Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM

4,154 posts, read 11,032,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My guess is after they were unable to subdue him with the stun gun that there was some belief on their part that he was on drugs. That is usually the assumption in such cases. When a person is hopped up on drugs, there is no telling what they will do and often times that many bullets are required to stop them from being a threat.
did we read the same article?

taser? drugs? show me where that's all mentioned in the OP's link please

Otherwise, let us know what article did you read...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 AM

4,154 posts, read 11,032,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's very unfortunate (the self-defense story you mentioned). In self-defense classes, you're taught to shoot to "stop the threat." However, the threat doesn't really stop unless the subject is killed. Why? Because, if that person lives, he and his lawyer have the option to tell lies to a jury. Shoot to kill if you're going to pull the trigger. The person in your example learned this the hard way. In my house, if i'm pulling the trigger, someone's not walking away from it.

With that being said, 59 rounds seems pretty excessive for one individual.
59 rounds is excessive since the suspect was already laying down prior to the first round as well...

Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,777,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Where did the article say they attempted to subdue him with stun gun?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Obviously you only read a few lines and then decided it's all a falsehood. Read the whole story.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM

18,005 posts, read 15,696,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A case here last year where someone shot in self defense, he shot twice. The first shot put the man on the ground, then he shot again and killed him. He was charged because the first shot was in self-defense but not the second. The police should be held to the same standard.

It's interesting that the police got such itchy trigger fingers in these situations when they switched to high cap semi-auto pistols from revolvers.
BINGO! Cases os citizen self defense are, more often than not. limited (very) in number of rounds fired to stop an attack. LE has shown an alarming tendency to fire evreything at their disposal, with number of rounds on target far behind number fired. If you think that the average LE officer trains intensively with firearms and for handling them proprly under stress, think again. POST sends department range officers a bunch of spray and pray idiots, far to often. The noteable exceptions being prior service military, who handle their weapons well, but still show a tendency to put out far to many rounds to handle most police defensive shootings. Stop the threat, that is the rule.But you can't stop said threat unless you HIT the attacker. Squarly. 59 rounds? Multiple officers? ONE guy? Come on!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,465,267 times
Anecdotal story. My husband and I took our local "Citizen's Police Academy" a few years ago. During one of the sessions, our instructor related a story about the pursuit of a criminal, where the "perp" ended up with his back up against a wall. I don't recall enough details to relate why the police opened fire, but they did -- multiple officers, multiple guns, multiple rounds. With a non-moving target backed up against a wall.

When all was said and done, they arrested the man and dragged him off in handcuffs, not a bullet wound anywhere on his body, and a perfect outline of him in bullet holes where he stood against the wall.

I'll leave it to the reader to come up with your own moral to this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies