Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i respectfully disagree well into 1992 i saw blatant examples of discrimination that would have cost a male supervisor his job pdq.
i am having trouble understanding how you can hold the movement blameless for demanding fair treatment but not giving it. this extends past nursing but also to social work and other "pink collar" jobs. nevertheless you did a good and interesting post you got rep.
(and if you are a nurse well i admire them greatly)
Yes I am a nurse, and personally never saw discrimination. That's not to say it didn't happen though as nurses are pretty hard on each other, regardless of gender. I'm not quite sure where the woman's movement fits in though. Are you saying they actively discriminated, or should have actively tried to prevent discrimination. Sorry I'm just not clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:43 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The old "she can't carry someone out of a burning building" scenario.

Did it EVER occur to you that some women CAN be strong? No, it didn't. Did it ever occur to you that some MEN are not very strong? No, it didn't. So women should be excluded from an occupation that they MAY or MAY not be able to do because they MIGHT not be able to do it ? But men should be allowed to have a job they MAY or MAY NOT be able to do???

OK! Well first off I said MOST women are not as strong as MOST men. Are there exeptions to every rule? Of course.
Now on to my point, you can't just walk in and be a firefighter. You have to pass a test, a physical test at that. Now that test is not the same for women as it is men. It is easier for women, they do not have to do the same amount of push-ups and they get longer time allowances during the running portion.

SO, if all things were equal and the tests were the same and a woman passed good for her come on in. However that is not the case. So I would have to say that I would rather have a guy who had to pass a higher standard physical test pulling me out of a burning building.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes I am a nurse, and personally never saw discrimination. That's not to say it didn't happen though as nurses are pretty hard on each other, regardless of gender. I'm not quite sure where the woman's movement fits in though. Are you saying they actively discriminated, or should have actively tried to prevent discrimination. Sorry I'm just not clear.
Gotta kind of agree with zimbo on this. While I was very young during the 1970s, as a student of social movements now I am having a hard time understanding how male nurses would have been discriminated against in the 1970s. From what I understand, the early feminist writers that I have read would have welcomed men embracing what was widely regarded as women's work. Whether in the public or private sphere, they would have loved for men to embrace teaching, working with, or caring for children, for example. As a kid, maybe I got an early exposure to these men--my two favorite teachers, oddly, now that I think about it, were my elementary school gym teacher and my fifth grade teacher, who, out of all my teachers way back when, saw my curiosity and nurtured it. Both were caring and kind men upon whom I look back fondly.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There's discrimination everywhere, it's just different and most people don't see it as such. I also work in a hospital, whenever theres a heavy patient guess who they call? Whenever there's heavy lifting or a physical task it's my shoulder that gets tapped. For the most part I don't care but every once and a while when my back hurts and there's three women standing there looking at me it irks me.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:47 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
OK! Well first off I said MOST women are not as strong as MOST men. Are there exeptions to every rule? Of course.
Now on to my point, you can't just walk in and be a firefighter. You have to pass a test, a physical test at that. Now that test is not the same for women as it is men. It is easier for women, they do not have to do the same amount of push-ups and they get longer time allowances during the running portion.

SO, if all things were equal and the tests were the same and a woman passed good for her come on in. However that is not the case. So I would have to say that I would rather have a guy who had to pass a higher standard physical test pulling me out of a burning building.
Well, if you're ever in a burning building , (and as a big strong man you can't get yourself out) tell the female firefighter that shows up to rescue you, "No, thanks".

Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
There's discrimination everywhere, it's just different and most people don't see it as such. I also work in a hospital, whenever theres a heavy patient guess who they call? Whenever there's heavy lifting or a physical task it's my shoulder that gets tapped. For the most part I don't care but every once and a while when my back hurts and there's three women standing there looking at me it irks me.
That is a "lack of proper training" issue. Take it up with the supervisor. (That discrimination based on sex is a real B---c, isn't it??!!)

Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I approve. No doubt about it.

Should women just sit at home and breed babies all day and be the [MOD CUT/language] of men? Don't think so.
This comment displays the typical sophistication and nuanced thinking of liberals on anything left of center.
Oh yes, that's what we think over here. 'Cept we like 'em better wifout shose on.
They're very passionate and quite angry about something. But it's not us.
They also swear too much.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
That is a "lack of proper training" issue. Take it up with the supervisor. (That discrimination based on sex is a real B---c, isn't it??!!)
No it's a "he's strong he'll do it" issue. I'm sure firefighters get it all the time.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
No it's a "he's strong he'll do it" issue. I'm sure firefighters get it all the time.
probably the hardest to take was in civil service where in the early 80's in SF i saw an avalanche of level 1 supervisor and middle management positions taken by women direct from the typing pool while guys like me rotted in the typing pool, later i got hard skills and figured out how to beat the gender game, but until then i felt there was something wrong with me. later i found these gals were not that qualified and did not keep the positions. the hard part was listening to all the mandatory lectures on discrimination against women while watching them all pass me up with less qualifications.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
I have a very low opinion of feminism.

It's a supremacy movement.

I've seen no other so called "equality" movement so eager to demonize the opposite, and I've seen no other movement with members who resort to hatred of the opposite. No other "oppressed" group enjoys more rights and less responsibilities. I've seen no other movement so eager to see the opposite fail, burn and crash and become inferior to them.

Other movements are about equal opportunity, feminism is about dominance.

Now I bet the feminists, three in particular, are going to trot out all sorts of nasty names about me....I really don't care. I have long learned not to respect the opinions of radical feminists.

Let me guess some typical feminist insults....

"I bet you can't get a date"......yea I have no trouble with that, I've found many women who treat me as an equal and don't think they're better than me, they consider themselves equal....unlike the feminists who seem to be under the illusion that they're superior to men.

or "you're misogynist"....typical feminist insult.....well y'all are very misandric, so I don't really care what y'all call me....

It's pretty simple.... I don't give a squat what feminists have to say, and they don't give a squat what I have to say....mutual dislike I guess....

To anyone interested......this link provides an explanation of some of the reasons I have such a strong dislike for feminism, and proves reason why their "victim" and " we're only about equality" claims are bogus.....

THE MYTH OF MALE POWER by WARREN FARRELL, Ph.D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies