Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:34 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,092,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The answer is on the internet you know.

Same-sex marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Canada - by court decree (government).

In the Netherlands - by their government.

In Norway - by their government (marriage bill)

In South Africa - by their government

In Spain - by their government

In Sweden - by their government

So there's your answer.

NO NATION ON THE PLANET HAS EVER ALLOWED GAY MARRIAGE TO BECOME LEGAL BY A VOTE OF THE PEOPLE.

THE GOVERNMENT HAS DECIDED IN EVERY CASE TO ALLOW HOMOSEXUALS TO MARRY.

Somehow we must force the issue of gay marriage to be voted on by the people. This is why liberals are a danger to society. They find ways to block the will of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:34 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
the rights of the minority should never be decided by the will of the majority.

that's why we have a constitution and bill of rights.

if we'd waited til the majority approved of interracial marriage to make it legal, it would have been legalized in the 90s.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/28417/mos...marriages.aspx

Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Did the people of England ***** and gripe about it like they are doing in the US?

Booooo hoooo the gays wanna get married booooo hooo that is so so horrible. Booo hoooo Jesus this Jesus that. Booo hoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
In the UK when civil partnerships were brought in, most people were asking why it was not called civil marriage. People refer to it as gay marriage.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:36 PM

WTH are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Somehow we must force the issue of gay marriage to be voted on by the people. This is why liberals are a danger to society. They find ways to block the will of the people.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:

NO NATION ON THE PLANET HAS EVER ALLOWED GAY MARRIAGE TO BECOME LEGAL BY A VOTE OF THE PEOPLE.

THE GOVERNMENT HAS DECIDED IN EVERY CASE TO ALLOW HOMOSEXUALS TO MARRY.
So this is a good thing I would think.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
I am of the FIRM belief that had the decision for segregation been put to a vote, I'd still be sitting at the back of the bus and going to an all-black school to this day. my brother would have never been allowed to marry his white Irish wife if the issue of interracial marriage had been put to a popular vote and my two wonderful nephews wouldn't be here today. at the very least, most of the South would still be segregated if people there had a chance to vote for/against desegregation. equal rights of a minority shouldn't be voted upon by a majority. I don't understand why people don't get that. people seem to think that b/c we're a "democracy" we get to vote upon EVERY single facet of a person's life, from who they marry, what a woman does w/ her body, where they sit, eat, go to school, etc. you don't have the right to make those personal decisions for me and it shouldn't even be put up to a vote. sorry, but there are too many stupid, narrow minded, judgmental people out there to put such delicate situations into their hand.

Last edited by eevee; 11-04-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM

The majority are sometimes power-hungry idiots with no soul. Also does the majority even vote? There are how many millions of people in each state that don't give a flying poot about voting on these idiotic issues that the government should figure out on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I am of the FIRM belief that had the decision for desegregation been put to a vote, I'd still be sitting at the back of the bus and going to an all-black to this day. at the very least, most of the South would still be segregated if people there had a chance to vote for/against desegregation. equal rights of a minority shouldn't be voted upon by a majority. I don't understand why people don't get that. people seem to think that b/c we're a "democracy" we get to vote upon EVERY single facet of a person's life, from who they marry, what a woman does w/ her body, where they sit, eat, go to school, etc. you don't have the right to make those personal decisions for me and it shouldn't even be put up to a vote. sorry, but there are too many stupid, narrow minded, judgmental people out there to put such delicate situations into their hand.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-04-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 12:43 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Did the people of England ***** and gripe about it like they are doing in the US?

Booooo hoooo the gays wanna get married booooo hooo that is so so horrible. Booo hoooo Jesus this Jesus that. Booo hoo.

In case you didn't notice, this ain't England.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Boo hooo I don't want gays to get married. Mommy told me it was wrong.

Quote:
In case you didn't notice, this ain't England.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
sorry, but there are too many stupid, narrow minded, judgmental people out there to put such delicate situations into their hand.
There are also apparently too many egotistical and fantasy-imbibing jurists, who, fearing the will of the people, take delicate situations into THEIR hands and make pronouncements that have riven our country asunder and made us an unhappy, divided mob instead of a democracy. I refer specifically to Roe v. Wade, which remains the greatest example of genocide in human history, and the main reason our country is obessed with death and offers as an acceptable life-style choice the elevatation of the ego over the common good to a degree that is sociopathological.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies