Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, you asked so I answered. If you didn't care, then why did you ask?

I have yet to see an intelligent response from you to any of my posts or any others. You seem to dwell in a realm of emotion and one-line childish insults rather than reasoned, intelligent debate.

So, having given you ample opportunity to prove your case that racism is not the motivating factor of these protests, you have instead only reinforced my position.

I bid you a fond farewell and wish you well in your journey to enlightenment.
Whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 12:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Williams is a jerk, James Carville got a few good digs in at him and the protesters as a whole as well...
Read the article; watched the video. Carville is still full of

Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
You're going to give yourself a headache if you keep smacking your forehead. You should use your head for something better, like thinking, in the future.

....and to charlotte's assertion that most Americans are the "same", I can only feel pity that you. I could give you ample statistical evidence to refute your claim, but there is a deeper philosophical issue at stake. In what way are they the same? Do all white people think the same? Do all Christians share the same values? The sign of a strong Democracy is not in how its majority is treated, but rather in how its minority is.

Your statement is both confusing and scary, as it once again reinforces my increasing belief that racism and fear of people who look and think differently are at the root of these protests.

God bless.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
I never said everyone of anything. The majority of people involved in this movement are white, Christian, and living in suburban and rural areas. That is simply a fact of demographics and politics (just like most liberal protests are filled with urban people from various races and young people who hold onto their idealism).

Btw - I've lived in rural areas and find it offensive that you use the phrase "country bumpkin" to describe individuals living there. You should spend some time before judging. A lot of enlightened, brilliant people you're dismissing with that phrase.
Oh give me a break how many times have democrats called people in the south ignorant and rednecks. I dont see the outrage over those post

Old 09-15-2009, 12:31 PM

That CNN reporter should be fired. That was horrible.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:31 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,506 times
Quote:
If you understand the most basic premise of American politics, you know that electorates break down along pretty predictable lines.

Urban people either realized long ago the necessity of regulation and support when millions of individuals are living in close proximity or they exist in an oppressed minority.

Rural and suburban people tend to have established foundations of financial and familial support without any need for interaction with others, so they tend to fight to protect the resources that are theirs.

When protests emerge, you tend to get an element from either end of the political spectrum that takes these general geographic/ideological political values and exacerbates them.

In this case, it is a predominantly suburban / rural, white base, as evidenced by the individuals interviewed and the signs they displayed, as well as news accounts that estimated the crowd to be almost entirely white. However, NPR did find one black woman to interview who claimed that she would be outraged no matter the color of the president's skin. So, again, we're not talking about "everyone" - simply the majority.
Bluefly...you are a VERY patient person. Kudos to you for resisting the temptation to get sarcastic. I don't think I could have done it.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Oh give me a break how many times have democrats called people in the south ignorant and rednecks. I dont see the outrage over those post
There most certainly has been outrage expressed over those characterizations. I myself have frequently expressed outrage.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
What posts? I've always called people out on ignorant statements across the political spectrum.

And, for the record, Southerners were predominantly Demcrats until LBJ signed the civil rights legislations and predicted that his party would lose the South for at least 40 years the minute he put pen to paper. So, it's dangerous to attach to political parties.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
That CNN reporter should be fired. That was horrible.

They let her contract expire about two months ago.

CNN has a track record of anti-Tea Party reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies