Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,399,092 times

Advertisements

Rules for this debate: No Trolls, No Off Topic, No Nasty Remarks, No Religious Tract, No Racist Remarks - ALL will be removed. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE RULES DO NOT COMMENT.

City-Data Forum has some very intelligent posters, that can make a point without snide remarks. There is a deep political divide in our country between the North and the South, and between the parties. Quite frankly, I am sick of the name calling and general lack of respect among members for each others opinion.

Why can't the Democrats and Republicans agree? During the Senate debate on the Compromise of 1850, Sam Houston proclaimed, "A nation divided against itself cannot stand". And that folks is exactly where we are. The political parties cannot agree on the time of day let alone on an important decision that will affect the lives of Americans for years to come.

Why can't we agree?

Last edited by linicx; 09-05-2009 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 10:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,609,949 times
I think we can't agree for the simple reason that each party has different ideals. I also think it's because even if there may be at least one common goal, the way to achieve that is conflicting. I know some republicans, I even have many in my family. As long as the talk doesn't turn to politics, everythings peachy. But once that political talk begins, it turns ugly. It's just the way it is, at least in my life. With my brother & w/people I don't know well, I choose not to bring up politics, I just don't want it to end up badly.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:41 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,979,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
[b] There is a deep divide in our country between the North and the South, and between the political parties.

Why can't we agree?
Well, to start with, I don't agree that there is a "deep divide in our country between the North and the South". Can you explain?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,973,078 times
I believe it is because of a deep misunderstanding of the other side. I am for freedom, personal responsibility, independence, and the constitution. I feel like many rights have been taken throughout the past couple of centuries, and that the American expiriment of liberty is severely threatened. I feel I can make the best choices for myself, and any government interference with that is unconstitutional. And I am as serious about it as Jefferson.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:45 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,712,724 times
i dont think there is a divide between north and south i think that the difference between gop and demo is misunderstood. this comes up alot on CDF, we are much more alike than we think.
lots of conservative demos and lota liberal GOP.
the real issues are war and the economy.its about the money. we are no longer making and consuming our own products. big mistake.
huge differences in opinion on these issues, you got some monster special interests pulling the strings in this arena. DOD is huge. AMA is another. catholic church another. OPEC another, Israel another. NAACP and womens lib are minor players by comparison.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:46 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,399,092 times
Default I'll fix that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Well, to start with, I don't agree that there is a "deep divide in our country between the North and the South". Can you explain?
I should have said political divide

Old 09-05-2009, 10:46 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,674,282 times
I believe we can't agree because we as a whole have bought into the notion of 'us' vs 'them' - the whole red v blue scam that has been sold so successfully to the people of this country.

It no longer is acceptable to admit that perhaps 'your guy' made a mistake as to do so is to invite criticism or worse still fodder for the next election cycle. Damn it make me so angry how people have willingly blinded themselves to the truth of their leaders and their parties just so that they can have bragging rights that their side won or will win or whatever moral highground they think they may have. The truth is that we as a nation are hobbled by this - we are crippled by the allegiance to party versus the allegiance to country. And our leaders know this and fan the partisan flames so that they may continue unhindered with business as usual. And we allow it and foster it and condone it and in everyway we are complicite in our own destruction. We are the cheated on spouse who looks away for the sake of their children, we are the battered spouse who excuses the excesses of her husband as our fault, we are standing at the abyss with change sign in one hand a you betcha sign in the other and we just do not see it.

Yes, I am mad as hell that we are being used and are too stuborn to admit it much less change it.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,973,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I believe we can't agree because we as a whole have bought into the notion of 'us' vs 'them' - the whole red v blue scam that has been sold so successfully to the people of this country.

It no longer is acceptable to admit that perhaps 'your guy' made a mistake as to do so is to invite criticism or worse still fodder for the next election cycle. Damn it make me so angry how people have willingly blinded themselves to the truth of their leaders and their parties just so that they can have bragging rights that their side won or will win or whatever moral highground they think they may have. The truth is that we as a nation are hobbled by this - we are crippled by the allegiance to party versus the allegiance to country. And our leaders know this and fan the partisan flames so that they may continue unhindered with business as usual. And we allow it and foster it and condone it and in everyway we are complicite in our own destruction. We are the cheated on spouse who looks away for the sake of their children, we are the battered spouse who excuses the excesses of her husband as our fault, we are standing at the abyss with change sign in one hand a you betcha sign in the other and we just do not see it.

Yes, I am mad as hell that we are being used and are too stuborn to admit it much less change it.
Yes! Politics has become one big media circus European soccer match.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:51 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,295,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I think we can't agree for the simple reason that each party has different ideals. I also think it's because even if there may be at least one common goal, the way to achieve that is conflicting. I know some republicans, I even have many in my family. As long as the talk doesn't turn to politics, everythings peachy. But once that political talk begins, it turns ugly. It's just the way it is, at least in my life. With my brother & w/people I don't know well, I choose not to bring up politics, I just don't want it to end up badly.

Different Ideals? Seriously? How?

1. They both agree on increasing the size of government
2. They both agree on limiting the rights of citizens
3. They both agree on violating the constitution
4. They both agree on supporting various lobbying groups

So they disagree on minor things that really don't affect the idiots that make noise about the following issues

1. Race Issues (differ on diversity etc)
2. Division between the Middle Class
3. Marriage between same sex individuals
4. Woman's right to choose
5. Drug laws (4 and 5 all tie into attacks on personal freedom, which both go along with 2 i listed above)

The only place i can see these two parties differ are on things that really don't freaking matter AT ALL. When you take into account the things they both actually agree upon it vastly out-weights the limited bs they don't agree upon!!! So the statement you make while slightly accurate is still complete BS!

Problem with the American public is they cannot ever hold the government accountable, because they never stop begging for handouts and they're to stupid (especially in the south) to realize, that citizens are the reason we are currently in the mess we are in!!! Until they "man up" and face the facts that they/we are the problem it will never change. As far as i'm concerned all these wanna be new small government people that say they have "awoken a sleeping giant" can shove it up there stupid uneducated pie holes, they make true small government people like me sick. In fact they cause me to examine my own small government beliefs and wonder if they can ever truly apply to the beast we've created!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:54 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,451,488 times
I agree that people should be able to disagree in a respectful manner. After several infractions I think I have learned not to respond in like manner. I think it is important for people to realize that people cannot accurately gauge a person's character based on the written word. We are all strangers to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies