9.7%, with 24.7% ahead of last year, and 75.3% reporting lower sales
As Rpt EPS for 12 Mo Sep,'09 estimated to be negative ($-1.01 EPS) - first time in index history

Commentary: No cash flow yet, but 2008 off 39.7%; Q1,'09 was off 44.5% fr Q1,'09; estimate Q2,'09 to be off high 30%-to-40% ->less worse

2010 P/E bottom-up is 13.2 vs. top-down 21.2; the two will meet->based on history (stressful periods) it will be closer to the top-down

After declines, recent estimates have turned slightly up. But getting less worse is different than getting better, and significantly different than being good. Stats can be misleading - Fin'ls are up 273% from Q2'08 (which was negative), but are still down 83.0% from Q2,'07. The lack of charges (write-offs, impairments, layoffs, write downs,…) has helped and is a positive sign, but sales remain key - you can just cut so much and for so long; consumer spending (read as the impact of the stimulus bill) is key, with confidence right behind it.
Last I saw, the stock market will hit historical P/E ratios at a DJIA of about 3,400. It's currently over 9,000. It's a bubble. Again, or still, however you want to see it.

Don't touch the indexes. If you want to do stocks, find particular companies, research them, if they're a good value with a recession-resistant product, go for it.
Quote:
All the early indicators are trending positive, though I did read a well-regarded economic forecaster who wrote back in 2008 that we were entering a prolonged economic depression that would see some positive upswings in '09 and then plummet and not fully recover until about 2020.
Kinda like the Great Depression, you mean? Check the charts. The bottom didn't hit until 1933, with upswings in the midterm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I guess you didn't watch the video then because there is a quote in it that says "I supported him. I voted for him. I will not again."

So instead of accusing the OP for making a false statement, I would suggest you apologize and watch the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post

lane poster
Wow. BigHouse9 has said TWICE now that the OP was quoting the video. Edit: Thrice!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,601,350 times
Sort of went from "Yes we can" to "yes we did" to "no we will never do again"

Old 07-28-2009, 02:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,735,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleePR View Post
Really?

http://www.census.gov/const/newresconst.pdf

Not sure I'd call a 3.6% month-over-month increase, during the building season (which only starts in late June/early July in the Pacific Northwest, at least), "skyrocketing".
The most recent numbers show a substantial increase in housing starts. It surprised a lot of people. No one said we're out of the woods, but given our primitive economy that measures more buildings as inherently good, it's something.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,022,236 times
We are only 1/8th through his first term. That is not enough time to judge the job he has done. 6 months really isnt enough time to make an impact.

A good chunk of the stimulus money hasnt even been touched yet. But, I know firsthand that several hundred jobs in my area alone has been created due to it.

Give the man some time before you start making decisions on who you are going to vote for 3 1/2 years from now.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 PM

30,205 posts, read 18,779,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I can't count how many times I've heard "I will never vote for him again" among my inner circle.

Obama's only hope is to cater to moderates. No self-respecting liberal will bother with him.
How do you suppose that a marxist will appeal to moderates? Obama's election was more a reflection of people's dislike of Bush, and not an endorsement of Obama's views. I think the dems could have run a family pet against McCain and won.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:51 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,819,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
He's got both ends of the spectrum pissed at him. He's a one term wonder.

Liberals aren't happy with him because he's not spending enough or getting as hard core as they want on taxing the rich to death, taking over healthcare, pulling out of Iraq, or cracking down on environmental taxes. Conservatives aren't happy with him because he's a left wing tax and spend liberal who leans towards huge government, and his foreign policy harkens back to the Jimmy Carter era.

He better hope he can capture a huge amount of centrists and get his left leaning base to hold their noses. If he gets a serious primary challenge from the far left, he's done.
It's a bit early to write him off and maybe will find his compass which should point pretty much LEFT because it was US who elected him. Otherwise we would be looking at President Clinton II. The first rule of politics is not to **** your base off too much which he is doing a good job of right now. And there are not enough centerist in this country to elect a dog catcher. Maybe- at best- 20% of the people are center. The other 80% either are liberal or conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies