Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: left or right
left 69 54.76%
right 57 45.24%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:52 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually from what I see it looks about even, not a choice, and that there is a large number of Independents also not a choice that do not fall under either label 100% of the time. Tell ya what, go and join some of the many other discussion boards out there and after spending a little time come back and tell everyone what you think of them and what you think of this board. I have, either the site turns out to be a far left backslapping party or a rightwing backslapping party, neither situation makes for good political discussion. On this site the mods do a good job of keeping everything fairly civil, heck even I have had a couple of posts deleted by them, but so far they seem fair. I can assure you that mods on some other sites are no where near as fair and balanced, some do not care how far the posts go, in fact they encourage it.
Casper
i got banned before the election, so i tend to think this is a left-leaning forum.

i have watched people change their political positions over time so i do think this forum generally allows free speech and interpretation on the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
There appears to be more conservatives on this forum and C-D in general. I wonder what the median age is around here?

Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Left wingers...but over time...the longer Obama is in office they more quiet they are getting...I do feel sorry for them and I mean that!

It is sad that they overwhelmingly stood behind the man they choice to become their president and of course ours too...but now they are wakening up to reality and except from a few stuborn...are realizing that Obama isn't filling up their gas tank and not doing anything for them...we already knew that but that it would become such a president...I never thought he would go for worse president ever...shame on him, for letting all his voters down.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:52 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Left wingers...but over time...the longer Obama is in office they more quiet they are getting...I do feel sorry for them and I mean that!

It is sad that they overwhelmingly stood behind the man they choice to become their president and of course ours too...but now they are wakening up to reality and except from a few stuborn...are realizing that Obama isn't filling up their gas tank and not doing anything for them...we already knew that but that it would become such a president...I never thought he would go for worse president ever...shame on him, for letting all his voters down.
Not saying you felt this way, but its probably similar to how republicans felt about Bush.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:08 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
What I was trying to say I guess is that the whole issue is very confused in the USA because most on the right do not know what "Left" even means. It's like those teapartiers saying "Keep the government out of my medicare". That just about defines the whole debate.
The definition of conservative and liberal varies from one area to another. What a Brit for example would consider a conservative, the average US American would consider pretty far to the left. The same is true even within the US. There's a lot of difference between a California Democrat and a Georgia Democrat.

I would tend to disagree with your assessment that the right doesn't know what the left is. If you really read through these threads, you might find those who claim to be on the left tend to have a very narrow view of what a conservative is. Consider for a moment that conservatives are generally older than liberals and as may come as a surprise to many liberals, were actually quite liberal in their youth too. I tend to think more conservatives understand both sides of the fence than do liberals.

Fundamentally we all want to live in that idyllic world where everyone is happy and everything is fair but at some point most of us get slapped in the face with reality enough to realize that the world just doesn't work that way.
Look at the health care issue. The left assumes the right is against the concept but in reality, they are more concerned with the government's abysmal history running social programs. It's not that they don't want health care reform but they simply know from experience that the government will screw it up. It's sort of like letting Sloppy Sam pack your parachute.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
The definition of conservative and liberal varies from one area to another. What a Brit for example would consider a conservative, the average US American would consider pretty far to the left. The same is true even within the US. There's a lot of difference between a California Democrat and a Georgia Democrat.

I would tend to disagree with your assessment that the right doesn't know what the left is. If you really read through these threads, you might find those who claim to be on the left tend to have a very narrow view of what a conservative is. Consider for a moment that conservatives are generally older than liberals and as may come as a surprise to many liberals, were actually quite liberal in their youth too. I tend to think more conservatives understand both sides of the fence than do liberals.

Fundamentally we all want to live in that idyllic world where everyone is happy and everything is fair but at some point most of us get slapped in the face with reality enough to realize that the world just doesn't work that way.
Look at the health care issue. The left assumes the right is against the concept but in reality, they are more concerned with the government's abysmal history running social programs. It's not that they don't want health care reform but they simply know from experience that the government will screw it up. It's sort of like letting Sloppy Sam pack your parachute.
You've nailed it in so many ways, Joe!! I hope that liberals will be able to read and absorb what you said. Many liberals seem to have the idea that all conservatives are Bible-thumping rednecks (we're not) and many conservatives have the idea that all liberals are whiney, bleeding hearts who haven't a clue how the real world works.

Two thumbs up for ya!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:44 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Yes, but msot of us live in the U.S. And I don't think there's much of a difference between the Democrats here. Just moderate and liberal Democrats. Dosen't make much of a difference too me. They agree on the most issues.

Btw, I am very left, but I don't think there are many of us here.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Yes, but msot of us live in the U.S. And I don't think there's much of a difference between the Democrats here. Just moderate and liberal Democrats. Dosen't make much of a difference too me. They agree on the most issues.

Btw, I am very left, but I don't think there are many of us here.
I think this place is full of far left liberals but then I don't look at myself as a far right conservative and, in fact, told pollster the other day that I am just conservative.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think this place is full of far left liberals but then I don't look at myself as a far right conservative and, in fact, told pollster the other day that I am just conservative.
roy, I've read your posts for a long, long time. You are, indeed, a far right conservative. And I'm far left.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Definitely more leftists and most of those seem to be of the extreme radical bent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies