Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't characterize Fox as un-American. Deceptive, yes. Un-American, no.

They try to present themselves as a news channel, and they simply aren't. They're a tabloid, with a big dose of rightwing opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Too funny, but that would take guts.

Guts that Bush/Cheney clearly lacked for seven years.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Will somene tell me why it is OK for the conservatives to constantly bring up Bush whenver they feel it is appropos, but it is not OK for the liberals to do the same?
Can someone tell me why liberals are so concerned with what people watch on TV? Why does it bother the liberals so much that people watch Fox? I can care less if you watch all of the mis-information on MSNBC or CNN, it's your choice.

If the libs are so worried about whats on TV, shouldn't they be worried about all the violence and garbage that children could have access to on TV?

Liberals and the WH need to stop worrying so much about Fox and what not and concern themselves with real issues.

Katiana, could you give me some insight on that? I've asked it before and no one from the left has answered. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I don't see much difference between any of the cable news channels. They are all mouthpieces for one side or another. On CNN, they're the "touchy-feely" channel, all concerned about minorities and the downtrodden. And they want you to follow them on twitter, blogs etc. One big commercial.
As far as the press examining itself, this applies to newspapers, news magazines and all other sources of "news". Fox does just as well as the others. They're all slanted.
That "century-old tradition" of the press being independent is just a memory.
One of those rare posts where nothing more needs to be said.
Well done lizjo!

Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Any news organization that took its responsibilities seriously would take pains to cover presidential criticism fairly. It would regard doing so as itself a test of integrity. At Fox, by contrast, complaints of unfairness prompt only hoots of derision and demands for "evidence" that, when presented, is brushed off and ignored.
Rather than in any way maturing, Fox has in recent months become more boisterous and demagogic.
What's most distinctive about the American press is not its freedom but its century-old tradition of independence—that it serves the public interest rather than those of parties, persuasions, or pressure groups.....For Murdoch, Ailes, and company, "fair and balanced" is a necessary lie. To admit that their coverage is slanted by design would violate the American understanding of the media's role in democracy and our idea of what constitutes fair play. But it's a demonstrable deceit that no longer deserves equal time.
Why Fox News Is Un-American | Newsweek Newsweek Voices - Jacob Weisberg | Newsweek.com

YouTube - Klavan On The Culture

Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Can someone tell me why liberals are so concerned with what people watch on TV? Why does it bother the liberals so much that people watch Fox? I can care less if you watch all of the mis-information on MSNBC or CNN, it's your choice.

If the libs are so worried about whats on TV, shouldn't they be worried about all the violence and garbage that children could have access to on TV?

Liberals and the WH need to stop worrying so much about Fox and what not and concern themselves with real issues.

Katiana, could you give me some insight on that? I've asked it before and no one from the left has answered. Thanks.
I'm not Katiana, but here's my take, with your kind permission.

I'm not concerned with what you watch. If Fox is your speed, keep it in that gear all day long. My beef isn't with the viewers. I suspect most who object to Fox feel the same way.

The issue is that Fox repeatedly and consistently misrepresents events. They claim these incidents are just "mistakes." But they occur so often and in such a consistent manner that no one seriously accepts that excuse.

I don't want to see Fox regulated or restricted or censored.

I just want them to be honest. Stop trying to sell themselves as a news channel. Just admit that they are what they are: a tabloid.

PS: I'm not a lib or a lefty, either. But the current state of political discourse makes me appear to be.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

I'm not concerned with what you watch. If Fox is your speed, keep it in that gear all day long. My beef isn't with the viewers. I suspect most who object to Fox feel the same way.

The issue is that Fox repeatedly and consistently misrepresents events. They claim these incidents are just "mistakes." But they occur so often and in such a consistent manner that no one seriously accepts that excuse.

I just want them to be honest. Stop trying to sell themselves as a news channel. Just admit that they are what they are: a tabloid.

PS: I'm not a lib or a lefty, either. But the current state of political discourse makes me appear to be.
Thanks for your insight. I agree that they have mislead their viewers, embellished stories to make them more interesting, etc... Their "Fair and Balanced" tag line could be up to debate.

My issue with the attacks from the left is that it is well known that CNN and MSNBC for example, have lied probably just as much (if not more in CNN's case because they were the first cable news network). But their lies are more in favor of the WH and Fox's lies are more against.

Some of Fox's shows are for entertainment, just like on CNN/MSNBC....take Joy Behr for example on HNL. I can see those shows, being labled as "tabloid-ish".

Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 AM

I should add, that we as Americans should all be demanding that the news networks start being news networks again....all of them, not just Fox.

The news is supposed to hold the politicians feet to the fire, how else can the regular American hold them responsible for things?

I know Obama is trying. He is not perfect, nor is his administration. They may try to do things they think is right, but is un-constitutional....should the news inform the Americans of that and let us decide, or should the news look the other way because Obama is "just trying to do the right thing"?

Reagan and others broke the law, even though they felt they were "just doing what was best for America".

Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

YouTube - Rude CNN Reporter Needs Fired Tea Party interview CNN TeaParty Tax

Brutally Honest: The un-edited Gibson-Palin Interview transcript

CNN’s Drew Griffin Warps Quote From National Review in Palin Interview | NewsBusters.org

Flashback: MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Touted False Limbaugh Quote in June | NewsBusters.org

EDITORIAL: False reports about guns - Washington Times

MSNBC Admits: 'Unable to Verify' False Limbaugh Quote; No Retraction or Apology

MSNBC retracts false Palin story; others duped - USATODAY.com

Conservatives4Palin.com: Surprise: People Magazine Gets it Wrong; Updated: MSNBC Repeats False Claim (http://www.conservatives4palin.com/2009/10/surprise-people-magazine-gets-it-wrong.html - broken link)

I could go on...

Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yet the left continues to deny this stuff...only Fox lies!

This is why people have such a hard to believing the left, because they just want to attack Fox since that is what Obama is doing. But they ignore the lies on the other networks, because those networks are in favor of Obama....that is what is biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies