Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Where the heck do you buy your glasses?
To argue along the lines is missing the forest for trees. Do you disagree with the idea that health care costs in this country is getting out of control? And that we overspend? No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
We have an Optical Dispensing company, Aspen Optical, in my region where it is common to find frames costing 800 / 900 or more - and then the lenses, with the "options" - I can easily see glasses costing $1,000 +

We have a Mercedes dealer near me also. They have cars with options that can easily cost $100,000 dollars. Of course we also have a Hyundai dealership also.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:24 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
We have a Mercedes dealer near me also. They have cars with options that can easily cost $100,000 dollars. Of course we also have a Hyundai dealership also.
You should blame State Farm for those expensive options on those cars!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
We have an Optical Dispensing company, Aspen Optical, in my region where it is common to find frames costing 800 / 900 or more - and then the lenses, with the "options" - I can easily see glasses costing $1,000 +
Quote:
I agree with you - don't buy things you cannot afford.

But, assuming you can afford them - while I might not "need" those frames, I like them and want them. Again, assume I CAN afford them.

There is nothing wrong then in my buying them.

Do you agree????
Spend your dollar on whatever makes you happy.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yep they will get you. I do medical billing and coding on the side and the stuff I see makes my stomach turn. A surgeon can perform a surgery for 45 minutes and they will charge you for two hours ( room time). same with doctors offices, they see you for 15, they charge an hour (visit fee), even if you are just waiting.

Nonsense. Doctors are paid per examination or patient visit. They don't charge by the hour. Some patients take 15 minutes and some an hour. Don't spread false information.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Nonsense. Doctors are paid per examination or patient visit. They don't charge by the hour. Some patients take 15 minutes and some an hour. Don't spread false information.
UMM yea that's why I said patient visit, learn to read. I see the before bills, not listed on yours. An office visit is their standard, and they do charge for more time. One patient can be 5 minutes and another can be 1 hour, same cost ( which to me is not fair at all), go over that even by 10 minutes and they find another charge or add another hour. I see the files. And YES hospitals charge a surgery room fee.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Am I out of touch here? Where the hell do you pay $1200 for eyeglasses?
Eyeglasses can cause that much.

Due to my eyes being damaged from the bright lights on my job, my eye doctor required that a get a pair of transitional bifocals totaling $1325, in which I had to pay $250 out of my pocket.
Also, I have Cigna Healthcare Insurance.

I think that doctor's today are taking advantage of patients to whom they think are covered by to insurance companies.
I hope that Obama puts an end to these health care providers robbing both patients & insurance companies.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
UMM yea that's why I said patient visit, learn to read. I see the before bills, not listed on yours. An office visit is their standard, and they do charge for more time. One patient can be 5 minutes and another can be 1 hour, same cost ( which to me is not fair at all), go over that even by 10 minutes and they find another charge or add another hour. I see the files. And YES hospitals charge a surgery room fee.

No. You stated "they charge you an hour (visit fee) even if they only see you for 15 minutes.". Your attempt was to illustrate that they were somehow overbilling or overcharging. If it was not then why did you make reference to a unit of measure (time) that is not part of the billing process? The operating room is the same. A standard unit of measure. Maybe we should have the government take over car mechanics and plumbers next. They both charge based on standard cost. Ever had a plumber charge you for just ten minutes or do they charge you for the whole hour? Fail again.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Due to my eyes being damaged from the bright lights on my job, my eye doctor required that a get a pair of transitional bifocals totaling $1325, in which I had to pay $250 out of my pocket.
Wow! You poor thing - you actually had to PAY out of your OWN pocket for something that will be a tremendous benefit...TO YOU.

So, you think you should just get these glasses for free?

I'd say 20% of the cost is a friggin deal.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:25 PM

I just realized the government could overhaul the plumbing system and fight crack at the same time. Go big Blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies