Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Supplying Equipment, supplies and money isn't fighting.

Russia and Britain would have been slaughtered without US equipment, money and supplies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:48 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
A draft would be a great idea. Particularly if the remove any deferments. I'd support it 100%.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
If I got drafted I would never, ever cooperate. I would leave the country or something. Or I would just go to jail.

These "wars" the US is in are ridiculous. There's no way I would isk my life for these shamlessly corrupt missions. These "wars" are a major reason why the USAs econoy is in the gutter right now.

What exactly are we doing there in Afghanistan? Are we fighing terrorists? How? I would like to see, specifically what we are doing in Afghanistan that is so great.

I've heard Afghanistan is producing a lot of opium lately, in spite of the Taliban relinquishing control of their poppy fields Rather suspicious huh?

From the moment I saw the bombs dropping on Baghdad in 2003, I knew it was a stupid mistake. They can screw themselves if they think i'll join up with that.
And your sentiments on this matter are exactly why we need a draft. If more people had to sacrifice, there would be a lot more people showing up at the voting booth and voting against future wars.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would like to see all members of congress drafted with no deferments. that is a draft that would take care of a lot of our problems.
And all members of their family down to 3rd cousin.twice removed.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
If I got drafted I would never, ever cooperate. I would leave the country or something. Or I would just go to jail.

These "wars" the US is in are ridiculous. There's no way I would isk my life for these shamlessly corrupt missions. These "wars" are a major reason why the USAs econoy is in the gutter right now.

What exactly are we doing there in Afghanistan? Are we fighing terrorists? How? I would like to see, specifically what we are doing in Afghanistan that is so great.

I've heard Afghanistan is producing a lot of opium lately, in spite of the Taliban relinquishing control of their poppy fields Rather suspicious huh?

From the moment I saw the bombs dropping on Baghdad in 2003, I knew it was a stupid mistake. They can screw themselves if they think i'll join up with that.
Coming from the military your statement makes u seem like a scumbag. Its service to your country regardless if u agree with it. If u did go to war and saved some ones life just think they would have died if u didnt go. Its not about u its helping ur fellow Americans

Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Steve, you're always welcome to move over to active duty.
You can also join the Army outright.
No thanks u make more money on deployments in the national guard and im a police officer so id lose money going active

Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Default buy some vowels and get a clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
With all of the need for extra men that our generals are calling
#1 The Preface - The Second Iraq War is won (no thanks to defeatists and cut-and-runners). Troops and equipment are leaving the country.

#2 - The US's fighting strength in Afghanistan is pathetic. We only had ~36,000 soldiers deployed Jan 1, '09. In Feb 09 we added 17,000 more. Total US armed services deployed in Afghani is ~53,000. The USA's standing armed forces total ~1,450,000. 53K is hardly a drop in the bucket of ~1.5M.

Quote:
for I wonder if a draft will be the only way to get the men? They did it during veit Nam you know....
#3 - They did it because we didnt have a professional army. We do now over a million strong.

Quote:
We cant win the "war"
#4 - Fine lose; only losers lose. You are of the like of the defeatists and cut-and-runners I mentioned in #1.

Quote:
not a real war either
#5 - Because you believe 9-11 was "an inside job". Or you believe that the 9-11 attacks did not deserve reprisal, that we shouldn't have faced off with the Taliban and Al Qeuda in Afghanistan.

Quote:
if we dont have the men, Have all of you 18 to 26 year olds registered yet..Its the law you know....
#6 - We're fine. It's all in your head.

Quote:
Bush got us in so deep...
#7 - Tired, find a new mantra.

IOUAE(Y) - now do your part please

Last edited by mossomo; 09-23-2009 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: /

Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
we cant affort blackwater (40% o the war budget) draft is the answer.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Coming from the military your statement makes u seem like a scumbag. Its service to your country regardless if u agree with it. If u did go to war and saved some ones life just think they would have died if u didnt go. Its not about u its helping ur fellow Americans
If they sent me to Afghanistan I would just smoke up all the opium in that country and chill

Seriously, these Middle-East operations are total BS. We are not there for any noble purpose whatsoever. It's all just shady. Fighting terror and liberating the people are BS excuses for why we are really there.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
With all of the need for extra men that our generals are calling for I wonder if a draft will be the only way to get the men? They did it during veit Nam you know....We cant win the "war" <not a real war either , if we dont have the men, Have all of you 18 to 26 year olds registered yet..Its the law you know....Bush got us in so deep Obama may not have a choise.
We were in Vietnam how many years? and how many young men died?

I don't think a draft is the answer to political war.

Now if indeed this was a "real" war and not just some penis waving contest, then I might be in favor of a draft, but since Iraq and Afganistan are being henpecked to death by politics (like Vietnam was) ... we should bring our troops home and save them for something a little more worthwhile ... like maybe .. a genuine threat to the United States or something like that.

American soldiers should be fighting for our freedom ... let someone else fight for theirs ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies