Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,438 times

Advertisements

I don't know where else to post this and didn't see any posts regarding this...

So many jobs have moved offshore as companies find ways to cut spending, as you all know. I believe it began in the 80s or 90s with British firms offshoring their jobs to India, with their strong colonial ties, and US firms followed.

Industries that have moved American jobs overseas:

Airlines, banks, law firms, computer companies, graphic design companies, movie studios, and of course manufacturing.

Oh, and Americans are getting surgeries and dental care overseas too. So, what kind of jobs will there be in America if we can't compete with low prices of the foreign market?

India offers skilled English-speaking workers with cheap wages -- who can compete with that?!

I know i don't sound optimistic but just exactly what can we do that NO ONE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY can do? (P.S. We can't all work for the government!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
I'm suffering from insomnia this good thursday morning, so, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I think this thread is going places.

Well, we're all aware of the American jobs lost over the years to offshoring. Cheaper labor and manufacturing by countries who pay their workers slave wages. We (Americans) don't stand a chance, we cannot compete. We can't compete because of our standards of quality of life.

Wouldn't we all just love to grab and shake those bastards and ******* who sold us out? The American Dream:
A Great paying job
A nice comfortable home
A family
A good dependable car
A nice family meal
A comfortable life, planning of retirement in the golden years
ALL DOWN THE TOILY

What's Left for us?

Free advice: Young folks, stay in school, and older folks, further your education and take up more than one trade or skill because the one you're pursuing right now may become obsolete some day.

There are mostly openings for health care workers, and service industry employment.

I don't know where America is headed, and I'm not sure most of us want to be there, when we arrive at it's destination.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
we could go back to being a self sustaining country! we have plenty of assets and more than enough workers. we need to have small businesses grow, which each service small groups of clients. everything in america has been geared for BIGGY sizing, and maybe we need to think smaller. we have to stop allowing the big corporations to blackmail america and bribe our politicians. if oil is the reason that we have to suck up to the world, why don't we work on an alliance with canada (where we get most of our oil anyway) and start developing our own oil reserves. it seems that our unwillingness to make OURSELVES energy independent is always coming back to bite us. we could throwing insane amounts of money at other countries and spend it on our own energy development. if we got any kind of breakthrough, other countries would want to follow suit.

america has always excelled in innovation.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,273,142 times
I remember when Robert Reich, the liberal economist, was on tv pushing for this like it was the best thing since sliced bread telling us it would only make for a better economy in the US and if we lost any jobs it would only be those we didn't want anyway - we were going high tech white collar. I knew it (and he) were trouble then and couldn't understand why it didn't raise a red flag.

Now we have both types of jobs leaving precicely because of hi tech and will have to look more closely at blue collar and hands on jobs that can't be off-shored. Ironic isn't it? I too see more people clamoring to get secure govt jobs and the increase in them will spell a whole 'nother problem when retirements come due.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:56 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we could go back to being a self sustaining country! we have plenty of assets and more than enough workers. we need to have small businesses grow, which each service small groups of clients. everything in america has been geared for BIGGY sizing, and maybe we need to think smaller. we have to stop allowing the big corporations to blackmail america and bribe our politicians. if oil is the reason that we have to suck up to the world, why don't we work on an alliance with canada (where we get most of our oil anyway) and start developing our own oil reserves. it seems that our unwillingness to make OURSELVES energy independent is always coming back to bite us. we could throwing insane amounts of money at other countries and spend it on our own energy development. if we got any kind of breakthrough, other countries would want to follow suit.

america has always excelled in innovation.
The US could never be energy independant unless it gets off oil. What there is to replace it with I don't know. Besides, globalisation is the result of cheap oil. No (cheap) oil= no globalisation. Remember the oil price spikes last year? Well you've seen nothing yet.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
i voted for perot twice, never mind that they laughed and jeered at him for his comment warning that there'd be a 'giant sucking sound' of jobs moving to mexico if nafta passed.
clearly he was 100% correct.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
The US could never be energy independant unless it gets off oil. What there is to replace it with I don't know. Besides, globalisation is the result of cheap oil. No (cheap) oil= no globalisation. Remember the oil price spikes last year? Well you've seen nothing yet.
if we have our own energy, we have no need for globalization.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
Live simply, stay healthy, save some money, Don't keep up with the Jones's (who appointed THEM God?) Help someone who is worse off than you are. Shop wisely. Find some inner peace, and don't allow negative people to bring you down.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,431,637 times
We could stop taxing the hell out of our local businesses and companies so it would be attractive to do business here. You can't expect them to just stay around even though the tax rates make it almost impossible to turn a profit. It costs a lot of money to move offshore. They'd MUCH prefer to stay here, but the government needs to make it attractive.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
We could stop taxing the hell out of our local businesses and companies so it would be attractive to do business here. You can't expect them to just stay around even though the tax rates make it almost impossible to turn a profit. It costs a lot of money to move offshore. They'd MUCH prefer to stay here, but the government needs to make it attractive.
Yeah really, let's not allow the U.S. Government to tax businesses at all, let's just let them manufacture or whatever they do to be a business, and not tax them at all, let corporations have everything for free. Let's even give them free utilities, gas, electric, whatever they need, and pass of wastewater and waste materials as they wish, and put that burden on you and me too, so the corporations can get profitable and stay profitable on our backs.

Meanwhile, back in Washington, when they come crying for bailouts and say how they're not making it, let Uncle Sam give them money to stay afloat, we'll be glad to pay for it all.
^^^^^^^TOTAL SARCASIM^^^^^^^^^

In the event that some people are not aware of, many states across America HAVE given incentives for big business to either build in their state, or stay in their state, or to make upgrades in manufacturing in their state.

Here is just one example:
Kentucky Governor Beshear Signs Landmark Business Incentives Bill - Manufacturing & Technology eJournal

So, you see, local Government is already GIVING! How much more do big businesses want us to give to them on our backs, just to obtain or keep a job? I used to live in a community in which our local Government sold our asses down the river. Our property taxes were jacked by as much as 14% in a two year period of time, just to attract new business, and keep businesses from moving away. One of the businesses was jelly belly. Another was an alloy castings manufacturer, they received local Government incentive to stay and the corporation slashed employee pay and benefits too. Cherry electric is another who followed suit by cutting employee pay and benefits to remain solvent, and also received local Government help.

I would go so far as to say that while some corporations are receiving incentives, they're reducing the quality of life for their employees, which I believe is highly unethical, especially when the Government is helping them to stay in business or in bringing new manufacturing jobs to states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies