Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Technically, yes, you are a minority - or at least you are "in the minority".

I know we're arguing semantics here. You're talking about legal terminology; I'm just talking about the straight (no pun intended) definition of the word.

I didn't know there was such a thing as "minority loans". If a private company wants to set up a loan program like that, however, I have no problem with it. I would have a problem with the government doing it.

I'm against affirmative action, by the way.
Really, that's almost as bad as me not realizing last nights vote was Washington State, not D.C.

Minority Business Loans

According to the latest census, you are, by definition a minority in SoCal. Try applying for one of these loans; actually, come to think of it, it would make for quite an interesting class action, if you were to be denied. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
Default Of Course

One could argue were civil rights for African Americans ever voted for by a majority vote of the population? Or for that matter, the Bill of Rights was never voted for by a majority of the people.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
is that what it comes down to?

you really have a fascination with genitalia...

homosexuals are a group that has existed since time immemorial and a group that has constantly been discriminated against.
now they are becoming a protected group... like women, people with disabilites, religious groups, blacks, browns. weve written that into law. gays should not be discriminated against based on who they love.

how hard is that to understand?

oh and last i checked "bondage americans" werent being beaten or killed for being such.
Which is utterly absurd. There are gay conservatives, gay liberals, gay men who are total flamers and gay men who are macho and love sports, gays for gay marriage and gays against gay marriage. In other words, there is zero, zero difference between gays and straights except for what you do with and where you put your genitalia. You're not special, your average, and gross.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I thnik its been reported to have been voted on and rejected in like 36 states now.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Your bias leaked out. I'm not against gays at all. I don't even know what that means or how one would enact their "againstness."
did I say you specifically? I said "people", I was being general. and in case you haven't read or seen the news lately, people "enact" their "againstness" against gays in many ways: fire them for being gay, discriminate against them for being gay, even attack and kill them for being gay

in the end, I guess the people of Maine weren't ready to be more open minded. hell, according to one article I read, the state only just recently banned discrimination against gays b/c folks voted against the ban. again, the majority of folks voted to ALLOW discrimination against gays. sad. this is yet another reason why the majority shouldn't be allowed to vote on the rights of the minority. the majority allowed discrimination against gays to continue for 5 more years.

"Maine has struggled with gay rights in the past. In 1998 and in 2000, lawmakers voted to ban discrimination against gays and lesbians but voters narrowly struck down those laws. The law was ultimately approved in 2005."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mai...ge_law/?page=2

Last edited by eevee; 11-04-2009 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 11-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
did I say you specifically? I said "people", I was being general. and in case you haven't read or seen the news lately, people "enact" their "againstness" against gays in many ways: fire them for being gay, discriminate against them for being gay, even attack and kill them for being gay

in the end, I guess the people of Maine weren't ready to be more open. hell, according to one article I read, the state only just recently banned discrimination against gays b/c folks voted against the ban. again, the majority of folks voted to ALLOW discrimination against gays. sad. this is yet another reason why the majority shouldn't be allowed to vote on the rights of the minority. the majority allowed discrimination against gays to continue for 5 more years.
fire them for being fat, discriminate against them for being fat, even attack and kill them for being fat

fire them for being Christian, discriminate against them for being Christian, even attack and kill them for being Christian

fire them for being atheist, discriminate against them for being atheist, even attack and kill them for being atheist

Like I said, you're not special, you're average.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Really, that's almost as bad as me not realizing last nights vote was Washington State, not D.C.

Minority Business Loans

According to the latest census, you are, by definition a minority in SoCal. Try applying for one of these loans; actually, come to think of it, it would make for quite an interesting class action, if you were to be denied. lol
Definitely interesting. Good points.

And yes, all of the classifying and dividing us up by status does become tiring. From a legal standpoint, I do think we should all be treated equally - and I would even apply that to my opinions about the marriage laws. But from a personal standpoint, there's no doubt that people are different. Whether or not the law should get involved with those differences is the big question.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,981 times
In CA no judges made it legal. They simply determined that by CA law is wasn't illegal and so legal by default. There was no legislation from the bench as many claim.

Then the people of CA had an election to make a new law that specifically made it illegal. So now it's illegal. Many claim that the courts were making laws but that simply isn't the case. The majority of the voters obviously wanted it to be illegal.

CA may have it's share of insanities but it's an incredibly democratic state. We're always voting on all sorts of stuff.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik its been reported to have been voted on and rejected in like 36 states now.
Thirty-one, to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Definitely interesting. Good points.

And yes, all of the classifying and dividing us up by status does become tiring. From a legal standpoint, I do think we should all be treated equally - and I would even apply that to my opinions about the marriage laws. But from a personal standpoint, there's no doubt that people are different. Whether or not the law should get involved with those differences is the big question.

Good post.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies