U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 13,070,781 times
Reputation: 3536

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
First of all, not all conservatives profess a christian point of view. I don't attend church, but am very conservative.

Concerning ethics and morals, did you know that conservatives give to charity far more often than liberals? They actually practice what they preach, instead of only talking about what's moral and ethical.

I'm thinking that if there was more money in the average citizens' pocket, conservatives would give money to help the less fortunate with regards to health care.
Can we see the number of people labeled conservatives vs those who label themselves liberal?

In any case, I know a lot of liberals who donate their time rather than their money. Sometimes throwing money at the problem isn't the best thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2009, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
30,265 posts, read 27,704,277 times
Reputation: 81053
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You sound a bit mixed up, makes one wonder how well you understand what Christ taught. I, as a Christian Conservative, would be fine if the insurance companies were no longer needed and therefore out of business. If the market were aloud to work like it could and should, Insurance companies would not be in the position they are now. when you have fewer options those few options become very wealthy, if you dont like that, then you need to create an atmosphere with more options. Has nothing to do with ones Christian views, although I understand you cant pass up the opportunity for a little bigotry in the process.............
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
First of all, not all conservatives profess a christian point of view. I don't attend church, but am very conservative.

Concerning ethics and morals, did you know that conservatives give to charity far more often than liberals? They actually practice what they preach, instead of only talking about what's moral and ethical.

I'm thinking that if there was more money in the average citizens' pocket, conservatives would give money to help the less fortunate with regards to health care.
I guess the republican conservative rightwing with their religious base of evangelicals is correct in opposing a national healthcare option for their fellow citizens family, friends and neighbors from what you say. However what would Jesus say and do with a healthcare bill by the government? My guess again is that the corporate ceo’s wouldn’t be making all that money under His thoughts and ideas of faith morals and ethics.

Manufacturing Corporations moved offshore to avoid government control over the past three decades maybe the insurance corporations will soon follow so the government can’t or won’t control their profits and lack of services? Funny how none of the conservative right leaders have spoken out about this issue of greed? Also I don't hear too many religious leaders talking about the issue either. Greed is good and if you can make a buck off of someones illness or death then ,,,, it's business as usual.

Is Jesus a Liberal? must be!

Last edited by AksarbeN; 09-20-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 PM
 
4,089 posts, read 4,706,720 times
Reputation: 1251
You people are so ignorant and jaded by partisan politics you can't see the forest for the trees. Simple ecomomics dictates that health insurance will not cost more than the market can bear. It will never cost 70% of salary. Insurance companies are in business to make money. Take a look at the elasticity of health care. They know that if it is too expensive nobody would buy it. The Arabs found out that American's will only pay so much for oil last summer before they change their habits and consume less. Healthcare is just another commodity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
30,265 posts, read 27,704,277 times
Reputation: 81053
Looking at healthcare as a commodity is nice ~ itís like looking at a car, house, food, and most any personal needed thing as a commodity. However my neighbors, family, friends and all cut back on those commodities. They donít need two cars, or newer ones. They donít need a big house or buy groceries in bulk. They can cut back on those commodities.

However I donít know of some who can cut back on their needed medical attention; well unless you just want them to buy a cemetery plot instead of paying for the needed health care. Thatís one way to cut back on needed health services for many of the Americans isnít it?

They donít have to buy any of those commodities and make a ceo grossly wealthy however it seems that people need to have the necessary medical care to live, unless it would be wiser to go without.

And speaking of those Arabs,,,,, they have some of the worlds best health care and rank much much higher on the WHO health chart then the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
30,265 posts, read 27,704,277 times
Reputation: 81053
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post


McGuire's payday is a shame, if not a crime | StarTribune.com

yeah,,,, Bill McGuire had ďoptionsĒ that valued $1.6 billion, sorry thatís not his annual salary just options.



Stephen J. Hemsley Profile - Forbes.com

Stephen Hemsley ,,, yeah Hemsley also has some options above his annual salary.
Options:
Value of unexercised options currently exercisable $662,546,318.00
Value of unexercised options currently unexercised $81,685,750.00

Back on topic,,,, are there any other CEOs that are paid MORE then these guys in the health care industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 PM
 
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona
300 posts, read 375,725 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Back on topic,,,, are there any other CEOs that are paid MORE then these guys in the health care industry?
I believe there are / were some in the Financial industry that exceeded those incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,834 posts, read 41,892,438 times
Reputation: 43206
Forbes.com: Forbes 400 Richest in America 2002 (http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/54/2002/LIR.jhtml?passListId=54&passYear=2002&passListType =Person&uniqueId=C3YW&datatype=Person - broken link)

Michael Eisner: Biography from Answers.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
30,265 posts, read 27,704,277 times
Reputation: 81053
Default moneychangers ~ they keep 30% or more

How much should a ceo of an insurance company make? First let’s go over what the insurance company does. They take 100% of the premiums from their customers. They hold the money for a short while and wait until someone is ill and requires medical attention. The company spends time and money rejecting claims, discontinuing medical services for some reason or another and simply very little of the money gets paid out to the doctors and medical people. However 30% of it stays with the insurance company to pay the board of directors and ceo.

Insurance companies are moneychangers. They take from the customer, give little or nothing back, and pay out as little as possible to the medical field and they hold the rest for themselves.

The coe plays a big part of the operation. He sends an email to the upper management to hold down the costs and they decide to reject claims, delay payments to doctors and thus keep more of the money for themselves. The ceo is an important part of this moneychanger company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 AM
 
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona
300 posts, read 375,725 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
How much should a ceo of an insurance company make? First letís go over what the insurance company does. They take 100% of the premiums from their customers. They hold the money for a short while and wait until someone is ill and requires medical attention. The company spends time and money rejecting claims, discontinuing medical services for some reason or another and simply very little of the money gets paid out to the doctors and medical people. However 30% of it stays with the insurance company to pay the board of directors and ceo.

Insurance companies are moneychangers. They take from the customer, give little or nothing back, and pay out as little as possible to the medical field and they hold the rest for themselves.

The coe plays a big part of the operation. He sends an email to the upper management to hold down the costs and they decide to reject claims, delay payments to doctors and thus keep more of the money for themselves. The ceo is an important part of this moneychanger company.
I have to be really honest here: Your post above, if it is a summation as to how you feel, shows, clearly, you do not understand the concept of, or what it takes, to operate a business - of ANY kind, least of all, and insurance company.

Please, don't be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 AM
 
21,044 posts, read 19,512,504 times
Reputation: 5930
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
How much should a ceo of an insurance company make? First letís go over what the insurance company does. They take 100% of the premiums from their customers. They hold the money for a short while and wait until someone is ill and requires medical attention. The company spends time and money rejecting claims, discontinuing medical services for some reason or another and simply very little of the money gets paid out to the doctors and medical people. However 30% of it stays with the insurance company to pay the board of directors and ceo.

Insurance companies are moneychangers. They take from the customer, give little or nothing back, and pay out as little as possible to the medical field and they hold the rest for themselves.

The coe plays a big part of the operation. He sends an email to the upper management to hold down the costs and they decide to reject claims, delay payments to doctors and thus keep more of the money for themselves. The ceo is an important part of this moneychanger company.

Perfect summation of what insurance companies do....if a store did that it would be called bait and switch..
They are not for health, they are for profit at any cost. Which is why we need UHC, a for HEALTH CARE system.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
I have to be really honest here: Your post above, if it is a summation as to how you feel, shows, clearly, you do not understand the concept of, or what it takes, to operate a business - of ANY kind, least of all, and insurance company.

Please, don't be offended.
The only offense is yours...knocking what someone else posts with no ideas of your own, no reason why...just to knock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top