Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the war got us out of the depression, so i hope you are not suggesting another war to help out this time. (though you have to wonder with all the escalation in afghanistan, colombia, and pakistan).
I love it when people make this argument. They complain about government spending never ending a recession/depression, and then cite MASSIVE government spending as the means that finally ended the Great Depression.

Remember, wars are government spending. During the height of WWII, government spending accounted for more than 1/3 of the GDP.

If you look at the statistics, except for a blip in 1937, FDR helped cut unemployment in half before the war (no small feat for it being just one aspect of a vast economy).

That said, I have no idea why the stimulus money isn't getting out. It's really frustrating me. If we're going to pay for it, let's at least get it out so we can honestly assess its value, not just have a meaningless popularity contest of what the public "thinks" might happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I love it when people make this argument. They complain about government spending never ending a recession/depression, and then cite MASSIVE government spending as the means that finally ended the Great Depression.

Remember, wars are government spending.

If you look at the statistics, except for a blip in 1937, FDR helped cut unemployment in half before the war (no small feat for it being just one aspect of a vast economy).

Now, I have no idea why the stimulus money isn't getting out. It's really frustrating me. If we're going to pay for it, let's at least get it out so we can honestly assess its value, not just what a popularity contest of the public "thinks" might happen.
It's an education issue.

The public just doesn't understand these facets because they slept during US History and Civics I.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Generally speaking, the average participant in a survey such as this one knows jack about the economy.

Is it working? I'd imagine that wherever this stimulus money is going might take a while to show any real benefits. Naturally, there is a lot of bureaucracy involved with getting this money into the hands of the people that could spend it in the right places. It is too early to tell.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
No, I'd like to see us get out by using social means- the NRA (not the gun nuts, the program of the 30's) the CCC, socialized health care and school assistance (college).

But, if you look back at the 30's, the history is again repeating, only a bit worse:

Obama (closer to Grover Cleveland than FDR) is underfunding the social stim programs by 2/3.

He also allowed the Auto Industry to offshore

These facts make a jobless recovery a given.

So, just like the late 30's,( post-'36) when the new Congress forced FDR to be fiscally responsible, to concentrate on the deficit rather than unemployment, we will flouder, and extremism will grow.

Remember they were storing guns and food for the coming revolution in Iowa! for god's sake. Prior to Pearl Harbor.

Today, nobody can say for sure what will happen left unchecked; if you notice the GOP is not a beneficary of the ginned-up hatred among our masses.

But it will not be pretty.

And that's both a shame (over the missed opportunity) and a major cause for fear.
those programs require increased spending and china is not funding increased spending. if china did liquidate their bonds, they could presumably tank the united states economy. (although a highly unlikely scenario).
what our country needs is not more spending, but more production (in other words, more income!)
i don't think that either party has considered the american worker in their quest for global growth. we have allowed outsourcing to ship work out and illegal immigrants to undercut american workers at home. since neither party will address the issues, we are probably doomed to be in economic stagnation for years, with no recovery, jobless or otherwise.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Remember, wars are government spending. During the height of WWII, government spending accounted for more than 1/3 of the GDP.

That said, I have no idea why the stimulus money isn't getting out. It's really frustrating me. If we're going to pay for it, let's at least get it out so we can honestly assess its value, not just have a meaningless popularity contest of what the public "thinks" might happen.
it was not massive government spending, it was MANUFACTURING! we actually produced things that other countries wanted and our GDP benefited from that.
we have shifted to being a consumer nation and now we are just borrowing, not producing, and there is quite a difference.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,307 times
Should we really care what the average Joe has to think about the stimulus plan? How many of them understand macroeconomics? A similar poll of economists would be more interesting.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
those programs require increased spending and china is not funding increased spending. if china did liquidate their bonds, they could presumably tank the united states economy. (although a highly unlikely scenario).
what our country needs is not more spending, but more production (in other words, more income!)
i don't think that either party has considered the american worker in their quest for global growth. we have allowed outsourcing to ship work out and illegal immigrants to undercut american workers at home. since neither party will address the issues, we are probably doomed to be in economic stagnation for years, with no recovery, jobless or otherwise.
Point is, government spending is the ONLY way out of a Depression.

History is conclusive on this.

And while we should finance our deficit (most of it piled up by useless taxcuts and Oil Wars) by reindustrializing the US, at this point, any way we do it is a good way.

When you are hanging over a precipice, it does not matter who throws you a rope, you see.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Yeah we should have handed contracts to more of the reblicans buddies and started another meaningless war... that was working MUCH better!
New Flash. George Bush is no longer the POTUS. Get over it.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
Should we really care what the average Joe has to think about the stimulus plan? How many of them understand macroeconomics? A similar poll of economists would be more interesting.

Mainstreamers?

The guys you see on tv?

May as well ask the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.

Their predictive record couldn't be any worse.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
it was not massive government spending, it was MANUFACTURING! we actually produced things that other countries wanted and our GDP benefited from that.
we have shifted to being a consumer nation and now we are just borrowing, not producing, and there is quite a difference.
And who sponsored the "manufacturing" in the 30's?

And 40's?

B-17's, Liberty Boats, Norden Bombsights.

Sound familiar??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies