Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:49 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ehh. There are lots of jobs you can't do based on your look and it's not all "discrimination". Looks matters in fashion for example, which is what A&F is all about. Don't apply for a job you can't do for personal reasons, or try to work at a job you can't do for physical reasons, then yell "discrimination". That just weakens the whole idea of discrimination. Personally I think there was a lawsuit behind her choice to apply to A&F from the get go. I say hire her and put her in the stockroom and see how long she lasts, that should tell you whether she really wanted a job or a platform.
I totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Maybe she's doing a project on discrimination? Who knows. Your other examples are not examples of discrimination. For instance, if you can't pass the physical exam for firefighter, you will not be hired. That's a no-brainer. If you can't perform a job for personal reasons, like you have to leave early every day because of your kids & your co-workers have to pick up the slack, then you shouldn't be at that job. But to not hire someone based purely on their looks, or head dress, yes that is discrimination.
What if she came into that store to apply dressed like a slob and had hygiene issues instead? Is the employer obligated to hire her even though she was not dressed appropriately?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:02 PM

491 posts, read 749,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ehh. There are lots of jobs you can't do based on your look and it's not all "discrimination". Looks matters in fashion for example, which is what A&F is all about. Don't apply for a job you can't do for personal reasons, or try to work at a job you can't do for physical reasons, then yell "discrimination". That just weakens the whole idea of discrimination. Personally I think there was a lawsuit behind her choice to apply to A&F from the get go. I say hire her and put her in the stockroom and see how long she lasts, that should tell you whether she really wanted a job or a platform.
Looks are subjective though and I really doubt how the employees look at a store break or make how many clothes the store sells. Not hiring someone because how they look is just as bad as not hiring someone because they are a certain race. It seems the store is run by very shallow people

Old 09-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Looks are subjective though and I really doubt how the employees look at a store break or make how many clothes the store sells. Not hiring someone because how they look is just as bad as not hiring someone because they are a certain race. It seems the store is run by very shallow people
If you were a fashion retailer, would you be likely to hire someone who was dressed like a slob with stains all over their tee shirt and ripped jeans?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Appearance is a critical part of any customer service job. My banking job obviously won't hire anyone who wont wear a suit or at least a shirt and tie or their shirt with their logo. If you aren't willing to conform to a dress code, implied or actual, you don't get the job.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Actually if it was documented in her file for refusing to do the jobs as decribed when hired, she could have been let go without violating itle VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

It states that reasonable accommodations must be made to accommodate religous beliefs. It certainly does not sound like she was able to perform the duties she was hired for.
We thought about that, but technically other people could do those things and it was in everyone's job description. As long as she could do the basic stuff (i.e. ringing customers up, cleaning the lounge etc.) then we couldn't fire her. Trust me, we looked into it...she was a very irritating person. Our regional office told us that everything she demanded was a 'reasonable accomodation'.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:23 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,633,129 times
Looks as far as sloppy or dirty is one thing.

It is something else entirely if by looks you are referring to race, gender, religon or sexual orientation.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Saying that AF is discrimintory because they taregt a segment of the market is like saying BET is racist. It is just marketing;pure and simple. She can be not hired by any company that requires ceertain dress as part of it also.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:28 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,633,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Saying that AF is discrimintory because they taregt a segment of the market is like saying BET is racist. It is just marketing;pure and simple. She can be not hired by any company that requires ceertain dress as part of it also.
I'm not saying that AF is racist, but your argument is flawed.

If BET refused to hire a Asian or White person it would be discrimination and they should be held accountable. AF can not say that I will not hire a Black or Muslim person beceusae they do not fit into our marketing. That is discrimination and it is illegal. If she could not comply with the dress code, that is one issue. But based on her "look". Not if her look is related to race, religon, gender or sexual orientation.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:29 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
Another thing to consider - is A&F being discriminatory to muslims? Or would they have not hired an Amish - lite girl? (apoligies to this sect, I can't remember their name but they dress very similiarly to the Amish with the women wearing white lace caps and long sleeves and skirts yet they use motorized vehicles and go out in public). I don't think they would hire anyone who has a religious dress code that would not correspond to the A&F look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies