Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyslp View Post
I don't think that African Americans=black. It has become the politically correct term for black people of African descent, but it is not always accurate. Again, race is not always clear-cut. Some whites who call Africa home do not consider themselves African; others do. My South African neighbor told me she always considered herself African. Who am I to tell her she's not?
If you read his posts on this thread, you'd see his views about race, ethnicity, color, etc, to be a bit skewed. My mother is Belgian/South African and she considers herself so. I'd love to see him tell her, she isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Doesn't make her racist, just means she isn't attracted to them.
I don't think this is about attraction.........

Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyslp View Post
don't think that African Americans=black. It has become the politically correct term for black people of African descent, but it is not always accurate.
African Americans are all black, but not all blacks are African American. It is not a "PC" term for blacks of African descent; it is a term for black Americans who can trace their heritage not to a specific place but to the continent only. Other black groups (Africans, Caribbeans, Latinos) do not fit this description.

Quote:
Again, race is not always clear-cut. Some whites who call Africa home do not consider themselves African; others do. My South African neighbor told me she always considered herself African. Who am I to tell her she's not?
We can't tell her that she's not African. I can tell her she's not African American.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
If you read his posts on this thread, you'd see his views about race, ethnicity, color, etc, to be a bit skewed. My mother is Belgian/South African and she considers herself so. I'd love to see him tell her, she isn't.

What are you talking about?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What are you talking about?
Not you. I was referring to something she was saying to Finn Jarber. Disregard it.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
African Americans are all black, but not all blacks are African American. It is not a "PC" term for blacks of African descent; it is a term for black Americans who can trace their heritage not to a specific place but to the continent only. Other black groups (Africans, Caribbeans, Latinos) do not fit this description.

We can't tell her that she's not African. I can tell her she's not African American.

True on both counts.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:31 PM

52 posts, read 102,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Pretty much always. That news anchor from CNN announced she was black, and I was surprised because I had no idea. I thought she was a Latina. It looks like its the half-blacks themselves who choose to call themselves black.
Not a very good example. This has probably been pointed out before and must be getting overly redundant by now (lol) but "Latina" is not a race. You can be both black and Latina. Gina Torres is a black Cuban. Christina Milian is a black Cuban. Zoe Saldana is a black Dominican. Tego Calderon is a black Puerto Rican. Its funny when people try to differentiate themselves by pointing out their nationality as a means to disprove their race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic

Quote:
Ethnic groups 73% Multiracial, 16% White, 11% Black
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_rico

Quote:
White (mostly Spanish origin) 76.2%, Black 6.9%, Asian 0.3%, Amerindian 0.2%, Mixed 4.4%, other 12%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba

Quote:
65.05% European (Spanish, others), 10.08% African (Igbo, other), 23.84% Mulatto and Mestizo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombia

Last edited by the floacist; 01-31-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Interesting.........Britney kisses every white guy except for the stud black model ??? Interesting....he's basically her chauffer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZuxwVk7TU

Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think you raise an important point. Although any interracial relationship whether it be Black and White or Hispanic and White fall under the label of "Interracial Relationship", the incidence and acceptance is not the same for each race. For example, Hispanic and White relationships is far more accepted and common on screen. I don't think anyone flinches if they see a Latino and a White person but the same can't be said for African Americans and Whites. If Mario Lopez was in a kissing scene with Cameron Diaz, I don't think anyone would think twice or do a double take. Unfortunately, if Will Smith and Cameron Diaz did the same, some would still not be comfortable with that or would take issue with it much moreso than the Hispanic and White or Asian and White.

The latest "it" black girl in hollywood........She seems to always be paired with white men. Is that on purpose or happen stance??

Moderator cut: image removed

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/blogs...pine-chest.jpg

YouTube

Never seen Charliz Theron or Aniston or Diaz bounce around to Jamie Foxx, Morris Chestnut, or Don Cheadle.

It's really pretty glaring.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 04:33 AM

52 posts, read 102,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
The latest "it" black girl in hollywood........She seems to always be paired with white men. Is that on purpose or happen stance??

Never seen Charliz Theron or Aniston or Diaz bounce around to Jamie Foxx, Morris Chestnut, or Don Cheadle.

It's really pretty glaring.
Charlize Theron was paired with Will Smith in a movie.

That said, I think its pretty well known by now that black actresses are often paired with white men in television and movies far more than the other way around, mainly because its least likely to 'offend' anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies