Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Am I out of touch here? Where the hell do you pay $1200 for eyeglasses?
I was wondering the samething. I have a friend that got glasses and it cost a total of 300.00 for exam and glasses ( no insurance coverage)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,014,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
So if cost is an issue, what is the complaint here? Buy contacts or buy generic frames. What exactly is the problem? The people that need special lenses?
Im nt arguing one way or the other.

Besides..not sure what glasses have to do with health care. Eye exams and glasses are not that expensive..and most often times is not even a covered item in health care .. usually supplemental is purchased to cover both dental and eye exams.. not really sure where this conversation is going with regards to health care and reform.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I checked the link.......

The home health care industry (which is what and who?), not the health insurance industry.

try again.
Industry Center - Health Care Plans

Where exactly are you seeing HOME health care?

Under related industries? Did you look at top industries?

Try again.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:27 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
If health insurers weren't "greedy," why would a practice like "rescission" even exist? Seems like the height of craven greed to me.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Evidently you don't read your own post? That's a stock ticker you just posted today see: Trade Time:11:01am ET. Do you know anything about stocks? Anything?
Evidently, you can't even comprehend what you are reading.

It lists statistics within the industry, including this:

Quote:
Industry Statistics
Market Capitalization: 99B
Price / Earnings: 9.6
Price / Book: 8.4
Net Profit Margin (mrq): 3.3%
Price To Free Cash Flow (mrq): 30.3
Return on Equity: 13.0%
Total Debt / Equity: 0.0
Dividend Yield: 0.1%

Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
first, the presidents plan doesnt cover eyeglasses.

second the cost of eyeglasses have nothing what so ever to do with Insurance companies.
Apparently, under obamacare all treatment will be free.

He'll pay for everything.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Anyone really believe these numbers? I do not.
Hello? Of course you don't believe it - it it world's away from what obama claims, isn't it?

These are statistics in the aggregate, as a whole of the industry, from Yahoo Finance.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
(and i will stick with yahoo finance, since that is what the op manipulated)
How did I manipulate - by posting it straight from the Yahoo Finance page? I understand where your resistance comes from - a deep seated need to believe obama when he says the Health Care insurers are greedy profiteers. His rhetoric doesn't match the FACTS, however.

Quote:
Many companies take any write-offs Q3 to set up for a great Q4 since CEO bonus's are at end of year totals.
Should we just take your word for this?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
When a pair of eyeglasses costs $1200
Were they plated in gold?

Care to explain how it could cost so much?

Sounds like an embellishment/exaggeration to me.

Quote:
At least point at the right industry:
Accident & Health Insurance Overview: Industry Center - Yahoo! Finance
(and i will stick with yahoo finance, since that is what the op manipulated)
Oh-oh; Looky here;

Net Profit Margin (mrq): 3.9%

Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,014,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Thinking that insurance companies are somehow special is foolish. The largest health insurance company is UnitedHealth Group which is so far down the list of profitable companies as to be laughable (45th). This monster company earns not even 1/20 of most of the top companies.

their "profit margins" may be "low" ..at about 3% or so..

BUT.. what you need to look out is their other expenditures that they put out BEFORE they reach that "profit"..

ANd.. in order to put out those expenditures.. PLUS show a profit to their shareholders..how many people had to be denied coverage or thrown out on a technicality (like forgetting to put a yeast infection on their medical application 10 years before) in order for them to meet that profit margine AFTER their ridiculous expenditures.. like corporate jets and $124M/year compensatino packages to ONE executive..or moeny spent to defeate health care reform at a tick of $700K a DAY!! ( i can't find the article I read about that a few days ago. If I do I will post it).

Here are two from this article:Mad About Medicine: CEO Compensation: Who Said Health Care is in a Financial Crisis?

Quote:
United Health Group
CEO: William W McGuire
2005: 124.8 mil
5-year: 342 mil

Aetna
CEO: John Rowe
2005: 22.1 mil
5-year:57.8 mil
A Sample of Health Insurance CEO Compensation - Democratic Underground

I wonder how much they spend in other crap too. They sacrafice lives for overbloated salaries .. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies