Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
rephrase that: some people don't like it.
I meant the powers that be that run the uni's.

Quote:
if i can find it again, i will link it.

ahem. either my wiki fu is broken, or i did not remember right.
wiki fu. lol that's funny.

Quote:
i can't find the article that i remember reading, so it is possible that it wasn't specifically about firearms carry in schools.

instead, here are two different articles, which kind of cover some of the details that i am trying to link you to, but now you have to dig to find 'em.
I'm not sure where the information we're looking for is, but those are a lot of shootings. It's sad.

Quote:
either way, the point is that there are colleges (and even some grade schools and high schools) where it is legal, and generally, no one is getting hurt. in fact, unless it is open carry, no one even knows that someone is carrying a weapon.
To start, if any high schools allow it, it's adults carrying, not the kids. This may sound bias, but kids carrying guns worries me. And to me, most 23 yr olds are just kids. I know the military has been mentioned in this thread, and yes, 18 yr olds have weaponary in the military, but they are well trained and supervised.

Quote:
this is in direct opposition to the claims made earlier by other posters, along the lines of all hell breaking loose and other hyperbolic nonsense.

aaron out.
It's hard to say what would happen if the practice was widely adopted. From what I have been reading, the ban was only lifted in 2006. I have to wonder how many even know about it. Either way, I just hope there are rigourous psych tests and background tests for all that purchase guns. Add credit checks, grades and job performance to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I meant the powers that be that run the uni's.

wiki fu. lol that's funny.

I'm not sure where the information we're looking for is, but those are a lot of shootings. It's sad.

To start, if any high schools allow it, it's adults carrying, not the kids. This may sound bias, but kids carrying guns worries me. And to me, most 23 yr olds are just kids. I know the military has been mentioned in this thread, and yes, 18 yr olds have weaponary in the military, but they are well trained and supervised.

It's hard to say what would happen if the practice was widely adopted. From what I have been reading, the ban was only lifted in 2006. I have to wonder how many even know about it. Either way, I just hope there are rigourous psych tests and background tests for all that purchase guns. Add credit checks, grades and job performance to that.
we've already clarified in this thread that it is adults. most states don't allow open or concealed carry until after adulthood (which doesn't come at 18). we're talking about men and women that are old enough to be done with college.

as far as high schools, etc, yes; it is the adults that have been given permission.

now, though i agree that kids should not be carrying guns to school, you mention that the idea that "kids carrying guns worries me."

by carry, do you mean open or concealed carry, as in having a permit, or do you mean using guns?

if you mean the former, that does not happen. if you mean the latter, there is nothing wrong with allowing kids to shoot while supervised by competent adults (though this is becoming more and more rare these days). in fact, it was my familiarity with guns from the time i was old enough to shoot that taught me to respect them and taught me not to ever, ever, ever point them at anyone unless it was a life and death matter.

can we say that about the most of the kids–or even some of the kids–that accidentally unload their dad's handgun into their little sister's head because they did not understand or respect them or the rules that come attached?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
That's because you live in South Carolina. The overwhelming majority of Americans do not want guns on campus. It is just an absurd and dangerous proposition.

Link to that poll, please.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Or, conversely, things like Virgina Tech could happen more often with a proliferation of guns on campus.
This is the perennial failure of understanding that often eminates from the Left. Unbelievable the amount of people who fail to understand that gun laws prevent LAW ABIDING CITIZENS from carrying firearms. The people who actually perpetrate the crimes are not obeying the law. In fact, the Virginia Tech shooting is case in point! The only person with a gun was the law-breaker!

I ask the Left, for the Love of God and all things Holy, to get it right for once on gun control! It's really not that hard to understand!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is the perennial failure of understanding that often eminates from the Left. Unbelievable the amount of people who fail to understand that gun laws prevent LAW ABIDING CITIZENS from carrying firearms. The people who actually perpetrate the crimes are not obeying the law. In fact, the Virginia Tech shooting is case in point! The only person with a gun was the law-breaker!

I ask the Left, for the Love of God and all things Holy, to get it right for once on gun control! It's really not that hard to understand!
Oddly enough it isn't actually illegal to carry in VA colleges, but VA Tech expelled anyone caught carrying, there was a big fight not long before the shooting over that when there was an attempt to change it, which they won, and made an announcement to the effect of that they were happy the campus would be safe now. Well, not quite true...that shooter didn't obey their no guns signs.

Several states don't prohibit carrying in colleges and universities but the colleges themselves strip people of the right.

What the antis hate hearing is examples like Appalachian School of Law where students who had guns in their vehicles stopped a shooter before he shot too many (he was intent on a massacre like VA Tech). Killers are not going to obey the no guns signs, only the law abiding will be disarmed and rendered defenseless. Killers target gun free zones more than any other places because they can do what they want largely unopposed.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
There was a story a while back about how two "students" overcame a shooter in a college. most of the press did not report that the 2 students were cops. When the incedent started, they went out to thier cars and got thier guns. (they were not allowed to have them in the school). They did not overcome the assailant, they pointed thier guns at him and gave him achoice. He decided to give up.

If they had been allowed to have thier guns on them, maybe they could have stopped some of the students from getting hurt.

Most colleges today have a very "liberal' mindset and don't like guns. If someone has a CC permit they have already passed a background investigation. The vast majority of people that get a CC permit heve great experience in guns.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 50,497 times
Most of the students I knew when at the university would be more likely to shoot their toe off than apprehend a criminal, including the criminal justice majors. Half the students would loose a gun within a week, the other half would be whipping their guns out at every opportunity to impress the ladies.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,731 times
Here's some solid facts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post

... ( Snip for brevity).....
... articles, which kind of cover some of the details that i am trying to link you to, but now you have to dig to find 'em.

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ates_(by_state)

either way, the point is that there are colleges (and even some grade schools and high schools) where it is legal, and generally, no one is getting hurt. in fact, unless it is open carry, no one even knows that someone is carrying a weapon.

this is in direct opposition to the claims made earlier by other posters, along the lines of all hell breaking loose and other hyperbolic nonsense.

aaron out.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM

442 posts, read 790,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
We don't want loons caring guns on campus!
There were such loons, and their names were Dylan Klebold, Eric Harris, Cho Seung-Hui...etc.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Most of the students I knew when at the university would be more likely to shoot their toe off than apprehend a criminal, including the criminal justice majors. Half the students would loose a gun within a week, the other half would be whipping their guns out at every opportunity to impress the ladies.

Than "most" should not be carrying. Are "most'"college students binge drink? Have wild parties? Do most fail? maybe we should ban all cars from campus. Not allow students over 21 to drink at all. if they fail a course, kick them out.

You miss the whole point. In order to geta CC permit you have to prove you are mature enough. Amongst other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies