Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times

Advertisements

Jamie Lee Curtis: Say

I especially appreciated this person's response (in the "Comments" that follow the piece):

"I watch and read and feel greatly frustrated for our American neighbors. Who thought a debate on health care could get so damn ugly. I wonder what has happened to the America that most want to live in somewhere along the way your moral compass has gone haywire.

I thought I was the only one feeling this way that health care is a moral issue until I watched Bill Moyers on Bill Maher's show last night. He said it is a moral issue and why is America the only industrialized nation without universal health care. Wall street, insurance companies, politicians when did greed start to top caring for your fellow man?.

I live with illness have for over 25 years and I wonder how my life would be if I did not live in a country that has made health care a right. It has kept me alive because an insurance company would turn me down in a minute. I know that because I lost my life insurance overnight suddenly I was un-insurable only in Canada that means life insurance. Yet this debate stirs many emotions in me because illness does not discriminate Sen Kennedy knew that .illness is not limited to the poor it also affects the rich and everyone in between.

I pray that your country finds it's moral compass and does the right thing for all Americans."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
who cares what yet another idiot in hollywood thinks? I don't!!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
who cares what yet another idiot in hollywood thinks? I don't!!
I don't care what the celebrity thinks. I do care what the response says.

And what it says is that Americans fighting health care are a bunch of greedy, hateful and/or ignorant babies, who think that the sky will fall if everyone has universal health coverage. It won't. It would be, in fact, an ENORMOUS relief and would be, in the end, no big deal on any level other than finally creating a humane health care system for the American people. Just like every single other industrialized nation in the world. The world stands by in stupefaction at Americans' fear and ignorance. The fact that 20% of the American public is so profoundly stupid, fearful and/or hateful that they actually believe the crap they hear on FOX television--via Hannity, Beck, et.al.--tells the world a lot about where this nation is headed.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

And what it says is that Americans fighting health care are a bunch of greedy, hateful and/or ignorant babies, who think that the sky will fall if everyone has universal health coverage. It won't. It would be, in fact, an ENORMOUS relief and would be, in the end, no big deal on any level other than finally creating a humane health care system for the American people. Just like every single other industrialized nation in the world. The world stands by in stupefaction at Americans' fear and ignorance. The fact that 20% of the American public is so profoundly stupid, fearful and/or hateful that they actually believe the crap they hear on FOX television--via Hannity, Beck, et.al.--tells the world a lot about where this nation is headed.
The issue isn't health care per se it is about the implementation. There simply is no reason to involve the government in health care to the extent the Democrats want. That road leads to ruin.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
The issue isn't health care per se it is about the implementation. There simply is no reason to involve the government in health care to the extent the Democrats want. That road leads to ruin.
We ARE in
"Ruin"....we arrived there quite awhile ago!

Just because YOU personally have no health care problems does NOT mean there aren't any!

I have asked others and I'll ask you :

Who or what will make affordble , quality health care available to all Americans besides the government?

If you have found this powerful entity WHERE IS IT AND WHY ISN'T it DOING ANYTHING!?

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 08-30-2009 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 06:52 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:

It is hate filled rant like yours that will make any compromise impossible. There are plenty of reasons to not want socialized medicine but as long as there are intolerant folks screaming at the top of their lungs there will be no way for them to hear much less understand the other side. [MOD CUT/personal attack]

Old 08-30-2009, 07:02 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Can't afford it so we're not getting it. No Obamacare, Hillarycare, Kennedycare, whatever.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is hate filled rant like yours that will make any compromise impossible. There are plenty of reasons to not want socialized medicine but as long as there are intolerant folks screaming at the top of their lungs there will be no way for them to hear much less understand the other side. [MOD CUT/personal attack]
[MOD CUT]. But if there were all these reasons you say there are for opposing health care reform, I would think they would simply have become part of a civil debate over what can be done to repair the current system -- one that we know will lead to ruin if we just ignore it.

But that's not the path that opponents have taken. They've resorted to lies. They've resorted to insult. They've resorted to incivility. The very tactics you have chosen to press these views say a great deal about the underlying quality of the views themselves. They say that even YOU do not trust them to stand on their own. They say that even YOU understand that these views are inherently weak. Why do you continue to stand behind beliefs that you yourselves have so little faith in...

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-30-2009 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: unnecessary comment of deleted content

Old 08-30-2009, 07:26 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Can't afford it so we're not getting it. No Obamacare, Hillarycare, Kennedycare, whatever.
So you would immediately support the sort of proposals laid out so far if it were shown that we could indeed afford them after all?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:27 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Jamie Lee Curtis: Say

I especially appreciated this person's response (in the "Comments" that follow the piece):

"I watch and read and feel greatly frustrated for our American neighbors. Who thought a debate on health care could get so damn ugly. I wonder what has happened to the America that most want to live in somewhere along the way your moral compass has gone haywire.

I thought I was the only one feeling this way that health care is a moral issue until I watched Bill Moyers on Bill Maher's show last night. He said it is a moral issue and why is America the only industrialized nation without universal health care. Wall street, insurance companies, politicians when did greed start to top caring for your fellow man?.

I live with illness have for over 25 years and I wonder how my life would be if I did not live in a country that has made health care a right. It has kept me alive because an insurance company would turn me down in a minute. I know that because I lost my life insurance overnight suddenly I was un-insurable only in Canada that means life insurance. Yet this debate stirs many emotions in me because illness does not discriminate Sen Kennedy knew that .illness is not limited to the poor it also affects the rich and everyone in between.

I pray that your country finds it's moral compass and does the right thing for all Americans."

An actor? Who cares!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies