Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,814,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That's why I don't call it a "boycott", as it's just a personal decision not to line the pockets of corporations who are actively working to defeat the Employee Free Choice Act, especially those who think people who aren't opposed to it "should be shot."
Gotcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I boycott the big commercial banks and only use credit unions.
I boycott foreign goods as much as I can.
I boycott big box stores and shop local when I can.

But, it's getting harder and harder to avoid foreign and big corporate chains as the mom and pops close up due to the economy and price wars with the big box.
The last line of that, isn't that the truth? If we had a bunch of mom and pop grocery stores where I live, best believe I would be shopping there.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:12 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,040,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Name up to 10 people, services or products you monetarily boycott and why. Let's leave politicians (campaign contributions) out of it because the list would be too long.
I've boycotted exxon since their refusal to clean up the valdez, ak oil spill and more recently their refusal to grant healthcare benefits to domestic partners of same sex employee couples, the only major oil co to do so.

I also boycott wal-mart, for their participation in the destruction of small family owned businesses.

I don't support certain businesses due to their publicized hostility to gay and/or minority rights. These include Cracker Barrel restaurants, Hobby Lobby, Cinemark theaters, the Mormons and any business owned by one (marriott hotels), Bolthouse carrots, manchester hyatt hotel in san diego, CA, the Catholic church, Randalls grocery stores (wouldn't hire mexican americans).

Also, United Health Group and AIG, corporate whores who take the gov'ts money and screws the customers.

I think that wise businesses should diversify themselves in this day and age and support as many as possible, not go out of their way to promote intolerance.

Last edited by wehotex; 08-23-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,600,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've boycotted exxon since their refusal to clean up the valdez, ak oil spill and more recently their refusal to grant healthcare benefits to domestic partners of same sex employee couples, the only major oil co to do so.

I also boycott wal-mart, for their participation in the destruction of small family owned businesses.

I don't support certain businesses due to their publicized hostility to gay and/or minority rights. These include Cracker Barrel restaurants, Hobby Lobby, Cinemark theaters, the Mormons and any business owned by one (marriott hotels), Bolthouse carrots, manchester hyatt hotel in san diego, CA, the Catholic church, Randalls grocery stores (wouldn't hire mexican americans).

I think that wise businesses should diversify themselves in this day and age and support as many as possible, not go out of their way to promote intolerance.
No, wise businesses should stay out of hot social and political issues. Taking a stand one way or another alienates a large segment of their customer base.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,582,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You have more options than a lot of people. A lot of times Wal-Mart has a monopoly and here in AR, trust me, they do.

If Target had everything Wal-Mart did, I'd gladly shop in there all the time.
If we had a locally owned grocery store that sold all the foods Wal-Mart did, I'd be in there too.
I used to say that myself. I no longer say it. I shop at K Mart for all my necessities that Wallyworld carries, K Mart is an American icon, I remember their "blue light specials" when I was a kid.

If Target doesnt have it, ask yourself who else does. If no one but Wal Mart has it, ask yourself if you really need it, and how to do without it.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:28 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,040,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, wise businesses should stay out of hot social and political issues. Taking a stand one way or another alienates a large segment of their customer base.
What I mean by that is a business should support ALL organizations in its community and not exclude due to prejudices. as an example, HEB, San Antonio's near-monopoly grocery store donates to ALL non-profit orgs incl gay/lesb ones. They were actually boycotted by a small number of RW fundies when they donated $300 (not $3000, 30,000) to a gay pride celebration here in SA. But conversely, I'm sure that they donate to religious orgs as well. They are responsible and do not exclude.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:33 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,459,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post

Forgot about that comment.... I shop at OSH anyway.
I love OSH. I spend a ton of money there.

OSH celebrates 75 years of serving the community

Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

I avoid Cracker Barrel like the plague. Thanks for alerting me to Hobby Lobby.

12,867 posts, read 14,946,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Was this written as a joke or are you serious?
do you think walmart ONLY sells chinese goods? don't you read labels when you shop?

are you in favor of the largest private employer in the united states shutting down and displacing all those workers when we already have a rising unemployment rate?

that is why people have free choice on where they choose to shop. i also shop at mom and pop stores as well.

10,757 posts, read 35,491,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Name up to 10 people, services or products you monetarily boycott and why. Let's leave politicians (campaign contributions) out of it because the list would be too long.
As an athiest, I don't do business with any company that has to advertise their religion along with their product.

I also will never do business with AIG given their performance earlier in the year.

I have seen businesses who treat minority customers badly, I don't return to these types of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies