Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:41 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,257,302 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Thursday007
COBRA cost more than 50% of your pay if you get unemployed right now. Never has unemployment been a more real potential event than right now. What would you do then pommysmommy?

Most people don't pay it is what happens and then end up with astronomical medical bills and then they file bankruptsy and most bankruptsies are for excessive medical bills- guess who pays for that? You do.

I'm not proposing any answers here just providing some info on the big picture of reality.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Until the end of Dec 2009, your COBRA is subsidized by the government if you are laid off.
Boy, if this isn't the most ludacris thought process I've ever seen. Lady, you talk out both sides of your mouth and don't even know where you are in your own arguement.

First, for years the COBRA system was ineffective for reasons stated above so we are still feeling that. It is a known fact that medical cost are the prime reason for bankruptsy and you the consumer pay for that in every item you purchase from groceries to health care.

Point two - who pays this temporary Cobra benefit until December 2009? The government and where does the Government get its money? FROM YOU. You say you are against paying for government health care - BUT YOU ARE ALREADY DOING IT and are proposing it here like it's a good thing. Make up your mind! Point three - what happens after December 2009? Point four - and you lose your income except for unemployment?

Debating an issue is all well and good but for god sake do your basic homework. And now you go and start a couple more threads on the same subject? Oh this is rich.

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-23-2009 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:59 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,068,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
No. Clearly those who can't afford to pay anything won't pay anything. And those who can afford to pay extra will pay extra. It will be no different than anything else in our tax code.
This is what alarms me the most about UHC ... The proponents cannot even provide us with how much this system will cost us. We are supposed to just blindly trust our inept, inefficient, wasteful government without counting the costs involved. Sounds like a recipe for economic disaster.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,818,216 times
Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me just how much blind faith people put in insurance industry run health care considering the profits the industry is putting up, the amount of money they spent on political donations and lobbying, the amount spent on sales and marketing, the fact that they use income from premiums to hire people to whose job it is to find reasons to deny coverage to policy holders. And then they still have deductibles, co-pays, exclusions and coverage caps. Talk about flushing money down the toilet....

And with it all, most people are under-insured.

Oh well, it works for the insurance companies.
I tried to rep you.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:30 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,436,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This is what alarms me the most about UHC ... The proponents cannot even provide us with how much this system will cost us. We are supposed to just blindly trust our inept, inefficient, wasteful government without counting the costs involved. Sounds like a recipe for economic disaster.
And yet we know that we pay more per person than any other country in the world -- though we fail to provide care to everyone -- with the system we have but people like you want to desperately cling to it. Why? We know Medicare has the lowest administrative costs of any insurance program -- no profits, no lobbying, no political contributions, minimal marketing.

You want economic disaster? Stick to the insurance-company run health care system tied to employment. That's the economic disaster we are living with.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:33 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,417,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This seems to be the only argument against health insurance. To me, you try and save lives and worry about how to pay for it afterwards, instead of the republican way of just letting the less fortunate people fend for themselves.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,441,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
COBRA cost more than 50% of your pay if you get unemployed right now. Never has unemployment been a more real potential event than right now. What would you do then pommysmommy?

Most people don't pay it is what happens and then end up with astronomical medical bills and then they file bankruptsy and most bankruptsies are for excessive medical bills- guess who pays for that? You do.

I'm not proposing any answers here just providing some info on the big picture of reality.

Boy, if this isn't the most ludacris thought process I've ever seen. Lady, you talk out both sides of your mouth and don't even know where you are in your own arguement.

First, for years the COBRA system was ineffective for reasons stated above so we are still feeling that. It is a known fact that medical cost are the prime reason for bankruptsy and you the consumer pay for that in every item you purchase from groceries to health care.

Point two - who pays this temporary Cobra benefit until December 2009? The government and where does the Government get its money? FROM YOU. You say you are against paying for government health care - BUT YOU ARE ALREADY DOING IT and are proposing it here like it's a good thing. Make up your mind! Point three - what happens after December 2009? Point four - and you lose your income except for unemployment?

Debating an issue is all well and good but for god sake do your basic homework. And now you go and start a couple more threads on the same subject? Oh this is rich.
The COBRA subsidy is part of the ARRA legislation. You do know about ARRA right? Where did I post that I supported this government subsidy?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,758,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

Many of these people won't even have Bankruptcy to fall back on. Many have already done so to get out of upside down houses. They may have made many bad choices in their lives but can America have tens of millions of Seniors living on the street because we refuse to address Nationalized Health Care

Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,584,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Oh, and everybody does know that the rich pay NOTHING into social security, right? In fact, you don't even have to be "rich," per se. If you make over $100,000 (could be lower--I've forgotten the exact amount), you are exempt from paying social security tax.
Exempt on the amount ABOVE the maximum! not EXEMPT!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,584,185 times
Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me just how much blind faith people put in insurance industry run health care considering the profits the industry is putting up, the amount of money they spent on political donations and lobbying, the amount spent on sales and marketing, the fact that they use income from premiums to hire people to whose job it is to find reasons to deny coverage to policy holders. And then they still have deductibles, co-pays, exclusions and coverage caps. Talk about flushing money down the toilet....

And with it all, most people are under-insured.

Oh well, it works for the insurance companies.
No kidding!!!

But they are effecient at taking our money as are many other aspects of the medical industry.

People say the government is ineffecient then how come my Health insurance keeps going up by amounts that tripple the rate of inflation?

Old 08-23-2009, 10:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,339,280 times
No, I would not willing to give up 50% of their income to pay for universal health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies