Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Visvaldis -
if you were not careful the glasses could have been clouded by minute scratches from wiping them dry or a very dusty environment. Or, worse, like what happened to me, you own internal lenses could have become clouded with cataracts. Fortunately both can be cured.

PS the $1200 glasses may have had small diamonds in the frame holding the $50 lenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Don't jubilate yet! My prescription glasses (at Dr Bizers) cost me $183. In less than two years the lenses became cloudy. Looking through them everything appears as if in a thick fog. $183 for nothing.
and this is the fault of Healthcare Insurance companies because....???...????

Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Visvaldis -
if you were not careful the glasses could have been clouded by minute scratches from wiping them dry or a very dusty environment. Or, worse, like what happened to me, you own internal lenses could have become clouded with cataracts. Fortunately both can be cured.

PS the $1200 glasses may have had small diamonds in the frame holding the $50 lenses.
I see better without the foggy glasses. I lived in Germany for many years. In 1979, in Germany, I bought prescription glasses that cost the equivalent of $30. The lenses are still clear and I wear these when driving at night. My deduction, the $183 glasses from Dr Bizers are vastly overpriced and certainly inferior.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Visvaldis -

…small diamonds put there nefariously by evil Insurance executives bent on making 3.4% profits on people and thus controlling the worlds resources so they can further blind people with foggy eyeglasses!

NOW we understand why we must all join with The Obama and save the world from 3.4% profitmakers!

(insert evil laugh here)

Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Could it be that now the insurance industry has put on a kind and sympathetic mask? Oh, poor us, we barely profit enough to stay in business!
But they were able to give the "Blue Dog" Dems plenty in campaign funds.................and give to Reps too.

It's always party time in Washington...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Just as the trial lawyers were able to fund those who deny that tort reform should be part of any bill. They all take money...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Look at his comments about doctors removing kids tonsils for more profit and amputating diabetes patients feet to make more profit. Outrageous comments in the least form a lawyer.Talk about rethoric from the top.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Health Care Plans Overview: Industry Center - Yahoo! Finance

How outrageous! Profits of a little more than 3%!

This cannot stand!

I guess obama can't really demonize those Americans who are happy with their HC - about 85%.

He's got to find someone to demonize and target as the "enemy".

Never thought I'd see a US President so bent on targeting and demonizing those entities that are an integral part of US growth.

Oh please.. give me a break....

Did you forget about the $700K a DAY that the insurance industry was throwing at defeating reform.

Lets look at CEO salaries.

2007 United Health Care CEO made $124M in total compensation.

Sure.. the profit margins may be "smaller" but those profit margins are EXTREMELY misleading!!

profits.bmp (image)

THis is a blog.. but shows that insurance makes a 3.3% profit margin and is ranked #86 in the free market..

But again.. that is misleading.. when you factor in the overpaid CEO's etc..

Here's another one from USNews in 2005
Why Health Insurers Make Lousy Villains - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

So how again did Obama lie

Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Default So what?

- it's not a very interesting number.

The interesting question is: Where does the premium money actually go? Are funds primarily allocated to patients who need treatment, or to those who specialize in finding faults in paperwork to rescind coverage? How much goes to marketing? How much to lobby against healthcare legislation? How much to defend against lawsuits from those who thought they were covered?

In other words, it would be rather interesting to see a breakdown of the operating expenses and the intake vs. payout scale. With the CEO of United Healthcare making in the neighborhood of $750 million per year, I can't help having a feeling that perhaps the administrative overhead could be slimmed down quite a bit.

Run the damn things as non-profits, regulate the everloving out of them and tell their CEOs that they'll have to make do with just one Gulfstream.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
I was just looking through the highest ranking CEO compensations for the past five years to see just who these CEO were. It was not until number 53 that Cigna's CEO was found. And Cigna is number 5 on the list of largest Healthcare insurance companies.

If you want to see who the real big players are look at the top 52. It should amaze you how well the Resident and Godvernment has helped them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies