Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM

436 posts, read 874,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I used to be repulsed at Catholic priests in their skirts and kilts, but these are things I have gotten used to and are perfectly normal and acceptable. I think discrete cross dressing could be accepted over time.
Good luck in finding women's plus sizes in today's restricted marketplace, though.
Nobody dress up like a Catholic priests to live in a college dorm.
If dress don't match environmental and cultural tradition, then being repulsed would be foreseeable.
There are some lines that normal people never transpass, here is one good example. There are certain things that people of mainstream society should never be ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I've never been into cross-dressing, but I can understand what it feels like when society tells you you're supposed to be a certain way and your gut tells you something different. It's easy to say "get on with life" when you've never had to deal with it.
EVERYONE has to deal with SOMETHING. And learning to "fit in" is a social skill that everyone needs to have just to get along in life. There are places you can be were the "fit" is different, and people certainly can choose to stay in them, but school and work and the majority of places are pretty much standard. It's not hard to figure out.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
EVERYONE has to deal with SOMETHING. And learning to "fit in" is a social skill that everyone needs to have just to get along in life. There are places you can be were the "fit" is different, and people certainly can choose to stay in them, but school and work and the majority of places are pretty much standard. It's not hard to figure out.
Fitting in is a social construct...by man. Thus, people have the power to change what the social norm is. Minorities were not allowed to "fit" in. We changed the social norms of America to allow minorities to "fit" in. Women were not allowed to "fit" in many places. We changed to allow women. Homosexuals and transgendered individuals should be allowed to fit in as well.

By definition, not everyone has to "fit" in...otherwise there is nothing to "fit" to. Even if everyone had to fit in, there are various degrees.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:11 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
prison?

Old 10-20-2009, 04:17 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Children usually pick up the values of their parents and family because they do not have critical thinking skills or individuality.
Is that how you picked up your liberal viewpoints?

Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Is that how you picked up your liberal viewpoints?
thats somewhat the truth

Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Nobody dress up like a Catholic priests to live in a college dorm.
If dress don't match environmental and cultural tradition, then being repulsed would be foreseeable.
There are some lines that normal people never transpass, here is one good example. There are certain things that people of mainstream society should never be ready.
To me, it was just a matter of being around men in kilts and priests enough to overlook it and appreciate the people. After a while, it seems normal. Initially, it was weird, though.

There are boundaries, but we all have a different set of them. I don't think corporations should be able to fire people because of what they do in their private time, so long as they are not breaking laws, but they can. I think that makes us into slaves - so long as we are working we are not free.

My boundary is somewhere in the vicinity that if you are not hurting another, things are pretty much fine.

There are 'uniforms' and 'faces' we all put on in order to get on in society. I don't tell people what I think of them if they are jerks or butt kissers. I have to work with them.
I understand a dress code for work, and even in school because that prepares kids for a work environment. But at home and on personal time I think people should be given slack to express themselves as individuals.

I, a female, cannot say when the last time was when I wore a skirt. I am frequently dressing as men dress. I am not gay, but practical and like to be comfortable. I got 'dress up' out of my system years ago, but I can certainly understand the impulse and if some men do it out of an inner urge to be free or just as a joke, I can't see the harm in it.

Some people do weird things just for the shock value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies