Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Smoking bans are spreading from planes, trains and buses to another mode of transit: rental cars.

Beginning Oct. 1, Avis and Budget will become the first major rental-car companies to ban smoking in their entire North American fleets and to impose a cleaning fee of up to $250 on customers who smoke in the cars.

Budget, Avis Ban Smoking in Cars - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
I guess they don't want my money... that's fine.

It's a shame about Budget, though - they had pretty good rates.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
I think every car I've ever rented was non-smoking. Course, I still smoked in them.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
As an Ex smoker and I dont agree with this. I understand some just does not want to be in a car that smells like smoke. But how about having a couple cars for smokers.

Smoking is a legal product

How many drink and drive in their cars?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Smoking bans are spreading from planes, trains and buses to another mode of transit: rental cars.

Beginning Oct. 1, Avis and Budget will become the first major rental-car companies to ban smoking in their entire North American fleets and to impose a cleaning fee of up to $250 on customers who smoke in the cars.

Budget, Avis Ban Smoking in Cars - ABC News
Private companies, so they can do as they wish.

I predict they will reverse this when their rental numbers begin to fall.

Or perhaps offer smoking/non-smoking.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 PM

24 posts, read 77,237 times
This is nothing really new. Budget and Hertz have been offering Non-Smoking rentals as an option for years. At least as far back as 2002. I know because in 2002 and 2003 I did a lot of air travelling and rental cars from both of those companies and I was always able to get a No-Smoking-Designated car. And if I was given one that clearly smelled of smoke (which did happen twice) I immediately went back to the desk and not only did I get a non-smoked-in one, they gave me an upgrade both times.

Auto dealer service departments have also made their loaner cars Non-Smoking (at least in my area) for the past year or two. In fact the dealership that I go to has incorporated a fine into their loaner agreeement (which the customer must sign before getting the car) that if the car is returned with any evidence of smoking, the customer agrees to pay a $299 fee for a complete detailing.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Nothing like being all dressed up for an important client meeting and getting in a stinking nasty smoked fill car.

This is a good thing, I not only want to smell like a stinking cig but I do not want to breathe the stuff either.

No habit any nastier then smoking and us non smokers having to smell like them and breathe their bad habits in.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:16 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
They're not banning smoking in YOUR car. They're banning it in THEIR car.

This is about someone protecting their business assets from smelling like a chimney and getting cigarette burns in the seats.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
We already rent nonsmoking cars, due to the ugly stench and my asthma. So far, I have never had one smell like smoke, but I would complain if I did.

I'm not sure what I think about the ban. On the one hand, I think it's easier to rent a car that doesn't smell like an ashtray, and the likelihood of burn holes in the upholstery is certainly greatly reduced. On the other hand, if people want to smoke themselves to death and smell disgusting, that's up to them, so maybe the rental companies should offer smoking cars.

I do agree with the charge for cleaning a nonsmoking car, though. If you sign an agreement and then violate it, you are liable for the consequences.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I guess they don't want my money... that's fine.

It's a shame about Budget, though - they had pretty good rates.

Considering there are many more non smokers VS smokers I seriously doubt your threats to boycott their cars will work. I will be using Budget and Avis all the time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies