Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
There may have been some illegal abortions but no where as many as the number of abortions that have been performed after Roe vs Wade.
Some? There were a lot of abortions happening prior to Roe v Wade. Many were done in hospitals on married women. The D&C was a very common procedure and pregnancy tests were not done beforehand. As for single women -- who, incidentally had very limited access to birth control which was pretty much available only to married women -- there were known abortionists who often had some medical training. Some were doctors, some were nurses, some just picked up the skill. And then there were the hacks, the ones who had little skill and few proper instrument. There were a lot of abortions happening prior to Roe v Wade. A lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
yes thats right. no say whatsoever.
That is heartless. An innocent life has to be sacrificed so a woman doesn't have to suffer the inconvenience of an unwanted pregnancy. Sad world we live in.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Some? There were a lot of abortions happening prior to Roe v Wade. Many were done in hospitals on married women. The D&C was a very common procedure and pregnancy tests were not done beforehand. As for single women -- who, incidentally had very limited access to birth control which was pretty much available only to married women -- there were known abortionists who often had some medical training. Some were doctors, some were nurses, some just picked up the skill. And then there were the hacks, the ones who had little skill and few proper instrument. There were a lot of abortions happening prior to Roe v Wade. A lot.
Was it the same number of abortions that are being performed today? I sincerely doubt that.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Ever since abortions became legal, abortions are viewed as nothing more than having a hangnail removed. By legalizing abortions, our nation has sent the message that abortions are acceptable means of birth control and that the life of the innocent baby is worthless. It sends the message that you can have all the fun you want without suffering any of the consequences for your actions.

I don't think this is true at all. I think the vast majority of women who undergo an abortion do so with great thought and a heavy heart. there will always be people who have values that are questionable. their sorry life is none of my business. on the other hand sometimes a well meaning person finds themselves in unexpected situation. they have the choice to choose what do do with their life. again not my business.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
oh please. you think everyone should think like you? use your moral code to go through their life? so many reasons why "thinking twice" about having sex is a simplistic way of looking at this issue.

Males who impregnate a female are legally responsible for the care of that child until adulthood. I'm sure you would agree that an acceptable standard of accountability is being appied to them. So if a female also copulates resulting in pregnancy, why would she not also be responsible for the exact same action that the male is?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
That is heartless. An innocent life has to be sacrificed so a woman doesn't have to suffer the inconvenience of an unwanted pregnancy. Sad world we live in.
lots and lots of very sad things in the world. a woman should have and they do have the right to govern their own bodies. no matter what "we" might think of her choice, it is hers to make

Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Ok, I'll give you one more shot at it.

You: Are you actually implying that illegal abortions weren't done outside a hospital setting prior to Roe v. Wade?

Me: All abortions are performed in hospitals post Roe V. Wade?

Hmm, got a link or should we simply assume NARAL's propaganda is accurate?

If you have a link fine. Otherwise, I wasn't asking you anyway.
I asked you a question because your posts are pretty much unintelligible and I needed clarification on what point you were trying to make. I have no idea what you are talking about with that link request or that comment about NARAL propaganda. I didn't understand your babble when I first saw it in response to what the other poster said, I don't understand it now and I have no intentions of finding some link to ......something. I asked a question trying to sort out what you were saying and rather than answer it, you asked a totally meaningless question of me. And then the snark.

That'll teach me to try to make sense of your posts. That won't happen again.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,717 times
Quote:
Ever since abortions became legal, abortions are viewed as nothing more than having a hangnail removed. By legalizing abortions, our nation has sent the message that abortions are acceptable means of birth control and that the life of the innocent baby is worthless. It sends the message that you can have all the fun you want without suffering any of the consequences for your actions.
I don't think that the legalization has reduced abortion to the level of a hangnail. I mean really.... that's just not so. And while I will admit that I think some have used abortion too much as a way out of a situation.. it is still their body and more work should be done to prevent the pregnancy in the first place.

I'm not sending any message except that one should know what options their are for preventing a pregnancy, that abstinence is the only way to know for sure you won't get pregnant and that if you do get pregnant, you do have options. Of which, one is adoption... and yes, the other abortion. But, before abortion, or adoption for that matter, counseling should be provided.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
I don't think this is true at all. I think the vast majority of women who undergo an abortion do so with great thought and a heavy heart. there will always be people who have values that are questionable. their sorry life is none of my business. on the other hand sometimes a well meaning person finds themselves in unexpected situation. they have the choice to choose what do do with their life. again not my business.

T4 existed because people felt ambivalent about it.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Males who impregnate a female are legally responsible for the care of that child until adulthood. I'm sure you would agree that an acceptable standard of accountability is being appied to them. So if a female also copulates resulting in pregnancy, why would she not also be responsible for the exact same action that the male is?
men are responsible after the baby is born and many men bail out on the responsibility. the woman is responsible and has the choice to govern her own body. many choose to terminate.

the reason why closing your legs is not an answer is that many people become pregnant while on birth control. they were doing everything possible to prevent getting pregnant end up pregnant. they should not have to have a baby if that was not their intention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies