Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
In case you didn't notice, this ain't England.
So true. Look at our nice, white teeth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:48 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
There are also apparently too many egotistical and fantasy-imbibing jurists, who, fearing the will of the people, take delicate situations into THEIR hands and make pronouncements that have riven our country asunder and made us an unhappy, divided mob instead of a democracy. I refer specifically to Roe v. Wade, which remains the greatest example of genocide in human history, and the main reason our country is obessed with death and offers as an acceptable life-style choice the elevatation of the ego over the common good to a degree that is sociopathological.
you know, there is a reason why we vote for these people. there is a reason why not every single issue if decided upon by the American people and is left in the hand of those we voted for. don't vote if you aren't prepared to have those you vote for take some issues out of your hands and make some decisions for you (you in the general sense). vote against them if you don't agree w/ them. they don't always make the right decisions, but then again, neither does the average narrow minded, judgmental, racist, sexist, homophobic fool (but guess who I trust more of the two?)

Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Did the people of England ***** and gripe about it like they are doing in the US?

Booooo hoooo the gays wanna get married booooo hooo that is so so horrible. Booo hoooo Jesus this Jesus that. Booo hoo.
No, most people are indifferent or think its the right thing to do. There was more whining about it not being called marriage- might as well call a spade a spade. Oddly non operative transsexuals can get married here, but not gays/lesbians. Its only like this because some bishops have seats in the house of lords.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
But lets remember what Jesus said booooooo hoooooooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
No, most people are indifferent or think its the right thing to do. There was more whining about it not being called marriage- might as well call a spade a spade. Oddly non operative transsexuals can get married here, but not gays/lesbians. Its only like this because some bishops have seats in the house of lords.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So true. Look at our nice, white teeth.
mine are white

Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I am of the FIRM belief that had the decision for segregation been put to a vote, I'd still be sitting at the back of the bus and going to an all-black school to this day. my brother would have never been allowed to marry his white Irish wife if the issue of interracial marriage had been put to a popular vote and my two wonderful nephews wouldn't be here. at the very least, most of the South would still be segregated if people there had a chance to vote for/against desegregation. equal rights of a minority shouldn't be voted upon by a majority. I don't understand why people don't get that. people seem to think that b/c we're a "democracy" we get to vote upon EVERY single facet of a person's life, from who they marry, what a woman does w/ her body, where they sit, eat, go to school, etc. you don't have the right to make those personal decisions for me and it shouldn't even be put up to a vote. sorry, but there are too many stupid, narrow minded, judgmental people out there to put such delicate situations into their hand.
In the states of California, Maine, Washington state, and others where the government put forth initiatives to allow gays to marry, the people voted against it and said not in my backyard.

Just as when desegregation laws were initiated, a vote by THE PEOPLE could have overturned these laws if congress had been motivated to do so. Being black is not abnormal so why would anyone vote to deny black people the right to sit at the front of a bus? Abortion is a medical procedure so why should anyone tell a woman what she can do with her body?

Nobody is denying homosexuals the right to exist, gays exist it's a fact of life. What people disagree with are activist judges and state elected officials who have been persuaded by a band of lobbyists pushing forth the homosexual agenda which includes marriage.

The public is not having it and they prove it time after time with their vote.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
In case you didn't notice, this ain't England.
I think the question was weather other goverments had given their electorates a vote on gay marriage.

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Boo hoo but two men together damages the fabric of our society. It is against Jesus and Pastor Peepers. Boo hoo I shart myself every time two men kiss.

Quote:
In the states of California, Maine, Washington state, and others where the government put forth initiatives to allow gays to marry, the people voted against it and said not in my backyard.

Just as when desegregation laws were initiated, a vote by THE PEOPLE could have overturned these laws if congress had been motivated to do so. Being black is not abnormal so why would anyone vote to deny black people the right to sit at the front of a bus? Abortion is a medical procedure so why should anyone tell a woman what she can do with her body?

Nobody is denying homosexuals the right to exist, gays exist it's a fact of life. What people disagree with are activist judges and state elected officials who have been persuaded by a band of lobbyists pushing forth the homosexual agenda which includes marriage.

The public is not having it and they prove it time after time with their vote.

4,657 posts, read 8,715,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, but do you also call it "judicial activism" when it's conservatives who win a court case? My hunch is that you don't.
If conservative judges (if such an animal exists) legislated from the bench against the will of the people, of course I would.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,715,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the rights of the minority should never be decided by the will of the majority.

that's why we have a constitution and bill of rights.

if we'd waited til the majority approved of interracial marriage to make it legal, it would have been legalized in the 90s.

Most Americans Approve of Interracial Marriages
Because 5-7% of the population chooses to put their genitalia in places that the majority of people do not does not make them a minority. I'm a lefty, am I a "minority?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies