Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalela View Post
I would say it has more to do with economy. Poor people are generally more voilent and prone to criminal acts because they have less to lose and in America, unfortunately, blacks are more poor than other races, specially whites, on average.
Economy definately plays a part, but it is also due to a certain mentality many young black people have. It's sort of a chip on their shoulder, as if they were doomed from birth to be criminals. I always here this excuse, how they were raised poor and had so little opportunity. Well, I was raised poor and have had to fight for every single thing I have ever gotten. It would have been much easier to go the route of crime to get the things I wanted, but my common sense told me what path was the safe path. Perhaps this is the problem, a general lack in common sense or planning. Perhaps these people live a little too much according to what's best at the moment to accomodate their needs. I simply don't really know the whole answer.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:56 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
Ever read the Freakonomics theory about abortion and crime? It's interesting (ie, crime is lower because abortion is available for low-income/high-crime propensity groups).

Abortion and crime: who should you believe? - Freakonomics Blog - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Economy definately plays a part, but it is also due to a certain mentality many young black people have. It's sort of a chip on their shoulder, as if they were doomed from birth to be criminals. I always here this excuse, how they were raised poor and had so little opportunity. Well, I was raised poor and have had to fight for every single thing I have ever gotten. It would have been much easier to go the route of crime to get the things I wanted, but my common sense told me what path was the safe path. Perhaps this is the problem, a general lack in common sense or planning.
Maybe the problem is that many blacks think working hard to get out of poverty is a futile endeavor because "the man" will just fire him from whatever job he gets anyway? The black self-defeatist/crab bucket mentality is a huge problem that needs to be rectified.

Also, many Americans in general possess a sense of entitlement. When they graduate college and find that the world isn't their oyster, not everybody thinks they're a genius, and they're not given a six figure job right away, their little world falls apart, and they blame others for their failures.

Last edited by renault; 11-19-2009 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
White Flight happens for a reason.

Those who cram diversity down our collective throats need only look at racial makeup of the cities with high crime rates to understand.

Statistics don't lie.

If it comes down to diversity or protecting my family from the criminal scum of this earth.....well I believe you know the answer to that. I flew the coop a long time ago.
It doesn't always work that way. My family moved to an area that was "suppose" to be safer. There was less diversity, much less. It didn't protect me from the pathologies that existed there.

You might look up the racial makeup of those cities, but you need to look at other things, such as unemployment rates and poverty rates. If those same persons of color were making alot more money, had more job skills, and better education, do you think the crime rates in places like Newark and Detroit would be as high as they are now? The way you talk, you assume that ALL Black people are naturally criminals. Tell that to me, an African-American who has never broken the law, who is in college and not out there committing crimes. BTW, those so-called diverse areas you don't like,well, there was something I noticed. I had fewer,if any, race issues when I was living in an area that was very diverse. Those issues only came up when I left and went to an area that my father thought would be "safer", at least that is what I experienced. I speak from personal experience.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGX159 View Post
I'm not being racist when I say this(can't I'm black too) that if the black population is above 30% the crime rate is higher, if the black population is higher than other races and make up a majority, the crime rate skyrockets. And if it's equal to any other race, it skyrockets as well.

Then when I find places where the white population is about 80-90 %, there's hardly any crime at all.

Is a higher population in Blacks in towns and cities forcing people to move???

The Bahamas has a super high GDP and a good quality of life. (African race country part of the British commonwealth)

The problem in the U.S. is that our media/hollywood is too racist towards US nationals of African ancestry.

We have been brainwashed to believe they are a disease, inferior, murderes, thugs, etc. Everytime I watch a movie, the African dude has to play the role of a rapist or a convict, etc.

Most of the people don´t realize how the media affects our decision towards people of African background. This is why a regular employer is more likely to hire a light skinned candidate over a dark skinned one.

Look at this Michael Moore documentary...how the police treats the blacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFfUxBDMDY

Last edited by Eduardo983; 11-19-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
The Bahamas has a super high GDP and a good quality of life. (African race country part of the British commonwealth)

The problem in the U.S. is that our media/hollywood is too racist towards US nationals of African ancestry.

We have been brainwashed to believe they are a disease, inferior, murderes, thugs, etc. Everytime I watch a movie, the African dude has to play the role of a rapist or a convict, etc.

Most of the people don´t realize how the media affects our decision towards people of African background. This is why a regular employer is more likely to hire a light skinned candidate over a dark skinned one.

Look at this Michael Moore documentary...how the police treats the blacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFfUxBDMDY
Even further, there is another video to take a look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UJlNRODZHA

Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It doesn't always work that way. My family moved to an area that was "suppose" to be safer. There was less diversity, much less. It didn't protect me from the pathologies that existed there.

You might look up the racial makeup of those cities, but you need to look at other things, such as unemployment rates and poverty rates. If those same persons of color were making alot more money, had more job skills, and better education, do you think the crime rates in places like Newark and Detroit would be as high as they are now? The way you talk, you assume that ALL Black people are naturally criminals. Tell that to me, an African-American who has never broken the law, who is in college and not out there committing crimes. BTW, those so-called diverse areas you don't like,well, there was something I noticed. I had fewer,if any, race issues when I was living in an area that was very diverse. Those issues only came up when I left and went to an area that my father thought would be "safer", at least that is what I experienced. I speak from personal experience.
You read into my statement way too much. High crime rates appear to correlate directly with certain racial makeups. The crime rate is the reason I moved into the suburbs, not the racial makeup. If the city were majority black and crime rates were consistent with those of majority white cities, then I would have never moved away.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,444 times
Crime activity is increasing all over the US & this is for all races.
I think this has a lot to do with the economy, especially all of the robberies.

Some people try to make it seem like the increase in crime is only a "Black thing" & this is not true.

According to an article in the "Huffington Post Newspaper", there seems to be a racial shift in drug crime rates accross the US.
Racial Shift In Drug-Crime Prisoners: More Whites And Fewer Blacks

The article in the link above mentions an increase in convictions for whites committing drug crimes & a decrease for blacks.

I have a friend who lives in Northern Virginia & she said the hispanic crime rate has really increased.

Also, There seems to be an increase in Hispanic gang related activities (the MS-13 gang) in counties surrounding the DC area.
On NBC news last month, a hispanic gang in VA has been accused of raping and robbing young women as young as 13 years old.

According to the "Washington Post Newspaper", the DC & PG County areas, which are majority Black,has seen a noticeable decrease in violent crime rates over the past year.
Drop in Violent Crime in D.C. Area and Some Other Major Cities Puzzles Experts - washingtonpost.com

The media always seem to only report crimes committed by one race group & this is not fair.
This could be very misleading to the public eye!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:21 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Very true...it has more to do with the economics of an area than race. There are majority black middle-class (and up) neighborhoods in Atlanta where crime is very low. The higher-crime areas are inevitably areas with rampant poverty.
That is true to an extent, but we can not ignore the possible influence of cultural influence either. That is, the black "ghetto" culture tends to encourage a moralistic behavior that supports such direction. This is why there are many black people who come down hard on the rap and "gansta" culture for advocating certain lifestyle behaviors to which encourage crime.

That is not to say that certain sub cultures within each race don't also have their negative influences, but it would be a bit narrow to assume it is simply poverty to which attributes to such actions. I personally think sub culture plays a large part in it.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Crime activity is increasing all over the US & this is for all races.
I think this has a lot to do with the economy, especially all of the robberies.

Some people try to make it seem like the increase in crime is only a "Black thing" & this is not true.

According to an article in the "Huffington Post Newspaper", there seems to be a racial shift in drug crime rates accross the US.
Racial Shift In Drug-Crime Prisoners: More Whites And Fewer Blacks

The article in the link above mentions an increase in convictions for whites committing drug crimes & a decrease for blacks.

I have a friend who lives in Northern Virginia & she said the hispanic crime rate has really increased.

Also, There seems to be an increase in Hispanic gang related activities (the MS-13 gang) in counties surrounding the DC area.
On NBC news last month, a hispanic gang in VA has been accused of raping and robbing young women as young as 13 years old.

According to the "Washington Post Newspaper", the DC & PG County areas, which are majority Black,has seen a noticeable decrease in violent crime rates over the past year.
Drop in Violent Crime in D.C. Area and Some Other Major Cities Puzzles Experts - washingtonpost.com

The media always seem to only report crimes committed by one race group & this is not fair.
This could be very misleading to the public eye!
My view on it is this. People off all races and ethnicities committ crimes. In many cases, it is a matter of who gets caught. i haven't noticed an uptick in drug activity, but I have noticed these "control pathology" crimes, such as mass shootings occurring since the recession started. These mass shootings are what I notice are going on. Not just Ft. Hood, but at a nursing home in San Jose, a Nebraska mall shooting, police shooting in Pittsburgh, etc. I notice more of this wholesale violence.

Last edited by green_mariner; 11-19-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 12:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
In some cultures, mostly sub cultures, crime has been normalized and accepted. Even glamorized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies