Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:12 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times

Advertisements

Gun crime: How bad are things really? « Nottingham Graffiti

Interesting how another article has completely different stats to the Mail article.

Living in the UK and the USA i know that the mail article is absolute Rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Does the fact that violence (with and without guns) has been rising fast since they banned law-abiding people from having guns, make any difference to you?
They never had conceled carry rights in UK. Also, violent crime in UK is nothing new. UK has always been the worst in EU. It's in their genes.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:50 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed.

This is why I am a NRA member and got my concealed carry permit. It (concealed carry) takes a little time, with a couple of weekend classes and a shooting proficiency test, but is worth it. I rotate what I carry, but really like the .357 mag, as it is lighter than a .44 mag and I think the high cap mags of the Sigs, HKs, and Beretta semi-autos that we have are unncessary.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM

820 posts, read 1,203,237 times
Fallacy: Murder rates are the only indicator of violence in a society.
Murder is not the only violent crime. Rape , for example , is a violent crime.

[quote=geeoro;11027375]As you can see from actual statistics the Mail article is B/S.

Crime Statistics > Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita Definition Source Printable version Bar Graph Map
Showing latest available data. .td70 { width: 70px; text-align: right; white-space:nowrap; } .td40 { width: 40px; text-align: right; } .td150 { width: 150px; } .td180 { width: 180px; text-align: right; } .td225 { width: 225px; vertical-align: middle; }Rank Countries Amount # 1 Colombia:0.617847 per 1,000 people
... ( Snip for Brevity)....

# 10 Belarus:0.0983495 per 1,000 people
# 11 Ukraine:0.094006 per 1,000 people
...(Sfb)......
# 23 Bulgaria:0.0445638 per 1,000 people
# 24 United States:0.042802 per 1,000 people
... (SFb)..
27 Yemen:0.0336276 per 1,000 people
# 28 Dominica:0.0289733 per 1,000 people
# 29 Azerbaijan:0.0285642 per 1,000 people
# 30 Finland:0.0283362 per 1,000 people
# 31 Slovakia:0.0263303 per 1,000 people
38 Korea, South:0.0196336 per 1,000 people
# 39 Slovenia:0.0179015 per 1,000 people
# 40 France:0.0173272 per 1,000 people
# 41 Czech Republic:0.0169905 per 1,000 people
...( Sfb)....
# 46 United Kingdom:0.0140633 per 1,000 people

"Britian most violent country..." is the thread title.
The statement has not been proven to be false.
The burden of proof has not been met.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed.

This has been common knowlege for those in the know for a long time. Crime in the UK (meaning all crimes) has been much higher than the United States going on 25 almost 30 years. It is rarely reported, because the focus of crime usually only revolves around homicide, which the United States has more of then the UK. However, every other crime statistic i think with the exception of Homicide and Rape the United Kingdom leads the United States. (in some cases by leaps and bounds...like car theft in the UK would make New Jersey car thefts look like amatures lol)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...e-in-europe.do#

When comparing crime rates from various countries you always have to remember there are slight differences in the way crimes may be reported.

In general i think the difference in crimes between the US and the United Kingdom has to do with sentencing laws and gun laws. The United Kingdom is very easy on criminals for most crimes when compared to the United States, which is much tougher on all crimes when compared to the United Kingdom. The other thing i'd like to highlight is the US is the most "diverse" of all the Western Nations and has the least amount of crime. The third reason i think has to do with gun laws. The UK bans the use of hand guns, so their citizens are all not armed, which makes it easy for would be criminals to assault them. In the US individual in a large number of states are allowed to carry concealed weapons (think Health Care debates), so it is in my opinion a much riskier venture to try to rob an American citizen then a british citizen. It is sad how uninformed most Americans are about their own country, but not all that surprising. Most European cities or cities of the world have much more overall crime then the United States. The only stat of great significance in reporting overall crimes that is always pointed out is the high homicide rates in US cities. (Fact US cities have higher homicide rates, but not overall crime or even for that matter higher violent crime rates than british cities...violent crimes consist of murder, robbery, assault, rape, strongarm theft etc)

Most Americans are not to keen even on homicide statistics in their own country. We have too many people that actually believe a random homicidal stranger poses the most threat. However, all homicide statistics in the US going on 70 plus years have consistently pointed to the fact, that most individuals in the United States killed in homicide greater than 80% knew their killer. Shocking but true just go to the FBI web-site and search the statistics for homicide.

It varies by the race of the victim

White women are mostly killed by white males they know
White males are mostly killed by white males they know
Black women are mostly killed by black males they know
Black males are mostly killed by black males they know
Asian women are mostly killed by asian males they know
Asian males are mostly killed by asian males they know
Hispanic women are mostly killed by hispanic males they know
Hispanic males are mostly killed by hispanic males they know

mostly refers to the majority of homicides
they know refers to the relationship to the victim (usually most all homicides in this country the person is a relative, friend, or general acquintance, which is the really scary part)

Last edited by dorock99; 10-07-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They never had conceled carry rights in UK. Also, violent crime in UK is nothing new. UK has always been the worst in EU. It's in their genes.
It has always been very hard for individuals to own guns in the UK and there has never been a tradition of people keeping guns in their homes (unless they were farmers) and certainly no tradition of people carrying guns in the normal course of their everyday activities.

Violent crime in the UK has nothing to do with the lack of availability of guns to the general population. I grew up in the UK and there was violence on the streets then (1960s, 1970s). Where I grew up the weapons of choice were razors and knives.

Violent behavior is built into the British tradition. When I was a kid, the use of the belt was very common at school. That continued until we were old enough to threaten the teacher ... which we did. It was the same with sports. I played rugby from age of 9 and all the way through junior high and high the punches were flying when we played other schools. It was the same when we went to the football. You learned to be street wise and to look after yourself.

In my day, the concept of zero tolerance did not exist. If someone whacked you then you got him back. If you didn't, you were marked out as weak and could expect more of the same. That was normal behavior and that was how our fathers told us to deal with bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies